Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steel VS Cromoly rollbar?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 07:57 PM
7 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Correct on material cost difference, but TIG welding is usually more expensive than MIG welding and that should also factor into the decision.

Derek
Old 01-20-2009, 06:53 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mmy bolt in 6 pt weight 70lbs wrapped in bubble wrap and tape for shipping.
Old 01-20-2009, 07:00 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by joelster
When you go to buy one of those pre-made cages for a 4th gen there are usually 3 types of them. There is that crappy electro-welded whatever junk, the DOM steel ones, and then chromoly. When they say DOM steel, they specifically mean non-chromoly ie: .118-.120 wall. When they use chromoly, they will always refer to it as chromoly irregardless of the process used to bend it.

The point I was trying to make is that a typical 6-8 point cage will only run you near $200 more for chromoly, and you will not EVER find a way to replace ANY component on your car for that kind of money and save that kind of weight. It is the best money you could possibly spend on your car.
I wasn't trying to put you out. I was trying to keep things clear for people who are reading this thread. The last thing I want is to see another term such as "billet" being misused.

I understand the process of making tubes, I work in the materials engineering department of a suspension/shock company.
Old 01-20-2009, 07:04 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Villain281H
Correct on material cost difference, but TIG welding is usually more expensive than MIG welding and that should also factor into the decision.

Derek
It doesnt matter whether its chromoly or MS it still gets TIG welded at my shop. The only difference in cost is the tubing(which is minimal for DOM). It costs the same to bend and fit and weld either cage.

225-343-9029
Old 01-20-2009, 10:31 PM
7 Second Club

I stand corrected sir
Old 01-20-2009, 10:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by cjg454ss
mmy bolt in 6 pt weight 70lbs wrapped in bubble wrap and tape for shipping.
What brand, and steel? Is thats with the under floor plates, and all the bolts. I know the box of hardwear for the wolfe mildteel 6point was 13-15#s alone.

This is a notched Wolfe 6point chromoly.
Old 01-20-2009, 10:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

thanks for this thread now ill be spendin more money!! after reading i think you've convinced me to go CM cu the weight. bad influences i tell ya lol
Old 01-21-2009, 06:18 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

I stand corrected sir
Not smacking you around just throwing options out that people need to be aware off when they are getting quotes.

225-343-9029
Old 01-21-2009, 06:26 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

One thing is for sure, I've seen a car with a mild steel cage in it that wasn't TIG welded, and that thing looked like absolute ****. Big piles of weld bead all over the place, total hack job.

Probably the joker that did the job is why I'm sure, but after seeing that once, I'd never take the chance of going that route. TIG is the only way to go.

Another question, madman you probably can answer. When you build a cage in a car, do you usually tack everything in place and then TIG it together? I'm considering taking some welding classes, buying a tubing bender, notcher and a mig and tig welder, and doing my next project myself.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated, if it looks like it will be too much I will probably scrap the idea and have someone do it, but I'm exploring the possibility of doing it myself at this point. Will be a 25.5 if it matters. I have a TON of photo's already to work off of and was going to order a 25.5 spec sheet from SFI to build to.
Old 01-21-2009, 07:03 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Yes we tack everything in then I get to welding. The floor structure is the last thing we weld. That way I can move the cage around a little to get all the welds.

225-343-9029
Old 01-21-2009, 07:14 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Makes sense. Thank you sir.
Old 01-21-2009, 07:16 AM
12 Second Club

Here are a couple pics of the TIG welds on my mild steel rollbar.

Old 01-21-2009, 07:41 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by patriotformula
Just to set things straight guys... From my understanding in engineering/chemistry classes as well as from my father who owns an engineering and design firm, Chromoly isn't actually lighter, however it is stronger so you can use a thinner metal for the same strength... Correct me if I'm wrong guys...
Correct, 4130 Is actually about 5 pounds heavier per cubic foot, which is hardly anything but, its slightly heavier.

