Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lingenfelter vs MSD's 2-step

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 07:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

MSD 8733 2-step > Lingenfelter LNC-002 RPM limiter 2 step & timing retard....

My Lingenfelter stopped working after only a couple weeks. Would hang up and hold RPM at 1500 no matter the setting. Also it wouldn't register the clutch signal lead off the PCM when routed through a switch. I called and was told i could ship it to them and return it to me at my expense after they test it.... After reading some other similar experiences here where people were basically told tough **** i bought the MSD and threw the lousy Lingenfelter into my tool box to become a $275 paper weight.

MSD worked like a charm, flip of a switch and holding the clutch pedal down activates it. It's smaller and easier to install due to fewer better wrapped cables with more sensible lengths (Lingenfelter was way too long).
Old 04-10-2010, 08:12 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by built408
I had nothing but problems with Lingenfelter also. I will agree with you that their customer service SUCKS.

I used it once off the t-brake and it never worked again. Checked, and double checked everything, and finally called and talked to Lingenfelter. After they made me feel like an idiot, I decided to just send it in(under warranty).

After 3 weeks I finally had to call and check on it myself. Well long story short, after they got my box mixed up with 3 others, and told me 3 different stories on what was wrong with it, (all of which were my fault) another 2 weeks later they shipped me somebody elses 2-step. I even asked them several times, to make sure you have the right box.

Also, in their wiring diagrams they show nothing about a noise supression diode. You have to pretty much read the fine print.

I would have to think real hard before buying a product from them again.
at least, you got yours back in 3 weeks, mine took 2 months!! I called them a couple of times and they told me " they didnt have a corvette to test it on"

we have not tested it yet, but im pretty sure its still not going to work right..
Old 04-10-2010, 08:25 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

well, after reading this thread I think my choice is clear
Old 04-10-2010, 11:17 AM
10 Second Club

Received 176 Likes on 97 Posts

From what I understand, MSD builds the 2-step box and Lingenfelter just puts their name on it. This came straight from the MSD tech line.

I have the LNC-002 and my buddy has the MSD unit. Both work great - so far... Time will tell I guess.

We installed them in the same way. Using the clutch safety switch to engage the system. This also causes it to engage briefly during the shift.

I dont really notice it al all during my lightning fast shifting... lol
Old 04-10-2010, 12:39 PM
9 Second Club

I tried the Lingenfelter box and my car backfired like crazy. I switched to the MSD and no more backfire.

The video in my sig is with the MSD 2 step.
Old 04-10-2010, 04:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

my LNC has been fine. I like the backfires
Old 04-10-2010, 04:42 PM
11 Second Club

backfires here with the LNC and Blowing off turn down's At other street racer's LOL But no lie
Old 04-10-2010, 06:55 PM
11 Second Club

I read that you cant used the 2 step with catalytic converters. I have a catted ARH Y pipe. Are any of you guys using one with a catted Y ?
Old 04-10-2010, 08:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

it'll kill the cats FAST, i wouldn't do it.

I noticed the backfire with the Lingenfelter as well vs. the MSD. Its hard to describe but the MSD seems to cycle faster, it could just be me so i don't know.

Once when using the Lingenfelter at night, testing it around town, saw a big orange flash in my rear-view... pretty sure i was shootin' some flames from the tail pipes lol

ALSO! I am running a turbo setup through a T56 and just got done testing some WOT shifts with the MSD unit. It's unbelievable how much this improved things! Boost now seems to hold solid through shifts. I nearly shat myself when i first tried it, was not expecting that much of a seat-of-the-pants improvement. Car reacted completely different with how fast the power came on.
Old 04-10-2010, 08:37 PM
TECH Regular

Which one is better with nitrous?
Old 06-09-2010, 05:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Are you guys with issues mounting the box in the engine bay or inside the car?
I have lingenfelter module to convert 24x to 58x signal for my LS2 to work with my LS1 computer. It worked great for a week in the engine bay, after a week it was cutting out and car shutting down. I extended the wires and put inside the car under passenger kick panel and no more issues. I believe the boxes don't stand up to heat to well causing some if not most of your issues.
Old 06-09-2010, 05:15 PM
8 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had mine mounted inside the car, kept it in the glove box
Old 06-09-2010, 10:54 PM
9 Second Club

Received 238 Likes on 177 Posts

I have used the LNC on several cars and have it on my current car with no issues. I havent had any issues with backfiring or anything like that. I did have a 58x to 24x box go out and there customer service was top notch dealing with it.

Quick Reply: Lingenfelter vs MSD's 2-step