Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam only, winter upgrades. Bitch in on a diet

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 04:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You have it all apart again??

Looks great Johnny! Cant wait to see what it does at the track this year!

-Mike
Old 02-23-2009, 05:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

hummmm... so eaither way you do it youll end up with a hole in every spot weld correct? Weather i use a big drill bit ot the spot weld drillbit, its gonna have a hole through it? Just a matter of a huge hole or just a 1/8in hole that can be welded up real easy?
Old 02-23-2009, 10:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

No it dosnt drill at all in the 2nd layer, once you get the hang of it. Its like a non drill bit center hole saw, so the OD cuts. After the panels are apart you just grind off the center of the outer layer spot weld, that was inside the hole saw.
That point on the cutter, is stiffly spring loaded. So it loacates on your center punch *****, and retracts as you push on it. But you have to start slow so it dosn't wander at 1st, that will break a tooth off easy.
Old 02-24-2009, 06:00 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice work. I've done 95% of the same work before and it sucks. You're making good progress.
Old 02-24-2009, 09:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

thanks. That work I'm doing myself I dont mind really. But I put some more time in fitting the wolfe 6point, agian and that sucks. I stoped work on that last week end I noticed how bad it was. As I'm getting everything to fit great, and it shows of off everything else is. I'm getting sick of having to rebend most of it. Its the worst one I've seen, the bottem of the hoop was 51 wide, thats over 1 1/2 half bigger then whats fits in the car. Plus its twisted, and not sqare. The door bars are bend diffrent, but can't fit them till I finish fixing the hoop

Old 02-25-2009, 05:58 AM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Yikes! You can totally see how the left side isn't bent to nearly the same angle as the righthand one. Hope everything works out!
Old 02-25-2009, 07:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by studderin
thanks. That work I'm doing myself I dont mind really. But I put some more time in fitting the wolfe 6point, agian and that sucks. I stoped work on that last week end I noticed how bad it was. As I'm getting everything to fit great, and it shows of off everything else is. I'm getting sick of having to rebend most of it. Its the worst one I've seen, the bottem of the hoop was 51 wide, thats over 1 1/2 half bigger then whats fits in the car. Plus its twisted, and not sqare. The door bars are bend diffrent, but can't fit them till I finish fixing the hoop

man, I wonder what's goin down over there at Wolfe's shop. We have had a few minor problems recently, but before we never had any problems..
Old 02-25-2009, 07:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Ya, I'm not sure steve. Last summer stuff just needed some minor work on the notches to tighten them up a little all nice, nice. I listed the wrong number, The hoop was is 50 1/4 the inside of the tubes, and the cross bar fit that tight, dont think it should go out the door like that? I know some things get tweelked in shipping, but not like that.
I took a 1/4 off that (the cross bar) and cheated, ratchet strapping the hoop tight. So its 49 3/4 and that still jamming it into car, with no room for the side plates.

And then the hoop is way on the driver side, and throws the door bars off. Im gona have to get the passanger top corner bent more. And it looks like they used larger dies, the 1 3/4 tubes its already crushing? Then see how off the side upright are from parallel still, since wolfe is the laidback style that corner in throwing that off.
I gota get some seats, whats the weight on the Jaz you guys have now. You like them better then the kirkey? Do thay have good arm room for a m6 car?

I got the racecraft brackets today, there look really good. I can't fit them with the hood hinges on. They shipped great in a nice tube. Great stainless button heads, and nylon nuts.

Last edited by studderin; 03-24-2009 at 10:37 AM.
Old 02-26-2009, 07:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

I gota get some seats, whats the weight on the Jaz you guys have now. You like them better then the kirkey? Do thay have good arm room for a m6 car?
I do like these seats better than the Kirkeys.. they're lighter by a few pounds (not exactly sure how much, but I'll work on getting the exact figures), they seem to fit better in the f-bodies, and I personally think they're a tad more comfortable. Here's a pic of what it looks like installed with our JAZ seat brackets.

