Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chiseling Away: 10.37 @ 131.5 MPH

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2003 | 09:47 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor
20 Year Member

Default Chiseling Away: 10.37 @ 131.5 MPH

It's certainly nowhere near to a stock bottom-end record, but we will take it. We headed out to Hallsville Raceway in Hallsville, Texas for the Corvette Shootout on Saturday night. They were having a regular test and tune that night, too, so I decided to take the SS, too. We've been running an NX 150 HP shot through their Gemini Twin MAF kit, but we wanted to push the envelope some more. Joseph installed the second stage and make it look GREAT under the hood. We had it setup to launch on the first stage with a 150 HP shot and bring in another 100 HP shot no later than the 60' mark.

For my first pass, I took my time staging. I was going over getting the shifts right and when to hit the 2nd stage. The car launches with a 1.45 60', and I bring in the second stage in the top of 1st gear. It initially started charging HARD, but then it quickly fell on its face. I let off just before the 1/8-mile marker and cruised to the pits. The car still managed to run a 6.60 in the 1/8th! We pulled the plugs and immediately saw the problem. We put a fresh set of NGK TR6's in, pilled the nitrous setting on the second stage down to a 75 HP shot, and left the fuel setting for the 100 HP shot. I also added another 4% fuel via LS1 Edit and tried it again.

The second run wasn't as clean as I would've liked. I was doing a mental run-down again prior to rolling into the beams. I didn't stall the car up as high as I should have, and it resulted in a spinning launch. It only went 1.47 in the 60', and we were wanting a 1.40-1.42. I was planning on bringing in the 2nd stage about 30' out. The front end bounced some, and I went into 2nd. Well, I aimed for second but skipped it and went into third. This resulted in a short-shift on the 2-3 shift at 5,500 RPM. I wasn't able to grab the 2nd stage until 2nd gear, but once I did she really started to move. I sprayed both stages through the shifts (have to love this 200-4R!) and crossed the line in 4th gear. The result was the 10.37 @ 131.5 MPH (6.65 @ 105 MPH in the 1/8th). I bought the Moser 12-bolt used from Jason at Thunder, so it still has 4.30:1 gears in it. We decided to see how she'd do with the gearing, 28" Hoosiers, and overdrive. She definitely wasn't giving up any MPH!

We pulled two plugs after this pass, and they looked pretty decent. We jetted the 2nd stage nitrous up to a 100 shot and put the 150 fuel jet in. I was really wanting to see a LOW 10 on a good pass, but time didn't allow. They started running the Corvette Shootout back-to-back, and then the ricers tore the track up with their Midnight Madness. The 408 is going together this week, so I will be shocked if we have time to try it again for the stock bottom-end record. If we do get to try it again, we need to set it up with dual bottles, dual feed lines, and a separate fuel system for when the car is running nitrous. That way we can spray it hard and be safe with nitrous and fuel delivery. If not, we'll just go for 9's with the new motor.

Trevor
Old 09-29-2003 | 09:59 AM
"The Drag Racing Director"

Default Re: Chiseling Away: 10.37 @ 131.5 MPH

Congrats Trevor!

Cool your going with a 408.

Are you going to bracket race anymore? I sure do miss the days at Temple.

Good luck.

Coach
Old 09-29-2003 | 10:29 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor
20 Year Member

Yeah, we decided to step up with some cubes and a setup that will take some nitrous abuse. We're also going to see how she does with a solid-roller setup.

I do still bracket race. I went to Wall Dragway a week ago and ran brackets. I went out in the 2nd round, though. I had a .522 light vs. my competitor's .538, but he ran .002 his dial vs. my .06 over. If I ever get my dial-in and RT down in the SAME run I'll be deadly. LOL

I haven't been to Temple since we raced there over a year ago. We'll have to do some bracketing at the Southern Shootout. I'll try my luck Saturday afternoon in their separate bracket race.

Trevor
Old 09-30-2003 | 09:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I sprayed both stages through the shifts (have to love this 200-4R!) and crossed the line in 4th gear. Trevor
nice numbers. i spray a 200 shot through both shifts with my 200-4r. 3rd gear is a little soft, but the 1-2 was real nice. when i had just the cam, i had 4.56's and had to hit 4th with a 150 shot(at about 800 feet ). ill have a 400 with a brake for the thunder shootout
Old 10-01-2003 | 12:32 AM
I can shift faster than you.

Cool Trevor, nice #s. Those are some excellent numbers for stock bottom end.

Glad to hear my old 12-bolt is still holding up well. Check your PMs.
Old 10-02-2003 | 10:15 AM
"The Drag Racing Director"

I haven't been to Temple since we raced there over a year ago. We'll have to do some bracketing at the Southern Shootout. I'll try my luck Saturday afternoon in their separate bracket race.

Yes we will.

Good luck to ya. See ya at the shootout!

Coach