Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How important is the low-end?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2003, 02:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How important is the low-end?

Looking at a lot of posts I see that some of the "budget" cams like the hotcam and ls6 are making pretty impressive gains. The one thing they seem to lack is power down low. I see a whole lot of dyno information, but almost nothing in terms of track times. This leads me to my question...I have 4.10 gears in my m6, and the car winds up REAL fast, especially in first. Also, I plan on eventually running a dry shot of around 100 or so horses. Taking this into account, how much ET am I actually losing with a cam like the 02 ls6? If i'm shifting at around 6500 or even 6700 (don't know what the ls6 springs can take) that would theoretically keep me pretty close to my powerband once I reach it.

So to sum it up, with 4.10s and nitrous to wind up my tach like a raped ape, would I still benefit more than a tenth or two by spending 2-400 more dollars? I hardly ever go to the track so i don't need to go ***** out for every last hundredth but if the difference is huge I don't mind spending the cash.

Also would I be able to hit anywhere near 10.99 with a cam like this? Mods would include lid, cutout, longtubes, 4.10s, ported throttle body, nittos, suspension as needed, cam, tuning, short throw, 100-150 horses of juice and possibly an ls6 intake and/or electric water pump.

Thanks for the info, haven't been able to find anything like this so far so I hope it can benefit some people!
Old 09-22-2003, 10:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: How important is the low-end?

With nitrous, you have all the lowend you need. At the track, the only power that matters is at the RPMs that you actually use. If you get a good launch and then you keep the RPMs above 5000, it matters not what kind of power you're making at 4000, for example.

Sure, you can do 10s. You'll be pushing your RPMs pretty high across the line with 4.10s and stock height tires. Taller tires will help, of course.
Old 09-22-2003, 02:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks Colonel, that's exactly what I was looking for. I think with the ls6 cam, an electric cutout, and hidden dry kit...this car will be a hell of a sleeper when i'm done with it! Now to try and remedy this gear whine...
Old 09-22-2003, 03:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Just a suggestion, but if you're going for a sleeper setup, check out my Stealth line of cams at MTI. They cost more but I think they're well worth it considering they will seriously outperform the LS6 cam with a comparable stocklike idle. Only the original one is listed on MTI's site last time I checked. The other is the one that I just had installed in my '02. It's a 224/220 .581/.581 116. You can read about my dyno results and impressions in the Internal Engine section.
Old 09-22-2003, 08:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

How much better do you think the stealth cam would perform, would it be more than a few tenths? The reason I ask is because I hardly go to the track so I play around with the car on the street more. I end up racing from a roll a lot too. I like the idea of pretty much not having to worry about springs, and the fact that the street manners would be almost dead stock unless I decide to turn on the juice, open the cutout, and stomp on the gas. Sorta like two cars in one
Old 09-22-2003, 10:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

I would think not more than a couple of tenths difference.
Old 09-23-2003, 12:02 AM

Couple tenths is a couple car lengths Never forget that
Old 09-23-2003, 01:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

True. That's the way I look at it.