Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

672BBC Twin turbo O/L 10.5

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 08:34 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mrdragster1970

So all these low & mid 6 second cars with 300-400 inch engines I read about are light and big tires.
That I can understand. I didn't really pay attention to the total package. I just see the numbers reported.
So are the coughlins-morans type cars running big 600"+ motors or since they are real Pro-Mod, carbon fiber,
34.5 monster tires, type cars. They can run smaller, but pushed to the limit engines??
I'm very limited on knowledge for a boosted combination. The exact reason why I'm selling my turbo/procharger engine
before we even try it. People just don't understand how much it really takes running these monsters.
I finally had to admit is was way more than I was willing to do for some dial in class.

Like on my Pro-Charger 465" motor, I wasn't going to push it hard at all. We were looking at ~8000 shift point,
mild cam easy on springs, and rods type power band. Then again, at 2600 lbs (min weight T/S) & big tire,
I didn't need much HP to run 6.80. I guess the 1.03-.05 60' makes a huge difference from what you guys can do.

Good luck, keep at it & ignore all the internet experts.
Everyone with a clue knows there is a huge difference between us & them.
People spending their money to race & risking their butts trying something new.
People sitting around playing Atari and insulting & ripping people when they have nothing but matchbox cars.

for the most part you are exactly right-the cars with the smaller engines are lighter cars with bigger tires.And you will find that the guys with the smaller engines are breaking them pretty often.

believe it or not,it's actually easier to get a heavy,small tire car down the track with a big motor than with a small motor.

the forced induction stuff does take alot of work to figure out.I built my first procharged,fuel injected engine 11years ago and still am far from knowing everything.we learn new stuff every day.

the n2o stuff was alot easier to get a handle on,but this is easier once you get it figured out
Old 09-08-2009, 08:39 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by cody161
its cool 2 FAST 2000. Any new pics or updates on this car?
we are waiting on the intake right now.We have rework the steering linkage and well as remounted the steering rack(everything had to be moved for the big block headers)
been patching the holes in the firewall where the old i/c tubes went through.i'll try and get some pics up soon

Originally Posted by Fireball
I've cleaned this thread up at the request of the OP...no need to bash Shawn's goal of 200mph in the 1/8...

If nobody set lofty goals, then whats the purpose of building these things
Thanks Brian.200 really isn't a lofty goal,just because nobody has done it yet doesn't mean anything.Nobody went 162 in a single turbo drag radial car until a couple weeks ago,but we did that without even trying.
Old 09-08-2009, 09:53 PM
6 & 8 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Shawn. Great info. That's why I really think the intelligent thing for me would be sell the engine
and just get a basic 5.0 engine. The 5.0 stuff has been out a long time now &
they have some very good combination's that will run 6.80 all day without breaking a sweat.
We would have a huge learning curve to go through with a blower engine, plus all new chassis set up,
then getting it dialed in. Engine & chassis. The car has been 6.50's with an old 4.84 engine,
so I know the car will not be an issue at 6.80. You guys know what you're doing
and it still takes all kinds of BS getting everything done right.

Again, good luck, keep plugging along. Everyone wants to see that animal fly.

Old 09-09-2009, 12:02 PM
FormerVendor

Thanks Shawn. Great info. That's why I really think the intelligent thing for me would be sell the engine
and just get a basic 5.0 engine. The 5.0 stuff has been out a long time now &
they have some very good combination's that will run 6.80 all day without breaking a sweat.
We would have a huge learning curve to go through with a blower engine, plus all new chassis set up,
then getting it dialed in. Engine & chassis. The car has been 6.50's with an old 4.84 engine,
so I know the car will not be an issue at 6.80. You guys know what you're doing
and it still takes all kinds of BS getting everything done right.

Again, good luck, keep plugging along. Everyone wants to see that animal fly.

no problem.But i you change your mind and decide to keep the procharger setup i would be more than happy to help you get everything setup and working.
Old 09-09-2009, 02:32 PM
Launching!

I don't know if I missed it but how much boost are you trying to reach? and what did you do to the block to get where you need to be?

