NHRA to run Top Fuel/FC to 1000' starting in Denver

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2008 | 12:33 PM
Banned

if you guys are in it for records, you must not be watching many races since there hasn't been a record broken in about 2 years.... sucks being a numbers fan I guess....
Old 07-04-2008 | 12:46 PM
12 Second Club

Uh, about half of them were broke last year. Its only gonna likely happen at the beginning and end of a season anyway so somebody watching for records to be broken is kinda silly.
http://www.nhra.com/stats/natrecord.html
Old 07-05-2008 | 12:01 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Klive
if you guys are in it for records, you must not be watching many races since there hasn't been a record broken in about 2 years.... sucks being a numbers fan I guess....
If the numbers mean nothing, why do they show them to everyone after every single race? Why even measure et and mph? Just see who crosses the line first and that should be good enough for all of us, huh?

Shut up, you're an *******.
Old 07-05-2008 | 03:12 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by troopercar
If the numbers mean nothing, why do they show them to everyone after every single race? Why even measure et and mph? Just see who crosses the line first and that should be good enough for all of us, huh?

Shut up, you're an *******.
they show them because they cater to the numbers fans and the people that don't know what it is about. if the cars were running 5.30s@280 99% of the "fans" wouldn't have a CLUE they were running slower if the NHRA went ahead and put up 4.55@326... Seeing who crosses the line first is ALL THAT MATTERS in any racing. I could care less who goes quicker or faster, and so could just about ANY other real fan or racer.
Old 07-05-2008 | 11:18 PM
Banned

they show them because they cater to the numbers fans and the people that don't know what it is about. if the cars were running 5.30s@280 99% of the "fans" wouldn't have a CLUE they were running slower if the NHRA went ahead and put up 4.55@326... Seeing who crosses the line first is ALL THAT MATTERS in any racing. I could care less who goes quicker or faster, and so could just about ANY other real fan or racer.
Damn those baseball fans who like to see records broken, home runs, no hitters, and like big numbers. Damn those baseball fans who go to the hall of fame and gawk at the career stats of the best who ever played. Those aren't the REAL fans. The REAL fans only care about world series titles, and wins!

Old 07-06-2008 | 12:04 AM
Banned

that is a TERRIBLE comparrison... going to the hall to admire someone's achievements in a career is different than going to a sporting event just for the soul purpose to see someone break a record. There are maybe 3 tracks where records get set if they do... so by you guys math they should just shut down the others and just race at the ones that it happens at. I would MUCH rather have a hand full of super bowl rings and get ***** because I have them than get into the hall of fame and get nothing out of it.
Old 07-06-2008 | 12:22 AM
Banned

that is a TERRIBLE comparrison... going to the hall to admire someone's achievements in a career is different than going to a sporting event just for the soul purpose to see someone break a record. There are maybe 3 tracks where records get set if they do... so by you guys math they should just shut down the others and just race at the ones that it happens at. I would MUCH rather have a hand full of super bowl rings and get ***** because I have them than get into the hall of fame and get nothing out of it.
lol get *****? who the **** brought that up? Maybe you need to go out and rent some. If you are that concerned about who the "true fans" are or not, dig the grease out from under your fingernails, and go get laid! With whichever gender you like.

You must be one of those close minded people who think that if it isn't your way, it's wrong.

Were all the people who overpayed to see Cal Ripken break Lou Gehrig's "iron man" consecutive games played record not true fans? Should they have only been there to see the Orioles win the game? C'mon man..

Should all the people who bought tickets to every game between McGuire's 61st and 62nd hr's to break Maris's record be called fake fans because they wanted to be present for history?

You said there are 3 tracks where records fall. Is viewership or attendance significantly higher for those 3 tracks? Do they attract the same number of fans?

I'd like you to address all the questions please.
Old 07-06-2008 | 12:33 AM
Banned

my answer isn't the only way, but you obviously don't understand what the purpose of the NHRA is. It was formed to get people racing on the track and not the street. It was formed to give racers an avenue to compete for a championship, not to set records. Seeing who was the first one to the line was ALL the NHRA was about until people started liking to see wrecks, smoke, burnouts, people dying, etc... now its a **** organization.
Old 07-06-2008 | 08:46 AM
11 Second Club

my answer isn't the only way, but you obviously don't understand what the purpose of the NHRA is. It was formed to get people racing on the track and not the street. It was formed to give racers an avenue to compete for a championship, not to set records. Seeing who was the first one to the line was ALL the NHRA was about until people started liking to see wrecks, smoke, burnouts, people dying, etc... now its a **** organization.
You sound like you are the kid of an angry old man who never won a race in his life and wasn't even competitive so he bitches about how everyone else sucks and that's what you grew up around and is all you know. He never set quick et, so et watchers are dumbasses. Whatever dude, you're ridiculous.

