M/T DR didn`t work!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 07:39 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WILWAXU
I have to agree with everyone else, you have something wrong with your setup, or doing something seriously wrong.

I don't agree with lowering the tire pressure. I've seen 1.4x 60ft's out of mine at 20-22psi. IMO, they got worst with less air.
I'll have to bump my psi up next time i go because last October i cut a 1.47 60ft. with 15psi in them. Alot depends on the track prep from what i see .
Old 09-05-2006, 08:23 AM
Old Drag Racer

Originally Posted by StreetStalker
I'll have to bump my psi up next time i go because last October i cut a 1.47 60ft. with 15psi in them. Alot depends on the track prep from what i see .

If you cut that 60' with 15 PSI, don't expect to do a lot better at the 60' with 20-22 PSI in the tires. However, if you can still hook and 60' the same, expect your incrementals to be better at every point because of the lesser rolling resistance afforded by the higher PSI. It won't be much but it may be .02-.03 by the 1320' and maybe .2-.3 MPH as well. What size tire and could you possibly give us some details on your setup? Thanks.

On the burnout subject, my MT's seem to like some heat in them. 275/50-15's BTW. A small burnout w/o much tire smoke and I get a little bit of spin for the first few feet and 1.62-1.63 60' times. A longer burnout and smoke kinda like in that vid in the link earlier and my 60's drop into the high 1.5 range with no wheelspin whatsoever. Also as was mentioned earlier I swear trap prep has something to do with it. Then again, my car is an A4 so none of this may have any bearing on the original poster's dilema.
I believe with an M6 some Hoosier QTP's will be easier for you to get the results your looking for as compared to the MT radial. The sidewall flex of the QTP's are just so much more forgiving of the drivetrain shock with the M6 at launch. Good luck at the track.
Old 09-05-2006, 08:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

What rear gear and diff are you running? ie: 10 bolt and 3.42s or 12 bolt and 4.10?

Old 09-05-2006, 10:29 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Smokinstorm
If you cut that 60' with 15 PSI, don't expect to do a lot better at the 60' with 20-22 PSI in the tires. However, if you can still hook and 60' the same, expect your incrementals to be better at every point because of the lesser rolling resistance afforded by the higher PSI. It won't be much but it may be .02-.03 by the 1320' and maybe .2-.3 MPH as well. What size tire and could you possibly give us some details on your setup? Thanks.

On the burnout subject, my MT's seem to like some heat in them. 275/50-15's BTW. A small burnout w/o much tire smoke and I get a little bit of spin for the first few feet and 1.62-1.63 60' times. A longer burnout and smoke kinda like in that vid in the link earlier and my 60's drop into the high 1.5 range with no wheelspin whatsoever. Also as was mentioned earlier I swear trap prep has something to do with it. Then again, my car is an A4 so none of this may have any bearing on the original poster's dilema.
I believe with an M6 some Hoosier QTP's will be easier for you to get the results your looking for as compared to the MT radial. The sidewall flex of the QTP's are just so much more forgiving of the drivetrain shock with the M6 at launch. Good luck at the track.
Your not telling me something new. If you can hook the same with 20psi vs. 15psi you will always run a faster mph and quicker ET.
Old 09-05-2006, 11:30 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by prostock_bigblock
Thanks for finding me the video, I did a simialar burnout but yours started smoking very fast .