I got the racecraft brackets today, there look really good. I can't fit them with the hood hinges on. They shipped great in a nice tube. Great stainless button heads, and nylon nuts.
Hope you like the dzus rails. Post up some pictures of how the hood and everything looks on the final fit.
Old 02-26-2009, 08:53 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by mad_steve

Hope you like the dzus rails. Post up some pictures of how the hood and everything looks on the final fit.
yes that will be helpful i need to order mine soon ...
Old 02-26-2009, 09:11 AM
9 Second Club

i like this post cool build
Old 02-26-2009, 09:51 AM
10 Second Club

subscribing....
Old 02-26-2009, 10:17 AM
TJ
TECH Junkie

the floor plate for the main hoop looks a lil small.
needs to be 6x6 at minimum if you are trying to be legal.
nice work with cutting all the bracketry out.
lookin good!
Old 02-26-2009, 01:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TJ
the floor plate for the main hoop looks a lil small.
needs to be 6x6 at minimum if you are trying to be legal.
nice work with cutting all the bracketry out.
lookin good!
The plates for the main hoop and door bars come as two 6"x3" plates. One is welded underneath the main hoop, and the other is welded between the main hoop and the door panel. He said that he couldn't get the side plate in, just yet.
Old 02-26-2009, 01:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

DAMN! I see my self doing that! You plan on cutting behind the finders?
Old 02-26-2009, 02:43 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Those Jaz seats are different than the plastic ones you normally see. I like those racecraft rails. I definetly have a set of those in my future.
Old 02-26-2009, 05:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Beaflag VonRathburg
Those Jaz seats are different than the plastic ones you normally see. I like those racecraft rails. I definetly have a set of those in my future.
For some reason, most people run the Kirkey seats, but now that we have direct bolt-in brackets for the JAZ seats, we have been selling them hand over fist. When you're ready to order, just give me a call at the shop. 225-673-3533
Old 02-26-2009, 06:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

thanks steve for that info, Ya post up some specs on them and the other seats, if you want. What color covers can you get, I liked the grey tweed on the kirkeys. And if you have the seat painted dark grey, I think it would look better. Not a fan of the black vinal covers.

I havnt had time but I wnat to call mark, and racecraft and get the parts they use for mounting the rails. Any pop rivit, dzus sizes, that stuff. I'm sure they noticed what works a little better.

ya thats just one of the 6x3 plates, look up the side the door opening, you can see were a scribed were the other 3x6 side plate goes.

When you guys cut the under fender parts off, how is the fender still? I forgot to see if it touches the fender for support. Or if theres a gap between them anyway?
Old 02-27-2009, 07:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

http://www.jazproducts.com/aluminums_seats.html
I think the black vinyl cover is the only kind that we can get for the JAZ seats. I'll have to look more into that today.

http://www.kirkeyracing.com/index.ph...&code=Series41
They don't have actual specs on the Kirkeys, but atleast you can get a good look at one.
Old 02-27-2009, 07:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

thanks steve for that info, Ya post up some specs on them and the other seats, if you want. What color covers can you get, I liked the grey tweed on the kirkeys. And if you have the seat painted dark grey, I think it would look better. Not a fan of the black vinal covers.

I havnt had time but I wnat to call mark, and racecraft and get the parts they use for mounting the rails. Any pop rivit, dzus sizes, that stuff. I'm sure they noticed what works a little better.

ya thats just one of the 6x3 plates, look up the side the door opening, you can see were a scribed were the other 3x6 side plate goes.

When you guys cut the under fender parts off, how is the fender still? I forgot to see if it touches the fender for support. Or if theres a gap between them anyway?
Honestly, I have not gotten in there to cut any fenders lately. Everything I have been hackin on has been the useless brackets and stuff of that nature.

Now, if you call Racecraft.. just tell them you want a dzus hardware kit. They should be able to get a goody bag together for you, and it shouldn't be much more than 50 or 60 bucks.

Quick Reply: Cam only, winter upgrades. Bitch in on a diet