Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Building a stock eliminator car

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 11:48 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

a guy around here bought about a dozen different kinds of pistons rings, bunch of different bearings, and he sits the with a torque wrench and finds the combination with least resistance. thats just an idea of where you can spend money, just trial and error testing like that. the motors are far from stock, you're talking about motors that are using mostly stock parts, but there is a ton of black magic in stuff like the valve jobs and especially camshaft design.

i wouldn't say its so much cheating and taking advantage of the grey areas in the rules, guys with 305 3rd gen camaros run low 11's anymore... don't forget you are gonna have $$$$$$$$$$$$ in the best converter/trans you can get your hands on.
Old 04-28-2009, 02:20 PM
7 Second Club

this is one of the most competitive classes out there... be prepared to spend lots of money and time if you want to be competitive.... thats a fact... people order sets and sets and sets of stock internals for some older cars hoping to get a few pieces here and there that are "optimal"... not for the faint at heart... long hours and pissed off wives are involved...
Old 04-30-2009, 08:10 PM
On The Tree

Feel free to cheat and see how long you last. You will find out how little you really know.
Old 05-01-2009, 09:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 10secondZ
Hey all,
Well it's time to take the plunge. It's a super tough class for LS cars with the breaks and power addings, but thats what I want. Anyone have some good info on getting involved with this class for the 2010 season?
Don't let these guys scare you! You don't have to bring the baddest dog to the hunt to have fun racing Stock. It doesn't take a lot of money to run the indexes (Trying to be the "Big Dog" is another story!).
Old 05-01-2009, 09:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by STOCK1090
Feel free to cheat and see how long you last. You will find out how little you really know.
Agreed.
Old 07-21-2009, 01:28 AM

Well there is ALOT of things people don't understand about the class and how they make the cars run as fast as they do and that is kind of the fun. As far as the cost goes where do I even start? For one let's talk about the trans and converter . If you want to go FAST a super light weight Turbo 350 or Turbo 200 ( you can ask about that later they actually came in S-10's and CHevetts and yes they work but are TOTALY reworked ) is going to run you about $4500 to $6000 for all the light weight roller bearing internals and different low gear ratios. Rossler makes a nice one as well as McCLay . Torque converters are next you will go through about 2 to 5 of them trying to line the car out 800 a pop although some good dyno time on the motor to get EXACT numbers will help ALOT in getting the converter right but it is not an exact science I always have 2 or 3 in the trailer for diffrent times of the year . I personaly have been through 6 converters and there is over 2 tenths difference in them. Now lets talk rear ends , Do to the fact you are trying to sqeez everthing you can out of the car everything has to be as lLIGHT as possible and strong this combo does not come cheap now add a seto fo gun drilled Ultra lighth axels from Moser or Strange $800 give or take a good back cut lighten ring gear $500 not to mention brakes and wheels and tires. Most engine builder are hush hush on the hone and ring combo they use as there is where hlaf of your power will come from next to the cam . trust me there is sometimes 20 to 30 HP in changing a ring and hone combo ... my machine work on my Buck for a hone job and heads was around 1500 and that is for the basic stuff not all the GRAY AREA mods we make to the heads and intakes
Old 07-23-2009, 12:11 AM
On The Tree

You can get away with spending quite a bit less and still win an event...as long as you do not have any heads up runs. Remember, it's just a glorified bracket race with handicaps until you get a heads up run against another guy in the same class. Then if you went the cheap route, be ready to head home. I know a guy that won a heads up final at a national event in a car that was broken and only running in 1 gear...the other guy had no idea and red lit trying to kill the tree. 1 million ways to win and most require dropping a ton of cash. Sometimes you get lucky.
Old 07-23-2009, 11:32 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I must say that I've always been fascinated with Stock Eliminater. I've never been to a national event, but we have ran several Division 6 points races in the old Top Comp, and the new Top Dragster classes. Last race we went to we pitted by a few stock guys, and those are just cool cars. The only thing I don't much care for is the sound of those things at idle. Stock lift with obviously lots of druation? This one big block Camaro was murder on your ears with open headers, but hey, thats what race cars are about I guess. To the guy that started this thread: I would run division points races. When we first decided to run our old altered at a divisional I thought it would be a total waste of our time. We went, actually qualified well, and in 07 we ended up winning Top Dragster the first year that Div 6 had the new class. So I guess what I'm trying to say is that a class like Stock is extremely difficult I'm sure, but you never know until you try!! I you would have told me 2 years ago that we would bring home a wally from a Division points race I would have laughed in your face, but it happened. Sometimes its just your day. As far as an LS1 SE car, I've always been curious how one would work. The Waldo's various others sure seem to like em!! If Waldo's switched from about 50 years of racing Fords to LS1 cars, they must work well. I would also like to point out that Lee Zane won the Stock national championship in an LS1 Trans Am last year, 2008. Good luck with your Stock Elim project!! LS rules!!!!!!
Old 07-23-2009, 11:41 AM
On The Tree

I forgot to mention that about 4 years ago at our Divisional race in Acton MT, a guy set a Stock national record in a 55 Bel Air with a 265 SB Chevy. The car went 11.50 I think, somewhere in the 11.50's I know for sure. There is that black magic you guys are talking about!! That is an un believable feat from a car that is that heavy with that small of an engine with parts that old. My hat's off to stock eliminator guys!!!!
Old 07-23-2009, 01:15 PM
Banned

Good Luck

Last edited by J-R10-5; 07-23-2009 at 01:50 PM.
Old 07-23-2009, 01:26 PM
Internet Mechanic

I have a good idea about the class and work put in. Eastside's old orange nitrous record car was Billingsly old S/S car that had some trick **** done to it. Its def a class that is won on "cubic dollars" and having a big wallet, or an understanding wife is required.
Old 07-23-2009, 02:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default comment

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
I have a good idea about the class and work put in. Eastside's old orange nitrous record car was Billingsly old S/S car that had some trick **** done to it. Its def a class that is won on "cubic dollars" and having a big wallet, or an understanding wife is required.
understanding wife--no such thing.

rich wife--now we're cooking with fire.
Old 07-23-2009, 03:33 PM
10 Second Club

Are those the guys that order 10 stock cams and have all of them analyzed to find out which one is the largest?
Old 07-24-2009, 06:32 AM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by Cobra Commander
Are those the guys that order 10 stock cams and have all of them analyzed to find out which one is the largest?
Yup, and bring 10 sets of tires and 5 TQ converters to test them all out.
Old 07-24-2009, 01:58 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Cobra Commander
no... the cams don't have to be stock... they just have a lift requirement... The durations are usually outrageous as well as the different cam profiles to get the right ramp etc... This stuff is fascinating, glad a few guys on here are chiming in who have S/E experience...

Pretty much to be on top you either have to spend buku bucks with an engine shop or own your own... A guy here locally is very successful, but he also is an engine builder for a lot of those guys
Old 04-09-2010, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by ten5nova
I forgot to mention that about 4 years ago at our Divisional race in Acton MT, a guy set a Stock national record in a 55 Bel Air with a 265 SB Chevy. The car went 11.50 I think, somewhere in the 11.50's I know for sure. There is that black magic you guys are talking about!! That is an un believable feat from a car that is that heavy with that small of an engine with parts that old. My hat's off to stock eliminator guys!!!!
55 Chevies are not legal in NHRA Stock. That would have been a Super Stock Car and they are allowed a lot more mods, they also cost many more $$$$$ than Stock Eliminator.

Quick Reply: Building a stock eliminator car