How do you drive the finish line? Lets talk strategy?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2006, 11:16 PM
7 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah!
- what Taco said, since he's the expert
Old 04-29-2006, 07:53 AM
"The Drag Racing Director"

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Taco
OK, there are different methods some think are better for bracket racing.

Depending on many varying factors, and it's a topic that can be discussed and debated for hours (and pages!).

There are those the believe that it is better to run your own race. This method is great if you know you can trust your car to run the number on a very consistent basis. You try to hit the tree (I personally always try to hit the tree, dialing tight or holding some in my pocket) and never let up, hoping to get there first without breaking out.

The other method is to hit the tree (always!) and dial "up" (i.e. you think your ::: will run 12.00, you dial 12.05) and use the brakes to keep from breaking out. The advantage (to me anyway) is that you will be so far ahead of the other car nearing the finish line that they will think (some seem to think anyway) that they are not going to get there first and they will "dump" thinking you are going to break out. You dump too and try to stay above your dial in to take the win.

Both work well if you can hit the tree and (a) your car is very consistent or (b) you can drive the finish line well enough to consistently "take the stripe" (get to the finish line first) and not break out.

I personally like to dial up a hundredth or maybe .02 and "rip" the gas (on-off-on-off the gas pedal) a few times to stay on the winning side of my dial in.

Do what you want to do, practice practice practice. Most importantly, learn to hit the tree good on a consistent basis (.010 / .510 or so regularly in pro (electronics) and .025 / .525 in footbrake) and learn what your car does.

It takes some time to learn, but it is a lot of fun when you do.

Nothing like turning loose of the button, knowing you're "good" on the tree, and running up on the guy in the other lane and "whomp-whomp-whomping" the gas and taking the stripe by .005!!!

Taco, your resident bracket expert (I know how to do it, not necessarily good at it though!)
I could not of said it better myself. Taco is the MAN!!!!!!!

Coach
Old 04-30-2006, 01:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Villain281H
Yeah!
- what Taco said, since he's the expert
Hey, like I said, I know "how it's done", not that I'm necessarily good at putting on the timeslip!

Thanks for the props!

Taco
Old 04-30-2006, 03:59 PM
7 Second Club

Yep we can talk how to get it done on the track, but doing it is another subject all together!
Old 04-30-2006, 05:45 PM
TECH Addict

I dial a hundreth over what I think my car will run. Then I count on cutting a good light. I rarely lift unless I'm winning the race by a good bit.
Old 05-01-2006, 12:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tom the roofer
I dial a hundreth over what I think my car will run. Then I count on cutting a good light. I rarely lift unless I'm winning the race by a good bit.
If I'm reading correctly, that sounds like a surefire formula for a break out.

Did you mean a hundredth UNDER what you think you will run (You think it will go 9.80, you dial 9.79?)

Taco
Old 05-01-2006, 11:50 PM
Staging Lane

Yep we can talk how to get it done on the track, but doing it is another subject all together!
I think this is where we could start the debate on the % of luck involved also
Old 05-01-2006, 11:53 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ty_ty13
im not in favor of that... but if i saw that they didnt have a dial on their car i would return the favor
This all started cuz of others who have done it to me! All part of the games
the first one to try this on me I have seen them miss dial thier car by a full sec befor!
Old 05-02-2006, 07:04 AM
7 Second Club

Originally Posted by jake b.(killer quad)
I think this is where we could start the debate on the % of luck involved also
I can't remember who said this:

"Racing is 80% skill, 20% luck, but I'll gladly flip those percentages!" I know luck has quite a bit to do with it, even when your skill is there.

Example:

Our electronics final this past weekend:

R/U - .007 light, dead-on dial with a 7. A great package, but when your opponent is .001 and dead-on dial with a 1, what can you do?

Derek
Old 05-02-2006, 08:01 AM
"The Drag Racing Director"

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I can't remember who said this:

"Racing is 80% skill, 20% luck, but I'll gladly flip those percentages!" I know luck has quite a bit to do with it, even when your skill is there.

Example:

Our electronics final this past weekend:

R/U - .007 light, dead-on dial with a 7. A great package, but when your opponent is .001 and dead-on dial with a 1, what can you do?