Last edited by knappbunch; 09-09-2009 at 02:39 PM. Reason: punctuation cause I suck at typing
Old 09-09-2009, 02:41 PM
6 & 8 Second Club

I just sent a long note to Steve Morris 20 seconds ago. I didn't want to bother him until I knew what I was talking about.
I finally figured if what I'm trying to do is possible, he would be one of the guys that would know.
I really really want a procharger. I just think it's the coolest damn thing to have a small hood & run 6 seconds.
I know my car kind of gives it away with a giant picnic table hanging off the back.
I just think ethanol & centrifugal blowers are the future of going fast.
Low emissions, made in America renewable fuel. How can anyone ever complain about us causing pollution or wasting oil.
Plus after doing this a long long time, I'm sick of filling, carrying, heating, installing, removing bottles for every damn pass.

Thanks again & good luck on your toys.

Old 09-09-2009, 02:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just sent a long note to Steve Morris 20 seconds ago. I didn't want to bother him until I knew what I was talking about.
I finally figured if what I'm trying to do is possible, he would be one of the guys that would know.
I really really want a procharger. I just think it's the coolest damn thing to have a small hood & run 6 seconds.
I know my car kind of gives it away with a giant picnic table hanging off the back.
I just think ethanol & centrifugal blowers are the future of going fast.
Low emissions, made in America renewable fuel. How can anyone ever complain about us causing pollution or wasting oil.
Plus after doing this a long long time, I'm sick of filling, carrying, heating, installing, removing bottles for every damn pass.

Thanks again & good luck on your toys.

I saw an Procharger F3 display unit for the first time the other day........ talk about a big peice...............

I figure if you have it run it and see how you like it.
Old 09-09-2009, 08:46 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by knappbunch
I don't know if I missed it but how much boost are you trying to reach? and what did you do to the block to get where you need to be?
however much boost i need to go as fast as possible.

the block is an aluminum Donovan Hc700 block,has 11.100 deck height,.400 raised cam,spread pan rail and 4.580 bore.I just got done boring the cam journal for 60mm cam bearings and installing the bushings for the keyway lifters.Working on a cnc program to lighten the outside of the block.
Old 09-09-2009, 08:50 PM
FormerVendor

a couple pics to get Phil off my ***

firewall repairs

steering shaft rework

Old 09-10-2009, 07:43 AM
Launching!

was just wondering if you had to o ring a block like that or is it stout enough the way it comes. I was talking to a guy the other day who was looking to o-ring his ls1 and I told him to call you. also have a friend who just picked up a c6 so he will be headed your way as well. I thought you were living at the shop before I bet you are for sure now.
Old 09-10-2009, 09:29 AM
7 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I can only hope shawn doesn't want to drive the car anymore....I know someone who would love to fill in the position.
Old 09-10-2009, 10:01 AM
FormerVendor

then i'll have to put blocks on the pedals
Old 09-10-2009, 10:36 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Phil99vette
I can only hope shawn doesn't want to drive the car anymore....I know someone who would love to fill in the position.

How are you going to drive?? I know Shawn doesnt just race at one track!!

225-343-9029
Old 09-10-2009, 11:17 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Zing LOL. Madman 1, Phil 0
Old 09-10-2009, 11:25 AM
Teching In

that thing is look'n bad ***! wish i had half that talent, still credit what little i can do to you, keep post'n picks.
Old 09-10-2009, 11:43 AM
7 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MADMAN
How are you going to drive?? I know Shawn doesnt just race at one track!!
You been hanging around your boy too much. He seems to have selective memory, I remember being at US31 last year with shawns camaro.
Old 09-10-2009, 07:13 PM
FormerVendor

You been hanging around your boy too much. He seems to have selective memory, I remember being at US31 last year with shawns camaro.
it's US13
Old 09-11-2009, 05:30 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So you have been to 2 tracks in your career?

225-343-9029
Old 09-11-2009, 06:32 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by MADMAN
So you have been to 2 tracks in your career?
Madman:2 Phil:0
Old 09-11-2009, 11:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

shawn might want to race during daylight hours too

Quick Reply: 672BBC Twin turbo O/L 10.5