07 Z06 Bone Stock 11s

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2006 | 01:17 PM
King of the radial tires

Originally Posted by TLUZLS1
Could you elaborate on the shift points affecting the trap speed? Which shift points would give a stock ls1 the highest trap speed?
Because I'm driving a different platform, I can't give you an answer for your SS, but I can show you how to determine the answer for yourself.

There are two good ways to figure out optimal shift points.
(1) If your driving is dialed-in, then through experimentation. That's the way I did it. Starting with a target just below the limiter and then working down in 100 rpm increments. I found lower rpm shifts brought slower times
and lower trap speeds.

(2) Compute the shift point that give most rwhp throughout the pass in each gear. To do that you need the tranny ratios and an excel spreadsheet output of your dyno run. The dyno operator can print one for you. Here is a thread on the procedure: http://www.allpar.com/eek/hp-vs-torque.html

Once you do the calculation for (2), be sure to field-check the results by doing passes.

Using GTech Pro RR or SS, once properly calibrated for your car, will help you discern the actual shift points you achieve, which sometimes vary from those intended.

Ranger
Old 09-22-2006 | 01:24 PM
6600 rpm clutch dump of death Administrator

The LS7 clutch has a little more surface area, but I don't think it has any more clamp than the C5 Z06 clutch. I haven't had a chance to check this personally, so I can't say that definitively. If the clamp on the clutch is higher, it is marginally better.

I believe this to be the case because folks who are installing the LS7 clutch in earlier model vehicles are finding the exact same issues they had with the C5Z06 and other stock clutches (clutch stick to the floor, etc...). It simply requires more power to get to that level.

I've heard of one shop selling LS7 retrofits kits who has had a 20% failure rate on Ls7 clutches for this reason alone.
Old 09-22-2006 | 01:54 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder
20 Year Member

I've heard of one 450rwhp Z5 glazing an LS7 clutch that was retrofitted.
Old 10-07-2006 | 03:20 PM
Staging Lane

love that car.........

Quick Reply: 07 Z06 Bone Stock 11s