Derek
In a race this close, be glad you made it to the finals and hopefully ya'll split the money.

Coach
Old 05-02-2006, 08:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

awesome thanks alot guys. guess it takes alot of practice. wish i had something more fun to do it in.
Old 05-02-2006, 11:23 AM
7 Second Club

Originally Posted by Coach 02 A3 Z/28
In a race this close, be glad you made it to the finals and hopefully ya'll split the money.

Coach
Coach,

I'm not sure about the 2 dragsters splitting back, but the guy I ran and I split the purse which made the 2 thousandths break-out a little easier to accept.

Derek
Old 05-02-2006, 12:32 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Taco
If I'm reading correctly, that sounds like a surefire formula for a break out.

Did you mean a hundredth UNDER what you think you will run (You think it will go 9.80, you dial 9.79?)

Taco
Yes that is what I meant. Damn tequilla
Old 05-02-2006, 03:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tom the roofer
Yes that is what I meant. Damn tequilla

Getcha every time!

I would say luck (even thought many say you make your own luck) is more like 40% (that being, opponents' red-lights, break-out, parts breakages and other random "Eff-Up's" along with hitting a .002 and dead-on for a low-thousandths package, I usually call both in one run luck!).

Just my opinion though. I know plenty of guys who make their own luck and only need it about 4% of the time. The name Scotty Richardson come to mind again...

Taco
Old 05-02-2006, 03:49 PM
7 Second Club

the dirty dozen made there own luck a few years back
Old 05-02-2006, 09:10 PM
7 Second Club

And that's why they are called such.

IMHO, if you have to cheat to win, you are not a real drag racer.

Edmond, Scotty, etc. They do their job, and a lot of wins come from people screwing up trying too hard to beat them. I saw a stat on dragraceresults about Scotty last year having red-lights against him by about a 1/3 of his opponents.

Derek
Old 05-02-2006, 11:53 PM
Staging Lane

Edmond, Scotty, etc. They do their job, and a lot of wins come from people screwing up trying too hard to beat them. I saw a stat on dragraceresults about Scotty last year having red-lights against him by about a 1/3 of his opponents.

Derek
The bigger name you have for yourself helps intimidate opponents.
I know running bracketraces at certian events were majority of the racers are not bracket regulars, but they know I am, the red lights are so much more frequent. Now I just need to get the people at my home track more scared of me! lol
Old 05-03-2006, 11:26 AM
7 Second Club

Originally Posted by jake b.(killer quad)
Now I just need to get the people at my home track more scared of me! lol
Good luck, not too many people feared at my local track, but I know of one. If you can footbrake in the electronics class and still win a good # of races, that's getting it done!

Derek
Old 05-03-2006, 11:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cool thread.

I always try to dial what I think the car will run. The hardest part is trusting the car to run the number. I try to watch qualifying as much as possible to see if my opponent is dialing soft or not. I don't like to dial soft because the faster you go the more dangerous it can be (Locking your brakes up at 120+ is not smart). I try to never let off the gas because it lets my opponent know what's going on. Late model F-Bodies have a very low front bumber (hint, hint) (I'll let you guys guess how that can be an advantage at the finish line!). During the burnout I try to pick a spot on my opponents car, so that I can better judge a close race. Lastly I pray that luck is on my side and that my screw up is less than the other guy's!!

Good Luck,

Daren
Old 05-05-2006, 10:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GIZMO
Cool thread.

Late model F-Bodies have a very low front bumber (hint, hint) (I'll let you guys guess how that can be an advantage at the finish line!).
Good Luck,

Daren
Excellent Hint Daren!

Some black tape on the forward most part of the front bumper on light colored cars is a good thing. I had a black tab under the front bumper just high enough off the track to be legal Light colored cars such as white, silver, light grey, yellow, etc. can affect the beams and sometimes cause slight errors in the recorded ET. How many times have you guys in light colored cars thought that you had the stripe and got put on the trailor by a .00x??... It doesn't mater who got to the finish line first. Whoever breaks the beams first gets the win.

Quick Reply: How do you drive the finish line? Lets talk strategy?