Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! car unloading suspension after launch...shock settings?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 11:02 AM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Help! car unloading suspension after launch...shock settings?

I have a 2000 SS camaro 6-speed manual. car is on prostars and slicks. it has LCA's and relocating brackets, adj TQ arm. pinion angle set at -2 degrees. bmr 1" lowering springs in rear. just put HAL QA1 12way single adjustables in the front and rear. i set the rears at 6 just to start out with. figured start there and see which way i need to adjust. on the launch the car sometimes feels like its hitting the rear bump stops and bouncing back up, unloading the suspension. I have noticed some times it will hook fine outta the hole but shifting into 2nd gear it will squat and feel as it had slammed the bump stops onto the rear axle imeadiately breaking the tires loose when i shift the car. 1st gear its wheels up then i shift to 2nd and it spins. this is pretty frustrating and any input would help. change rear shock settings? remove the bump stops completely? any ideas?
Old 08-30-2009, 12:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would try to tighten up the rear shocks a little at a time. Make small adjustments becuase there is a fine line you have to ride with a stick car.
Old 08-31-2009, 01:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

You want the front shocks firmer. That way the front comes up a little slower and settles down slower. Firm up the rears so it doesn't hit so hard and fast. You might have to trim the bump stops alittle. if the car always hits them thats a bad deal it will unload the rear every time it hits them. You can also adjust tire pressure up and down in small increments to help the shocks. Have you thought about travel limiters in the front? From your description you are unloading the rear tires at the launch and at the 1-2 shift. It sounds like you are shocking the rear and having the front come up to fast. On a good biting track you can hit it hard(if you have enough tire). On a bad (greasy) track you want the hit to be progressive. Transfer the weight slower. Get rid of the lowering springs?

Last edited by 1lejohn; 08-31-2009 at 01:22 PM.
Old 08-31-2009, 03:08 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

my car does seem to have the front end pop up very quickly, its not a smooth rise and fall. I just removed the bump stops alltogether yesterday. so that will eliminate that as a problem. I will play with the shock settings 1 adjustment at a time and go from there i guess.
Old 08-31-2009, 04:03 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I run my shocks at #1 in front and driver rear #6,passenger rear #7 to help the car not twist as much off the line. I cut 1.42 to 1.44 60's. m6 car 26'' tire @3,680lbs of car.
Old 08-31-2009, 06:39 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Firm up the rear first. The car should not be hitting the bump stops at all. The rear should lift not squat.

Quick Reply: Help! car unloading suspension after launch...shock settings?