First few runs in the SS with new motor

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 03:16 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First few runs in the SS with new motor

ok, Im not around this board much but back in Aug 2005 my stock motor blew up and I finally got the new setup on the road this March.

I took it to the track about 2 weeks ago. My ETs werent impressive at all, but i was expecting that. I just wanted to see how the car ran and held together. I had major traction issues since i was running bald street tiresand i knew traction would be a problem from the beginning but i want my 10 bolt to hold up a little longer. My best time that day was 13.9@112 and best MPH was 14.0@113.48. That was with about 2.4 60' times haha.

Yesterday i got back to the track and this time i put on a set of old camaro wheels and tires with good tread, still street tires though. My best run then was a 12.9@115.05 and highest mph was 115.15. On the 12.9 run, my 60' was 2.257. I was still having traction issues off the line and during my 1-2 and 2-3 shifts. On my second to last run i blew a lot of smoke downtrack, i checked everything over, nothing seemed wrong, I then did my last run and threw my balancer off just before the line, taking out a few other parts. Repairs will be done eventually, but that last run i still did a 14.0@67mph lol.

Overall the 12.9@115 on street tires made me pretty happy considering im still running on the stock tune, something im taking care of asap. Once its tuned for the cam, LTs, ported TB, and injectors, it should show a lot more potential. Then once i get my axle brace installed, ill throw a set of DRs on the rear and see what it can really do. I'm hoping to trap around 120 when all is said and done.
Old 05-03-2007, 04:49 PM
7 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definately has the power shown in the trap speed. Get it all figured out and with a little bit of practice, 11's should happen.

6-speed or auto?

Derek
Old 05-03-2007, 11:01 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its a 6 speed, and i have the textralia clutch. My traction issues are that when i let the clutch out in the next gear and floor it, I instantly spin the tires, lol. And im not powershifting, i'm letting off the gas fully, making the shift then back into it. On the 2-3 shift it honestly feels like the car practically jumps sideways on the track a few inches. I was datalogging every run so far and each time, you can see a noticeable rise in MPH right after the shifts, not just 3 or 4 mph, like 5-10. That got better a little with the newer set of tires, now i dont see as large a mph jump from 3rd-4th like i did with the bald tires. Oh and the guys at the track/starting line at one point stopped me to inform me that i'm making my 1-2 shift exactly as the track goes from concrete to asphalt, and theres a slight unevenness there which is causing my tires to jump and spin even more. They suggested i try to get the shift done early like on my most recent run, the 12.9. On that run, i shifted out of 1st early, around 5k, and actually managed to control the tire spin into 2nd(not eliminate it though) but later attempts to try that again were ruined by major spin off the line in 1st. Then the 7th run ended everything for the night. Now an electric waterpump, tubular k member, and a bump steer tie-rod kit are in the plans.

Oh and also, i havent driven this car for 1.5 years. Ive only been driving it the past month(1400 miles so far) so im still getting used to it again, and even before this, i had only raced it 3 times total. So launching and all i have to learn haha

Quick Reply: First few runs in the SS with new motor