Records and new personal bests are not the only reason we race, just part of the package.
Old 07-06-2008 | 10:47 AM
Banned

old man? I'm 27... and I've won and lost, I'm just stating what the NHRA is about. For a guy with a mid 12 second car I wouldn't be talking to ANYONE about not setting low et...
Old 07-06-2008 | 11:55 AM
11 Second Club

Seeing who crosses the line first is ALL THAT MATTERS in any racing. I could care less who goes quicker or faster, and so could just about ANY other real fan or racer.
Any kind of racing? Racing s/c, s/g, s/st, s/s, stock, t/s, t/d crossing first doenst always mean a win.
Old 07-06-2008 | 07:04 PM
12 Second Club

my answer isn't the only way, but you obviously don't understand what the purpose of the NHRA is. It was formed to get people racing on the track and not the street.
OK
It was formed to give racers an avenue to compete for a championship, not to set records.
there were no champions for the first 15 years of the nhra, and it was established in part to record times.

Seeing who was the first one to the line was ALL the NHRA was about until people started liking to see wrecks, smoke, burnouts, people dying, etc... now its a **** organization.
again it was established in part to record times. no decent person wants to see any body get hurt, and dam near every nhra fan I've met was a decent person. nobody who has ever been to a race especially when nitro is involved wants to see anything other than a good race. I'll admit being scared for those guys blasting down the track a such high speeds and god forbid anything ever happen to them. maybe you should knock that chip off your shoulder and enjoy a race!
Old 07-06-2008 | 08:42 PM
11 Second Club

old man? I'm 27... and I've won and lost, I'm just stating what the NHRA is about. For a guy with a mid 12 second car I wouldn't be talking to ANYONE about not setting low et...
AH ha, mid 12's is slow? Maybe I've won every race I ever ran in my class. Why does the number matter? Why does it matter if I run 10's or 12's? Are you a " numbers fan"? You really should stop.

I'm not just a spectator, I bet you are.

And I said the SON of a bitter old man. You can't even read.
Old 07-07-2008 | 12:52 AM
6 & 8 Second Club

Way to f up a serious thread with a bunch of key board tough guy BS.

Old 07-08-2008 | 11:18 AM
9 Second Club

can someone please give me the link to the 1000 foot mark thing i cant find it anyware....
Old 07-08-2008 | 01:09 PM
12 Second Club

here ya go
http://www.nhra.com/content/news.asp...30355&zoneid=8
Old 07-08-2008 | 01:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Dragkid1917
can someone please give me the link to the 1000 foot mark thing i cant find it anyware....

I believe I saw it last week at NHRA or some reference to running 1000' in the future.

Jakes Dad
Old 07-09-2008 | 01:13 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Jakes Dad
I believe I saw it last week at NHRA or some reference to running 1000' in the future.

Jakes Dad
lol....
Old 07-09-2008 | 03:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

How about bigger front tires instead of the bicycle tires that are on there now? While that wouldn't suddenly allow them to completely stop, it sure would help. I don't know how they can even apply the brakes and not get complete lock up!
Old 07-09-2008 | 06:02 PM
Banned

As long as these things are built to make 8000 hp, and only weigh, what, 2450 or some ****, they will be borderline death traps.
Those cars do things most of us cant even imagine. I've been around drag racing most of my life. I've tuned on TS cars, and Alcohol Funnys. When you're making in excess of 3000 hp, and with that little weight, theres forces at work that you cant really control.
You cant turn off a fuel car without cutting off the fuel. They run on detonation when they're that hot.
You cant hit the brakes at speed, they just bounce. The parachutes have to slow you enough before you can effectively use the brakes.
They pull enough Gs through the whole run, most people cant even breathe for the 4 seconds it takes to make the run. Many TF racers are retired because of detached retinas from the negative Gs from popping the 'chutes. Joe Amato was one.
Eric Medlen was SHAKEN to death. He didnt even wreck. Thats some bad **** when it can shake you to death.
I've worked with TS cars and drivers, that have been nearly knocked unconscious from tire shake. I've worked with one Alcohol driver that WAS knocked unconscious from tire shake.
Fact is, fans go to see this **** for sub 5 sec runs, and 300+ MPH trap speeds. Its the fastest, most intense motorsport in the world. Nobody wants to see wrecks, or people die.
As long as any sanctioning body, be it NHRA, or IHRA wants to keep the stands full by selling these beasts as 330 mph cars, its always going to be dangerous. You cannot completely remove the danger.
Scott Kalitta hit the wall.
Eric Medlen was shaken to death.
Blaine Johnson was hit in the head by something.
John Forces car broke in half. He was lucky to live through that. Whats really amazing is the amount of drivers that walk away from the things they do.
Tony Schumacher, Cory Mac, Larry Dixon, all had terrible crashes. Tony got busted up pretty good, but they all lived.
Sorry for the long winded.........It will always be dangerous.

Quick Reply: NHRA to run Top Fuel/FC to 1000' starting in Denver