Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Real world benefits of a drag bar?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 02:11 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Real world benefits of a drag bar?

Besides the ability to preload the rear suspension and help launch a car straighter is there any real world benefits of running a rear drag bar? I guess my real question is will a rear drag bar shave time off my 60'?
Old 10-03-2009, 02:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if the car leaves crooked now then yes it could improve the 60'
Old 10-03-2009, 02:57 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,140 Likes on 740 Posts

The harder a car lives the more it will leave twisted up with a stock sway bar setup in back. I think a rear drag bar is honestly something I'd add right after I did front and rear shocks, lca's and phb. that's basically what I had in the white Camaro and it went 1.38's on a 150 shot.
Old 10-03-2009, 04:47 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
The harder a car lives the more it will leave twisted up with a stock sway bar setup in back. I think a rear drag bar is honestly something I'd add right after I did front and rear shocks, lca's and phb. that's basically what I had in the white Camaro and it went 1.38's on a 150 shot.
Thanks John, great info.
Old 10-03-2009, 06:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

I just had the stock rear sway bar on the camaro. It went 1.52 60' all twisted up 3 wheel motion. Looked cool ,but I was worried it was gonna rip the t-tops out lol.

I just put the Spohn drag bar on and it went 1.46 60' staight as an arrow level as can be with the wheels 3 feet in the air. Its a must to have one.
Old 10-03-2009, 09:00 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,140 Likes on 740 Posts

Ol' Dragula started leaving twisted with just heads, cam and other bolt'ons, and this got worse until I bolted on a drag bar. This pic was just a 1.55 or something.

Old 10-03-2009, 10:45 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm looking into the wolfe dragbar, looks like it's time to chunk my stock one .
Old 10-04-2009, 06:59 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by TOSTO RACING
I just had the stock rear sway bar on the camaro. It went 1.52 60' all twisted up 3 wheel motion. Looked cool ,but I was worried it was gonna rip the t-tops out lol.

I just put the Spohn drag bar on and it went 1.46 60' staight as an arrow level as can be with the wheels 3 feet in the air. Its a must to have one.
Yeah my car does pretty much the same thing. It's leaving hard but twists and tends to pull the car out of the groove.

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
Ol' Dragula started leaving twisted with just heads, cam and other bolt'ons, and this got worse until I bolted on a drag bar. This pic was just a 1.55 or something.

That's almost identical to what my car is doing when I launch.

Originally Posted by StreetSilverado
I'm looking into the wolfe dragbar, looks like it's time to chunk my stock one .
Yeah, it looks like I'll be in the market for one soon too. I think I'm going to get the UMI drag bar because the rest of my suspension is from them and I really like their products. Plus I'm running Strange SAs on the rear and I know their bar will have enough clearance.
Old 10-04-2009, 07:46 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Friend of mine just bought a UMI bar, we haven't got it on yet but it should work good.

I have a wolfe on my car, and I know 100% that it does work good.

Anything with rod ends on it should be enough so the car can be pre-loaded, stiffer the bar the easier it will be to get the car leaving level, which always helps.
Old 10-04-2009, 01:15 PM
10 Second Club

i was bending left wheel studs until I put the spohn bar in.
Old 10-04-2009, 10:11 PM
TECH Resident

drag barsare generaly 25mm arnt they? or are they 30? 1 inch or inch and a half
Old 10-05-2009, 04:54 AM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
Friend of mine just bought a UMI bar, we haven't got it on yet but it should work good.

I have a wolfe on my car, and I know 100% that it does work good.

Anything with rod ends on it should be enough so the car can be pre-loaded, stiffer the bar the easier it will be to get the car leaving level, which always helps.
I'm that friend.

That UMI drag bar is MASSIVE.

One thing on the street I should see is w/ the front sway bar gone, the car should loose most of it front end slop as it will the back will not allow it to twist.
Old 10-05-2009, 06:48 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
I'm that friend.

That UMI drag bar is MASSIVE.

One thing on the street I should see is w/ the front sway bar gone, the car should loose most of it front end slop as it will the back will not allow it to twist.
Cool, thanks for the info. Have you had the car at the track since installing it?
Old 10-05-2009, 07:38 AM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by DTB_LS1
Cool, thanks for the info. Have you had the car at the track since installing it?
Nope, just got it in the box saturday. I had heard from a few members like PSJ and Mightmouse that their "drag bars" made the car feel like it had a front sway again.

Looking for a next year run.
Old 10-05-2009, 09:08 AM
CARTEK Racing

I got a Sphon on the back.

The car refuses to lean. Even witht he front sway bar out, it feels rock solid in a turn though the drag bar did make it a lot more proned to oversteer if you try to accelorate through a turn. Clearly its not meant to turn, made to make the car go strait lol

But it does work well. I have yet to go all out with it at the track. Soon hopefuly.
Old 10-05-2009, 11:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
Nope, just got it in the box saturday. I had heard from a few members like PSJ and Mightmouse that their "drag bars" made the car feel like it had a front sway again.

Looking for a next year run.

thats cool, but is it the same like above me (alex said) that when pushed it oversteers? And is that more then normal.... if it had a stock front bar?

I guess that better then understeer, but worried you get a false sence of "handleing" that could do more harm then good. Over a normal no front sway, street/track poly endlink rear bar. Still let you know to drive slow. Comon sence to still not go flyin' around sweeping turns at speeds, but still could get it you troble. I don't know the handleing stuff that well, but think the no roll in the rear would be like a on/off switch if you get out of shape, with still being in contraol?
Old 10-05-2009, 11:42 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Take the rear bar off and the front bar off and you'll think the car is ready to fly off the road. Really unsafe.

No front bar and a stiff rear bar will make the car want to oversteer around corners, more specificially on exit then corner entrance. No rear bar and a front bar will make the back end feel very "loose", all over the place and will get annoying fast.

Best bet, is to just run both, but if you don't want the headache of taking the front one on and off for drag racing, then a heavy rear one alone can be dealt with.
Old 10-05-2009, 01:19 PM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
Take the rear bar off and the front bar off and you'll think the car is ready to fly off the road. Really unsafe.

No front bar and a stiff rear bar will make the car want to oversteer around corners, more specificially on exit then corner entrance. No rear bar and a front bar will make the back end feel very "loose", all over the place and will get annoying fast.

Best bet, is to just run both, but if you don't want the headache of taking the front one on and off for drag racing, then a heavy rear one alone can be dealt with.
And for that reason I will still keep all old parts and to be honest, make sure I can still use the stock style stuff. The umi bar though will bolt into the stock frame rail using the tab hole that is there.

They do suggest some welding so that hole becomes un useable so its going to be a crap shoot.

For my car, it is definitly sloppy. I bearly drive it more then 1-2 days at a stretch and if I drive it for the whole weekend, thats a stretch, it rarely goes out in the rain, if anything getting caught in the rain will be the worse issue.

I figure I will be better off with it then w/o and it will make me be more responsible when it comes to street driving.

Quick Reply: Real world benefits of a drag bar?