Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can solid mounts hurt the motor or frame?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 06:52 PM
8 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went 9.5s on poly mounts and they were perfect when the came out.
Old 07-13-2009, 07:10 PM
11 Second Club

wow, I am gone for a while and get more responses than when I am here. Seems the car is taking a different route now. I am picking up a turbo kit, does this change anything. The car will still be on conservative boost. I am guessing it won't since the power won't be xtreme
Old 07-13-2009, 09:09 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Iron block will not have the distortion issues that the alum will, not until a higher power level. What level, will depend on the block bore, etc.etc.

Turbo kit, I'd definately be looking to solid mount it. More motor movement you have the more you have to deal with flexing at the turbo couplings, etc.etc.
Old 07-13-2009, 09:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

yum. turbo for the win.
Old 07-14-2009, 12:24 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
Iron block will not have the distortion issues that the alum will, not until a higher power level. What level, will depend on the block bore, etc.etc.

Turbo kit, I'd definately be looking to solid mount it. More motor movement you have the more you have to deal with flexing at the turbo couplings, etc.etc.
I cant argue with a sig pic like that lol
Old 07-14-2009, 12:33 PM
Race your car!

I don't just pull this stuff out of thin air.. there's facts to back it all up. Sig pic, one way of making that known
Old 07-14-2009, 04:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

i plan on using solid mounts for my iron 6.0 project i have going. Had polys with my lt1 and they were still super stiff but as stated in the above post, im boosted so i dont want ANY movement! And i dont believe im in the level of motor plates eather.
Old 07-14-2009, 06:38 PM
11 Second Club

I don't just pull this stuff out of thin air.. there's facts to back it all up. Sig pic, one way of making that known
oh I wasn't being a smartass, I was dead serious. I wish my car left like that :-(
Old 07-14-2009, 07:37 PM
Race your car!

Originally Posted by taws6m6
oh I wasn't being a smartass, I was dead serious. I wish my car left like that :-(
No you don't Well, unless you want to remove all the paint off the bottom of the bumper cover, and test your luck on the lift/get back into it and see how far you can ride it out. That one went about 500 feet

You want the tires to pull about a foot and power out like that, or less. The more the car stands up, the more energy you are wasting lifting the car and the less is moving the car forward.

Taber, I'd put a motor plate in so you have more room for the headers and downpipe. Makes a **** ton more space for stuff like that with a plate, as you can cut the plate to go around everything else, or just put the plate in, start making the headers and trim the plate as needed. That's how most of the fast turbo cars are I have seen, and it generally works out better. With no motor mount in the way a 5 inch downpipe is not a problem at all.
Old 07-14-2009, 08:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

just so you know, i wasn't doubting what you were saying at all, I'm sure solid motor mounts can have some affect on bore distortion, its completely logical, but i think at his level solid mounts will do just fine. i think he'd have more problems with a stock bottom end then he would with bore distortion at that power lever. motor plates are definitely a good way to go, but seem WAY extreme for a 10 second car.
Old 07-14-2009, 08:57 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Taber, I'd put a motor plate in so you have more room for the headers and downpipe. Makes a **** ton more space for stuff like that with a plate, as you can cut the plate to go around everything else, or just put the plate in, start making the headers and trim the plate as needed. That's how most of the fast turbo cars are I have seen, and it generally works out better. With no motor mount in the way a 5 inch downpipe is not a problem at all.
dont want to go that route JUST yet, maby when i build my motor seriousely ill think about doing it, till then this is to at least get me going. And im using truck manifolds so i dont need to worry about space in that aspect. Seems like you lose space with thoes too, having a big plate blocking off the whole motor seems like.

Quick Reply: Can solid mounts hurt the motor or frame?