Originally Posted by trigger1
Chromo tube can't be formed from drawing over a mandrel? I'm hung up on what you are saying in your last sentence. DOM is a process not a type of steel.
DOM Refers to drawn over mandrel, as it comes from the mill It starts of as ERW tubing, and goes through another process, the "drawing over a mandrel" to provide closer tolerances, removal of most of the seam, and improved strength. So in essence, DOM starts off as ERW (Electrical resistance Welded)

Originally Posted by joelster
When you go to buy one of those pre-made cages for a 4th gen there are usually 3 types of them. There is that crappy electro-welded whatever junk, the DOM steel ones, and then chromoly. When they say DOM steel, they specifically mean non-chromoly ie: .118-.120 wall. When they use chromoly, they will always refer to it as chromoly irregardless of the process used to bend it.

The point I was trying to make is that a typical 6-8 point cage will only run you near $200 more for chromoly, and you will not EVER find a way to replace ANY component on your car for that kind of money and save that kind of weight. It is the best money you could possibly spend on your car.
Just to be Sure, DOM is not the process to bend in this case, its forming the steel. Bending to be done by the fabricator, and usually not with a Mandrel bender.... Gets confusing, I know.

As far as mig welding a Mild steel cage, It is acceptable, if you have a machine and weldor capable of doing so. Tig welding will do a slightly superior job strength wise, but it is aesthetics that make it desirable on MILD Steel. Again, that is if the person doing the welding is an Actual weldor, not some hack from billy bobs backyard auto repair...
Old 01-21-2009, 11:25 AM
7 Second Club

Originally Posted by MADMAN
Not smacking you around just throwing options out that people need to be aware off when they are getting quotes.
I know, just my playful icon to use showing I don't want any trouble. I remember Memphis
Old 02-22-2009, 07:47 PM
11 Second Club

Rollbar is in Collin did an amazing job (as always)
Total weight was 39.2lbs (VS the 67lbs MS one I decided against using) ... so it was worth the investment.
Those removable/swingout bars are awesome, I can get in and out
without unpinning them, but I wouldn't want to deal with that for DDing.
The bars fit neatly in the trunk, next to the Ttop holders.
I ordered the swingout components from cachassisworks, they're extremely well-designed.

I put most of the interior back in today and trimmed the carpet.
I'll go back and do some clean-up work later around the holes so it looks neater.

Driver's side door pics:
Pinned in - http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e1...mg_6928jpg.jpg
Swung out - http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e1...mg_6931jpg.jpg
Removed - http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e1...mg_6932jpg.jpg

View from trunk - http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e1...mg_6926jpg.jpg
View back from Driver's door - http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e1...mg_6923jpg.jpg

Closeups of kickass welding
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e1...mg_6922jpg.jpg
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e1...mg_6935jpg.jpg
Old 03-06-2009, 02:54 PM
TECH Resident

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave J
From what I understand a CM 6 point is about 20 pounds lighter than a ms 6 point
anything to back up this claim?
for most folks only a 5 pt (or 6) is required for our times, so the weight difference for a 6 pt would be very good info to have. especially if it was the wolfes actually weighed as they are the most popular.

edit: looks like james just confirmed

Last edited by STANG KILLA SS 2; 03-06-2009 at 03:03 PM.
Old 03-06-2009, 08:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS 2
anything to back up this claim?
for most folks only a 5 pt (or 6) is required for our times, so the weight difference for a 6 pt would be very good info to have. especially if it was the wolfes actually weighed as they are the most popular.

edit: looks like james just confirmed
they have the weights listed on their web site, and it looks liek 20 pounds difference in a 6 point.
Old 03-08-2009, 09:24 AM
FormerVendor

I stand corrected sir
Actually, he is saying that he ONLY TIG welds (and does not MIG) so that is why the cost is the same. YOU are correct in saying that IF a shop MIG's AND TIG's, that normally TIG welding usually cost more than MIG welding (usually)
So, both of you are right

Quick Reply: Steel VS Cromoly rollbar?