Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do You Think A Cage Ruined Your Street Car???

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 10:15 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tzion_ben_Arthur
Good point. my bigest gripe is the the harnesses. even though they are camlocks, they still make the 6-point look like a cake walk.
+1 on the harness's being a pain, as soon as i get everything else sorted out im gonna tuck um behind the seat and just use the regular belt..

i will say if i had to do it over i would do a 10 point with removable door bars insted of the 6 point with welded door bars. the two front points wouldnt really be in the way unless you had the t tops out and i wouldnt have to worry about getting kicked out of any tracks
Old 05-10-2009, 10:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you are worried about retaining day to day use just get swing outs and pull the bars when you aren't headed to the track. Along with safety a bar or cage will add stiffness to your chassis which quickly translates into performance, especially on a road course.
Old 05-11-2009, 11:53 AM
7 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm a lifer as far as drag racing, and I struggled with putting a bar in my car when it was running the times it was in 2003. Then I did a full cage 2 years ago since I knew I'd be aiming for 9s. I don't regret it one bit, although it cost a bit in weight and padding.

That said, I race a lot. If you're not visiting the track more than a couple times a year, an argument could be made for "why do it?"

Derek
Old 05-12-2009, 05:19 AM
11 Second Club

I have been looking foward to throwing a 6pt in my car. I'm tired of the bs and having to detune my car. Hopefully in a few weeks the 6pt will be in
Old 05-13-2009, 12:43 AM
TECH Addict

Well thanks alot guys, I like seeing both sides without it being a big arguement.

I have decided to go with an S&W 6 point cage. I'll probably tack the cage in and get it where I want it, then take it somewhere to get the swingouts and finish welding done.

I really like the added saftey, I'm not doing a cage because it "looks cool" I may add a little spray and if I do and get my car to hook I'm sure I won't last long at any tracks around here.

Sorry about the th350 thing LOL I should have figured that out, I almost went that route when my tranny went out and I'm sure glad I went the 6 speed route.

I'm working on new carpet right now and painting my interior panels, but hopefully a cage will be later this summer, but I have a few things on the to-do list first
Old 05-13-2009, 06:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I
I'd wait to do the carpet after, you have to remove it and cut it
Old 05-13-2009, 08:47 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by studderin
I
I'd wait to do the carpet after, you have to remove it and cut it
My interior is already completely stripped. I had 2 rust holes starting behind the seats that needed some attention, and thats kind of another reason for the cage. My car isn't rusty, but its 14 years old and a northern car so it has some surface rust underneith here and there that I'm slowly getting it taken care of
Old 05-21-2009, 06:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

if you need it, get it.. you dont have the opportunity to purchas AFTER you needed it if you catch my drift.

best street cage on the market IMO
http://www.performanceautofab.com/ou...p?idproduct=23

make sure you get the sfi padding, its costly but the pool noodle stuff is a joke and your head will go right thru it.
Old 05-22-2009, 09:01 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

MM, your cage is really nice. I am picking up a Moly 10 point set up for a convertible for $150 in a couple days. After modifying it I am going to put it in my 93. I am definetly going to borrow some of the details on MM's cage. I really like the position of the rear bars.
Old 05-22-2009, 10:02 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MIGHTYMOUSE

make sure you get the sfi padding, its costly but the pool noodle stuff is a joke and your head will go right thru it.
That SFI stuff is made to use with a helmet only, at least thats what SFI told me..

Quick Reply: Do You Think A Cage Ruined Your Street Car???