Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do You Think A Cage Ruined Your Street Car???

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 09:53 PM
TS6
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've smacked my head on the hoop of my 6 point while playing on the street. It ******* hurt.
Old 05-05-2009, 09:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it may...It depends...

Last edited by ehnihl; 05-05-2009 at 10:42 PM.
Old 05-05-2009, 10:21 PM
TECH Addict

I was looking into the S&W 6 point roll cage and the guy that would weld it in makes his own swing out kits.

But I agree that saftey is the first concern, but I still take peope in the back for rides and such and having the rear bar there would make it a big PITA to get in and out. I think I'm just going to man up and do it, like James said it looks badass and it makes the car alot safer.

But keep the replies coming, I don't want a big debate, but just some first hand experiences
Old 05-05-2009, 10:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by turnin20s
i was looking into the s&w 6 point roll cage and the guy that would weld it in makes his own swing out kits.

But i agree that saftey is the first concern, but i still take peope in the back for rides and such and having the rear bar there would make it a big pita to get in and out. I think i'm just going to man up and do it, like james said it looks badass and it makes the car alot safer.

But keep the replies coming, i don't want a big debate, but just some first hand experiences
if you have a rollcage no one should be sitting in the back!
Old 05-05-2009, 11:24 PM
10 Second Club

I agree about it being a safety issue putting a cage in a street car. If you do end up doing it, make sure you wrap the bars [where you think your head is in danger] with foam covers.

Also, it would be very unsafe for your passengers in the back when you add a cage.
Old 05-06-2009, 06:20 AM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by TS6
I've smacked my head on the hoop of my 6 point while playing on the street. It ******* hurt.
Yea and you wonder why Vin Diesel survived the crash in the the First F&F. lol.

But Seriously. The cage needs to be padded up. That is for the driver and passangers protection. Also 5 Pt Harness at a minimum.
Old 05-06-2009, 01:43 PM
10 Second Club

I did not add a cage because I only go to track one or two times a year. I do feel a cage would ruin my car.My car looks un-touched and still looks stock.I still have power everything,leather seats and back seats too. I run 10's n/a and have a bottle. I don't mind being asked to leave the track for being too fast.I feel it's no different then A guy I know taking his modded 09 zo6 on the highway and doing 200mph,that car has no cage. Once you put a cage,it limits who will buy your car if you sell it.
Old 05-06-2009, 01:57 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you cry about a roll bar in your car then chances are going fast is not for you, and you should look into a new hobby.
Old 05-06-2009, 02:01 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by mike c.
I don't mind being asked to leave the track for being too fast.I feel it's no different then A guy I know taking his modded 09 zo6 on the highway and doing 200mph,that car has no cage. Once you put a cage,it limits who will buy your car if you sell it.
Old 05-06-2009, 02:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 6 point roll bar in my car that sees some street use, and I dont regret it one bit. I realy can't seeing myself converting it into a 8 point cage unless its REALY needed. The car will be doing nines with the new setup, but I dont like having the bars right by your head. Yes they might help if you hvae a helmet on, but what happens on the street when your head smacks the chromemoly bar and it cracks open like a egg?
Old 05-07-2009, 10:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would say yes 100% it ruined my "street car" I don't know what was worst the cage or that F'n 350th... but now its a race car so O'well
Old 05-09-2009, 11:53 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Ego Killer
I would say yes 100% it ruined my "street car" I don't know what was worst the cage or that F'n 350th... but now its a race car so O'well
Huh???

And why did it ruin your street car? My car sees 90% street duty, but I'm really leaning towards the cage, I rarly have more than 1 passenger anyways, but I'll still keep the rear seat
Old 05-10-2009, 12:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

A 8point+ halo bar cage sucks, my roomate has a 95neon with a cage/window net and it sucks, you need a open parking space and its a small car. And you can't just slide in/out like my car. I have a wolfe 6point and its mint. The low door bars are perfect, like everyone says that not a 250+ big boy. Its easier to just slide over the wolfe low door bars, then to use the swing out. But you need some room to open the door 3/4s. You cann't do any 1/2 door open normal parking spots deal, like you could without the rollbar.

Last edited by studderin; 05-11-2009 at 05:39 PM.
Old 05-10-2009, 07:59 AM
10 Second Club

I have a wolfe bolt in 6 point in my car and I love it. The extra safety it provides is priceless. My car is show quality in mint condition and I don't think it ruined it at all. It is street driven more than track driven, I have to drive 3.5 hours to the nearest track. I am running 10's so it was neccessary to be legal at the track but having a 2 year old boy and a little girl on the way it is absolutely a no brainer adding safety equipment that can save your life! Trapping at 130 is well fast enough to get killed. If you are considering one do it for safety, I'm sure your family and friends would like to keep you around! Besides I get alot of compliments on how great it looks along with many car show trophies!
Old 05-10-2009, 09:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Turnin20s
Huh???

And why did it ruin your street car? My car sees 90% street duty, but I'm really leaning towards the cage, I rarly have more than 1 passenger anyways, but I'll still keep the rear seat
350th means turbo 350 trans. the reason I say it ruined my "street car" mainly because it sucks so bad crawling in and out, well it did for me anyway I'm about 260lb but if your young and smaller you might think it looks cool so what the hell go for it! you could always do a bolt in so WHEN you get tired of it you can take it out. but BTW it F's up your carpet too

just my .02
Old 05-10-2009, 10:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Camaro396
I dont think hitting your head on the bar is going to be any more painful than hitting your head on the windshield or A pillar. With that said, people who wine about roll bars in their cars need to sack up.
no **** dont build fast cars if u dont want to be safe dosent matter if your at the track or going fast on the street bad **** does happen some times all u can do is try and prepare for it driveshaft safty loops,scatersheild bellhousing, trany blanket,and a wolf 6 point cage with low slung bars soon to be a 10 point,and 5 point harness on my street car is it pain in the *** when me and the girl take it out YES but its worth it

it does not ruin your car it makes safer it makes the body more solid and gives u street credit unless your trying to hussle which is why i got outa streetracing to much bullshit
Old 05-10-2009, 02:39 PM
9 Second Club

I would just say if you plan to keep the car then do the cage if your not going to keep the car forever dont. Or get a bolt in 6pt w/ removable doorbars and if you do sell it sell the cage seperate.
Old 05-10-2009, 03:09 PM
10 Second Club

Should car co's stop building 200+mph cars? or just add a cage to them. Will that save you in a 180mph crash? Should Mask of Tapout of had a cage in his car? Or just not of been racing that night. what about bikes. Do we stop riding them,hay no cage there,or anything else for that matter. Or should everyone on this site stop driving our cars above 70mph? Maybe stop sharing go faster tips to each other. If a cage makes you feel better then get one. It's your car and do what you feel you need for you. I don't have a cage. having one don't mean I will survive a crash. Maybe it will. I've made my choice like some who choose to have one. Goodluck to you.
Old 05-10-2009, 03:21 PM
Teching In

what is a 6pt good for E.T. wise in NHRA?

I might just go right for a 10pt in my truck when I finally get enough money to make it fast.
Old 05-10-2009, 05:42 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by crf538
Ive got a 6 point with welded door bars and it never bothers me when im gettting in or out to drive...girls bitch a little when they have to climb over it...the only time it sucks is when im doing any work that requires me in and out a lot, like pulling wires under the dash...then its a pita
Good point. my bigest gripe is the the harnesses. even though they are camlocks, they still make the 6-point look like a cake walk.

Quick Reply: Do You Think A Cage Ruined Your Street Car???