Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's your definition of powershifting?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 12:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's your definition of powershifting?

In my drag racing days it was keeping your right foot floored the whole run and using the clutch to shift as quickly as possible. I've had a few people tell me it's shifting w/o using the clutch at all, but I don't see how that'd work.
Old 12-01-2008, 12:06 PM
KBG
Launching!

if you can get that to work go for it........personally I always used the clutch and left my right foot on the floor
Old 12-01-2008, 12:08 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Cobra4B
In my drag racing days it was keeping your right foot floored the whole run and using the clutch to shift as quickly as possible.
thats what i do when i raced

I've had a few people tell me it's shifting w/o using the clutch at all, but I don't see how that'd work.

thats how i drive the 18 wheelers and other equipment at work.
Old 12-01-2008, 01:19 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AzzBustin30th
thats how i drive the 18 wheelers and other equipment at work.
That requires careful rev matching lol. Drive in 3rd, pop into neutral, let the revs come down, slide into 4th. You can also downshift by driving in 4th, pop into neutral, rev up, slide into 3rd.

It takes perfect timing, but can be done without grinding. The purpose of the syncronizer is to speed up/slow down the input shaft with the clutch disengaged. If you don't press the clutch, and the input/output aren't at the correct speeds relative to each other, the syncro will act as a brake attempting to slow the motor down or speed it up to match the speed if you try to put it in gear. Pushing the clutch lets the syncro just have to manipulate the rotating mass of the input shaft, gears, and clutch disk. Confused yet?

During natural driving, the rpms fall a bit when upshifting between gears, this acomplishes the syncro's task for it. When I downshift, I always put it into neutral, release the clutch pedal, rev it up, then press the clutch and put it in gear. This will let the motor rev up the input shaft and not make the poor little syncro bear the brunt of the work. Try this the next time you're driving and see how easy it downshifts.

Powershifting without the clutch can only be acomplished with trannies built specifically for it, otherwise, the syncro will probably not have time to speed slow down the input shaft and the car won't shift.
Old 12-01-2008, 01:47 PM
10 Second Club

I've had a few people tell me it's shifting w/o using the clutch at all, but I don't see how that'd work.
you prolly could do it if you petal the gas but it would be slow as hell and for sure cant be done at wot

Last edited by Dave J; 12-01-2008 at 02:16 PM.
Old 12-01-2008, 02:11 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1
That requires careful rev matching lol. Drive in 3rd, pop into neutral, let the revs come down, slide into 4th. You can also downshift by driving in 4th, pop into neutral, rev up, slide into 3rd.

It takes perfect timing, but can be done without grinding. The purpose of the syncronizer is to speed up/slow down the input shaft with the clutch disengaged. If you don't press the clutch, and the input/output aren't at the correct speeds relative to each other, the syncro will act as a brake attempting to slow the motor down or speed it up to match the speed if you try to put it in gear. Pushing the clutch lets the syncro just have to manipulate the rotating mass of the input shaft, gears, and clutch disk. Confused yet?

During natural driving, the rpms fall a bit when upshifting between gears, this acomplishes the syncro's task for it. When I downshift, I always put it into neutral, release the clutch pedal, rev it up, then press the clutch and put it in gear. This will let the motor rev up the input shaft and not make the poor little syncro bear the brunt of the work. Try this the next time you're driving and see how easy it downshifts.

Powershifting without the clutch can only be acomplished with trannies built specifically for it, otherwise, the syncro will probably not have time to speed slow down the input shaft and the car won't shift.

Agreed, for those who use no clutch are prob face plated trannies. For those with un modded t-56's its Accelerator to the floor, and as quickly as you can shifting but unless you get the Tick Master Cyl, it will be near impossible to do w/o major damage
Old 12-01-2008, 05:29 PM
9 Second Club

Powershifting for me = Gas pedal to the floor through the entire 1/4 mile, only tap the clutch pedal when shifting. Never tried to do it without touching the clutch pedal so I can't say if it works or not. I personally feel that not hitting the clutch at least some in a stock tranny is a very bad idea.
Old 12-01-2008, 09:43 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it can be done without the clutch with a faceplated trans but is not recommended.
My old s10 could be downshifted at WOT without the clutch but i don't know of a trans that will like upshifting at WOT without one
Old 12-02-2008, 12:26 AM
11 Second Club

Power shifting is when you keep your foot on the floor, (keeping the power on, hence the name). Shifting without using the clutch is simply clutchless shifting. Should not be done unless you have a slipper clutch or a clutchless trans. I didn't do it with my faceplated tranny.
Old 12-03-2008, 04:09 PM
12 Second Club

I powershift and I broke 2nd gear (foot never leaves gas and only do clutch when changing gears) I am so used to driving like that at WOT... seems hard to take my foot off now... While my tranny is down... what can i replace to be able to power shift. it doesn't feel the same when i powershift to when i take my foot of the gas and quickly change gears and get back on the gas.. like example. if i 1-2 powershift.. i can get sideways. if i 1-2 shift with taking my foot off the gas and getting back on it.. won't do it.
Old 12-04-2008, 09:06 AM
10 Second Club

i had a faceplated trans and i still tapped the clutch ....
Old 12-04-2008, 11:01 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by ndfrsd6
i had a faceplated trans and i still tapped the clutch ....
unless you have a slipper(softloc) they recommend using the clutch to soften the shock load
Old 12-04-2008, 11:07 AM
TECH Regular

Yeah, powershifting is just never lifting off the gas but using the clutch. I've been doing it for a while now when I race, and if I try to shift while lifting, it ends up really slow and doesn't feel right. Only feels normal when I powershift.
Old 12-04-2008, 01:56 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by ZFSix
Yeah, powershifting is just never lifting off the gas but using the clutch. I've been doing it for a while now when I race, and if I try to shift while lifting, it ends up really slow and doesn't feel right. Only feels normal when I powershift.

thats what im saying.... exactly
Old 04-26-2009, 01:43 AM
Banned

yea, i would only powershift in the ram air, it feels like the engine is bogging inbetween shifts if I dont powershift. I dont think you need anything to do it, my car was stock, no problems 40k miles.

Quick Reply: What's your definition of powershifting?