I dont know whats the problem, I used nitto on my old m6 car and i cut 1.5 on them ....ummm looks like I need another visit to the track soon
NP. We wasted a couple sets figuring this out. We found out by accident. I had 30psi in my tires cause I drive them on the street and we forgot to let air out. I made a pass and cut a good 60ft. Greg remembered about the psi and let air out well I spun with a heavy burnout. So he added more did better added more did better and so on. At 22 psi she hooked and we have kept her there since. The burnout we kept trying different stuff thats when we realized the MT DRs didn't like big burnouts. You just need to play till you find what your setup likes thats really all we did. Don't give up so easy. I ran Nittos first when I went to the MTs I have not yet used another tire.
Old 09-05-2006, 11:35 AM
12 Second Club

Well surely there is something wrong. anyways , yes a 10 bolt witha stock 3.42 gear ratio, I`ve tried all methods that day to get the car hook up. I have done soo many passes before with stick and auto cars and did 1.4 and 1.5 60` .

before about a month, i used to have a 2 inch lowering springs and decided to go back to stock ride height by puting back the stock springs and adjusting the pinion angle and did an alignment too.
Old 09-05-2006, 02:26 PM
10 Second Club

not a great comparison, but our 05 mustang with MT's and 4.10 gears cuts consistant mid 1.8x's dumping the clutch it at 5k. we put about 20psi in them and do a small burnout.
Old 09-05-2006, 05:33 PM
King of the radial tires

In a 363 rwhp Z06/M12/3.42/stock LS6 clutch, after 50 passes on stock tires and 250 on BFG 315.35.17 DR, I made 50 passes on MT Street Radials 275.40.17. The gave very consistent 60' once I figured out the burnout protocol.

I'd suggest that is your issue too...the burnout protocol.

With the MT Radials, this is what works:
(1) first pass of the day a good smoky burnout.
(2) all subsequent passes that day, spin the tires to just first whiffs of smoke and then back out of the throttle. Adjust the driver-side mirror to monitor the left tire smoke. MT technical calls this protocol "just hazing the tires."

If (2), instead is a another full smoky burnout, you bring oils to the tire surface that costs you .15-.20 on the 60' and some additional on the 1-2, 2-3.

The is a magic trick about the MT Radial; I have personally watched at least five C5Z06 owners set PR 60' the first day at the track after learning this trick.

FWIW, after a lot of experimentation, I found 20-22 psi hot produced the best 60', 330' and ET and trap for me. With my set-up (first para) I need 600-1000 more of a launch rpm than on the BFGs to permit a touch of wheel-spin on the launch. Any less and the MT Radials would bog. That is the benefit of a proper burnout protocol.

If it weren't for TM and the finicky LS7 clutch, I'd be doing those strong MT Radial launches on my C6Z and running some much faster times. Oh well.

Ranger
Old 09-06-2006, 02:08 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Ranger
In a 363 rwhp Z06/M12/3.42/stock LS6 clutch, after 50 passes on stock tires and 250 on BFG 315.35.17 DR, I made 50 passes on MT Street Radials 275.40.17. The gave very consistent 60' once I figured out the burnout protocol.

I'd suggest that is your issue too...the burnout protocol.

With the MT Radials, this is what works:
(1) first pass of the day a good smoky burnout.
(2) all subsequent passes that day, spin the tires to just first whiffs of smoke and then back out of the throttle. Adjust the driver-side mirror to monitor the left tire smoke. MT technical calls this protocol "just hazing the tires."

If (2), instead is a another full smoky burnout, you bring oils to the tire surface that costs you .15-.20 on the 60' and some additional on the 1-2, 2-3.

The is a magic trick about the MT Radial; I have personally watched at least five C5Z06 owners set PR 60' the first day at the track after learning this trick.

FWIW, after a lot of experimentation, I found 20-22 psi hot produced the best 60', 330' and ET and trap for me. With my set-up (first para) I need 600-1000 more of a launch rpm than on the BFGs to permit a touch of wheel-spin on the launch. Any less and the MT Radials would bog. That is the benefit of a proper burnout protocol.

If it weren't for TM and the finicky LS7 clutch, I'd be doing those strong MT Radial launches on my C6Z and running some much faster times. Oh well.

Ranger

Thanks Ranger, actually Thats the way I did it, I`ve done all what u mention( not saying u r repeating things), Iv`e used and tried this protocol, the fact that this what I exactly did all day except that for every run I decrease the air pressure.

