Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spool or TrueTrack ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2009 | 08:49 PM
10 Second Club

^^^Ask any gear guy that does this stuff for a living and they will tell you a locker on the street is suicide. Like said above they are too unpredictable for street use. They were designed for circle track guys.
Old 07-08-2009 | 08:42 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 03 BUSA
^^^Ask any gear guy that does this stuff for a living and they will tell you a locker on the street is suicide. Like said above they are too unpredictable for street use. They were designed for circle track guys.
Its suicide but yet a spool on the street isn't? lol.

With a locker yes your driving habits change but I NEVER had an issue manuvering my car on the street. Locker, skinnies, no sway bar, 90/10's, and nittos... no problems. I wonder what you guys try and do on the street with a locker... drift on the on ramps?

-Mark
Old 07-08-2009 | 11:10 AM
Launching!

+1 for the spool, The only thing i dont like about mine is always feeling like im trashing my tires everytime i turn sharply
Old 07-08-2009 | 11:17 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Bitemark46
Its suicide but yet a spool on the street isn't? lol.

With a locker yes your driving habits change but I NEVER had an issue manuvering my car on the street. Locker, skinnies, no sway bar, 90/10's, and nittos... no problems. I wonder what you guys try and do on the street with a locker... drift on the on ramps?

-Mark

I had a Detroit Locker in my car for years and swear by them for a street car. I switched over to a full spool last year only because i was changing gears and the car was going to full track duty.

I agree with Mark. Lockers certainly take a change in driving style. You have to learn how to lock/unlock a locker when you need it to. This has alot to do with the load on the drivetrain. It's about 100% easier to manipulate this in a manual trans car though. I know when i went to a TH350, it was considerably more complicated with the locker.

If it's a street car, and you want to never worry about breaking, a Detroit Locker is the way to go. Then again, be prepared to not like your car for about 3 months while you learn how to drive again, haha.

Like other have said, yea, a spool is always going to be a spool, and you don't have to worry about it unlocking in a turn. But a properly set-up locker should never have this problem either. Sounds like they had their locker's set up too tight. I know mine was this way when it was first installed, and we had to re-adjust it to get it just right.

Plus....nothing more wicked than the "click click click click" of a locker for intimidation factor on the street!
Old 07-08-2009 | 02:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

I fall into that category and would disagree. There is nothing wrong with a locker on the street. If your tires are not equal though (i.e. one larger diameter than the other, even just a little), the locker can sense this and will give you fits.

If it is a street car, go with some sort of locking or limited-slip differential. If it is a race car, go with a spool.

Do not use a locker with a transbrake. It is not designed for the shock loafs and it will not last.

Conversely, do not use a spool on the street. It can cause the wheel studs to fail over time that can cause an obvious safety issue.

The best thing to do is buy (2) center sections; one with a spool and one with a diff. Use the spool at the track, and use the diff on the street.
Old 07-08-2009 | 02:15 PM
9 Second Club

Ok, we have several different view points, all which are relevant. The next question would be a Steel or Aluminum Spool? I have done some reading on them and they seem to be very similar except for the weight savings. I don't know much about the Aluminum piece but I know the Steel is tried and true. Can anyone give me any reviews on the Aluminum, good or bad I need to know.
Thanks,
Andy
Old 07-08-2009 | 04:22 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by tim99ws6
Plus....nothing more wicked than the "click click click click" of a locker for intimidation factor on the street!
Hell yeah! lol. I can't tell you how many car euthusaists hear me pull into a parking spot and tell me my rear is about to break. lol.

I've had mine engage a few times going over the in ground gas tank caps at gas stations and you hear a loud "pop". One black guy though it was a gun shot one time. I almost pissed my pants. Best insurance I've ever bought for my car.

-Mark
Old 07-08-2009 | 07:20 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Carter01
Ok, we have several different view points, all which are relevant. The next question would be a Steel or Aluminum Spool? I have done some reading on them and they seem to be very similar except for the weight savings. I don't know much about the Aluminum piece but I know the Steel is tried and true. Can anyone give me any reviews on the Aluminum, good or bad I need to know.
Thanks,
Andy

Andy, for any kind of street use I would personally use the steel. It can take more heat and more of a beating. The aluminum for drag only as the car is only run for a few seconds and not stop and go traffic and sharp turns ect. I believe it is the same concept as the cast vs aluminum center section. Alum not recommended for alot of street use. There is a weight savings however, it is minimal imo.
Old 07-08-2009 | 08:36 PM
9 Second Club

Andy, for any kind of street use I would personally use the steel. It can take more heat and more of a beating. The aluminum for drag only as the car is only run for a few seconds and not stop and go traffic and sharp turns ect. I believe it is the same concept as the cast vs aluminum center section. Alum not recommended for alot of street use. There is a weight savings however, it is minimal imo.
Thanks Shawn, didn't look at it that way.
Old 07-08-2009 | 09:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

No spools are designed or endorsed for street use. An aluminum spool is design for a very light weight car in a heads-up class.

I use a Moser steel spool in the Camaro (40 spline) and Strange in my Malibu (31 spline) and have had no problems with either. I also have a Detroit Locker with a street gear for the Malibu in an extra center section and that works well on the street.
Old 07-08-2009 | 10:01 PM
11 Second Club

i have a tru trac and i vote spool.
Old 07-09-2009 | 05:30 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by BadBandit69
i have a tru trac and i vote spool.
That made me laugh even at 6:30 in the morning!

Thanks again guys for the replies.
Old 07-10-2009 | 09:21 AM
TECH Veteran

31 spline Detroit Locker in my 9". Street manners are not a big deal, even parking lots. I think it is softer than the 35 spline unit though. That one might be a bitch to daily drive.
Old 07-12-2009 | 05:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

when yall are talking about sharp turns, what do you consider a sharp turn? like taking a right turn from the stop light?
Old 07-12-2009 | 08:14 AM
9 Second Club

I have the true trac for almost 2 yrs now,been to the track several times and it hasn't skipped a beat.I dont know if the people that are having them fail are having the true trac set up right.Though the next time i change the rear i will be going with light weight spool to free up some more hp.
Old 07-13-2009 | 03:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

very odd question... but does every locker click click click? because.. if so, i think my buddy got shafted.

detroit locker, 35 spline, 4.30's. never really even heard much of a click click click. have felt the loading/unloading though.
Old 07-13-2009 | 07:26 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by kmracer
very odd question... but does every locker click click click? because.. if so, i think my buddy got shafted.

detroit locker, 35 spline, 4.30's. never really even heard much of a click click click. have felt the loading/unloading though.

Sounds like he got a soft locker.
Old 07-13-2009 | 08:47 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Reject
when yall are talking about sharp turns, what do you consider a sharp turn? like taking a right turn from the stop light?
I don't hear mine when I take a right from a stop light. The only time I hear mine is when I turn really sharp like into a parking space. You can keep a little gas on it to make the turn but if you give it any more it'll engage and do the infamous "pop". Its hard to describe but you get the hang of it after a week of driving it.

Originally Posted by kmracer

I can jack up the rear of my car. Have a buddy hold one tire and I spin the other and it'll go clicky, clack, clicky clack. Does he have loud exhaust?

I'm almost temped to go home and jack the car up and make a short clicky clack vid for you guys. lol.

-Mark
Old 07-13-2009 | 12:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

his car is very loud. dual 3 inch with powersticks.

were gonna go to the track thursday, i'll check it out then. a video would be awesome though!

Quick Reply: Spool or TrueTrack ?