Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weight of clutch assy for drag racing?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 01:39 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Weight of clutch assy for drag racing?

Trying to determine what setup I am going to go with however, I am trying to determine weight and rotating mass as well. Since I installed the 9inch I know that is going to eat up some hp so I am trying to save on rotational mass in other areas. I was looking at a few clutches that vary from stock weight to 22lbs triple disc setups(yes, 22 lbs) I have run the billet steel 18 lb flywheel in the past but was wondering if it is ok to look at real light weight clutches for drag racing. The car is na and we are shooting for 600-625 at the wheels once completed. I have heard that too light of an assy would kill 60 ft times but I would assume you would get that back in the top end?? Give me your opinions on this issue so I can finally decide on which route to take. Thanks.
Old 11-14-2008, 02:12 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 03 BUSA
Trying to determine what setup I am going to go with however, I am trying to determine weight and rotating mass as well. Since I installed the 9inch I know that is going to eat up some hp so I am trying to save on rotational mass in other areas. I was looking at a few clutches that vary from stock weight to 22lbs triple disc setups(yes, 22 lbs) I have run the billet steel 18 lb flywheel in the past but was wondering if it is ok to look at real light weight clutches for drag racing. The car is na and we are shooting for 600-625 at the wheels once completed. I have heard that too light of an assy would kill 60 ft times but I would assume you would get that back in the top end?? Give me your opinions on this issue so I can finally decide on which route to take. Thanks.
Being NA that car needs to 60 foot in the 1.3's to be fast. Taking weight off the flywheel will help it spin faster but RPMS drop quicker. This may take away from your goal.

If it is a race ONLY set up, you should fine, but I dont care for lightend flywheels on the street, too on/off bog switch.

I just think the inertia will be lost once you let that clutch out and it may bog.

But let me say this, I am all about promoting RPM via lightened rotating assembly, valve train and rear end parts but I leave it on the fly wheel to carry that momentum.
Old 11-14-2008, 04:14 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So a 25lb flywheel option over a 28lb would be ok or would you still like to see the stock weight 28lb? I know it is only 3lbs but 3lbs rotating weight is alot. It will be a 50/50 car just a toy weekend car with track duties. I thought the lightweight on the street would help acceleration but hurt at the track.