Looks like another visit to the track is needed very soon

any other opinions out there?
Old 09-06-2006, 02:20 PM
King of the radial tires

Thanks Ranger, actually Thats the way I did it, I`ve done all what u mention( not saying u r repeating things), Iv`e used and tried this protocol, the fact that this what I exactly did all day except that for every run I decrease the air pressure.

any other opinions out there?
Here you said you did a "reasonably smokey burnout."

well the way i did it is setting the tire pressure at 15 psi( thats for the best run) and did a reasonable smokey burnout , steped on the line and holded the clutch at 2600 rpm and slipped it .( I tried dumping , but 60` was worser).
Not trying to split hairs...but the 2d pass on the protocol is just the briefest whiff of smoke; if you're producing reasonable smokey burnout after the first passes, it's too much.

The procedure for ET Radials is different from ET bias-ply.

What is your procedure for use of water on the tires?

Another alternative is that you are hammering the throttle rather than making a progressive squeeze.

Ranger
Old 09-06-2006, 02:41 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is the car spinning or bogging?, I cant hardly see the car spinning that bad, even on a marginal track.

David
Old 09-06-2006, 02:52 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Ranger
Here you said you did a "reasonably smokey burnout."

Not trying to split hairs...but the 2d pass on the protocol is just the briefest whiff of smoke; if you're producing reasonable smokey burnout after the first passes, it's too much.

The procedure for ET Radials is different from ET bias-ply.

What is your procedure for use of water on the tires?

Another alternative is that you are hammering the throttle rather than making a progressive squeeze.

Ranger

Ok .. let me get this straight, First of all at 7 PM I went to the line, didnt get water in front tires, and went back to the water(for rear tires) to get them little wet then passed the water and did a solid burnout with a very good smoke , pressure at first run was about 22 psi, stepped on the line & hold it at 2600 RPM and slipped it , and here is a 12.7 with 2.1 60`.

I did after that 5 more passes and with every pass I lower the air pressure 2 or 3 psi and ended up at 8:45 with a 2.ish 60` range and with a small burnout just to see the smoke.

at about 9:30pm decided to do another smokey reasonable burn out( not like the first one) and dumpped the clutch but didnt work.

at 10:30pm went back to the usual process with other for passes till I got a 12.5 with 2.006 best .
Old 09-06-2006, 02:56 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
Is the car spinning or bogging?, I cant hardly see the car spinning that bad, even on a marginal track.

David
ya it does spin, but it kinds of fall at its face when going second gear.
Old 09-06-2006, 03:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i love the MT on my M6 14psi nice buronout and 1.72 stock suspension and clutch.
Old 09-06-2006, 06:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

ya it does spin, but it kinds of fall at its face when going second gear.
you have your answer. if you spin you loaded the rear tire. when you went into second and it bogs that means the suspension unloaded on you.

its in the suspension.
Old 09-06-2006, 06:37 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by gator's 99TA
you have your answer. if you spin you loaded the rear tire. when you went into second and it bogs that means the suspension unloaded on you.

its in the suspension.
any advise John?
Old 09-06-2006, 07:11 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Maybe I missed the set up but give me some shock settings. These tire work it just takes some tuning.

225-343-9029
Old 09-06-2006, 07:17 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MADMAN
Maybe I missed the set up but give me some shock settings. These tire work it just takes some tuning.

Never mind I found it. Its the suspension. Those tire will net you killer 60ft if you get some good suspension parts. Alot is in the shocks.

225-343-9029
Old 09-06-2006, 07:54 PM
11 Second Club

12.5 with a 2.0 60ft.

hum what am i doing wrong?

j/w what was your wheather like?
Old 09-06-2006, 08:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

madman is the authority on setting up an fbody car. very cool of him to come in and help.

madman i will hit ya up when i am ready to push these 325 radials of mine.

Quick Reply: M/T DR didn`t work!!!