Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6 point cage with an useable back seat?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 03:17 PM
CARTEK Racing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tektrans
My back seat is long gone since the 10pt cage. I drive my daughter around occasionally with a booster seat in the front passenger seat. Seat also has a 5pt harness. Not sure how legal t is but she's not going anywhere and I feel that she is very safe in the front.
I've contemplated having some good mounts welded in the back area for booster seats and 2 more 5 point harnesses this way there is no way the kids could hit the crossbar but JL just made a good point about having to get the kids out in an accident but the rear glass is huge and I have t tops so maybe it wouldn't be that bad.
Either way, probably not worth it and safer to keep them out of the car. I drive the kids around in the pits at the track, thay like that.
Yesterday I saw a Harley guy with his kid on the back of the bike. Kid had on sweat pants, sneakers and no gloves. Rider had all his gear on. What a dick I said to my wife as we drove past him. What a dick!
Dude...

There is nothing cuter than Mark riding around with his daughter in the pink car seat next to him...

I hate kids, but your doughters are the cutest kids ever!

If I had a kid, as much as I hate the little *****, I would never put one in the back seat, just does not seem like a good idea.

Wait untill the child is olf enough, and use a booster seat to have them be up front with you.
Old 10-05-2009, 04:32 PM
Banned

My back seat is long gone since the 10pt cage. I drive my daughter around occasionally with a booster seat in the front passenger seat. Seat also has a 5pt harness. Not sure how legal t is but she's not going anywhere and I feel that she is very safe in the front.
I've contemplated having some good mounts welded in the back area for booster seats and 2 more 5 point harnesses this way there is no way the kids could hit the crossbar but JL just made a good point about having to get the kids out in an accident but the rear glass is huge and I have t tops so maybe it wouldn't be that bad.
Either way, probably not worth it and safer to keep them out of the car. I drive the kids around in the pits at the track, thay like that.
Yesterday I saw a Harley guy with his kid on the back of the bike. Kid had on sweat pants, sneakers and no gloves. Rider had all his gear on. What a dick I said to my wife as we drove past him. What a dick!
ok here is my two cents

^^ you put your kid in the front seat. car seat or not. you cant turn off the air bags. so that is a safety hazord right there. and if you dont ahve air bags. the car isnt safe either. everything is a two sided story.

my car is fast. i dont car about 1/4 mile rules. i built it for the 1 mile run. and in those ruels i have to have a 4 point to exceed 200mph. if i am going to put a 4 point. i might as well do a 6 point.

now i think you guys are right about people can get hurt real bad in the back seat with a roll cage. but people can get hurt in the front with out one. nothing is safe. just live life to its fullest every day.

i will cage my car. and i will haul people around in it. i dont ahve kids so idk about that yet. guess time will tell
Old 10-05-2009, 05:02 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Why don't you just put her in the front seat? If she's too young to ride in the front seat, then she's too young to give a **** what kind of car she's riding in anyways.
Old 10-05-2009, 06:37 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Big Bird WS6
ok here is my two cents

^^ you put your kid in the front seat. car seat or not. you cant turn off the air bags. so that is a safety hazord right there. and if you dont ahve air bags. the car isnt safe either. everything is a two sided story.
I have no airbags. So the guy with a pre airbag car, like a really trick '69 Camaro can't take his kid for a ride because it's not safe? Nobody would even question it if it was a '69 right?
If I thought for one second my kid wasn't safe I of course would not even think to take her in the car. The 5 point harness almost covers her whole torso, the carseat has side body and head protection, there's no airbag to come out and hit her in the face, she's got the protection of a 10 pt cage, she's good in there.

I'm open to any discussion as to the welfare of a child in an NHRA legal equipped car on the street, believe me I'd listen, especially when it concerns my daughters but just to say "it's a safety hazard"....I'm not buyin' that.
Plus the child doesn't have the airbag factor in the back seat anyways and what does every childseat/infant seat have? A 5 point harness!! except my daughters' is NHRA legal, what's wrong with that?
Old 10-05-2009, 06:39 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by WS6TransAm01
Dude...

There is nothing cuter than Mark riding around with his daughter in the pink car seat next to him...

I hate kids, but your doughters are the cutest kids ever!
Thanks Alex.
Old 10-05-2009, 07:02 PM
9 Second Club

here's a pic of the carseat at the G.O.N.E. carshow last year. Note how the harness threads right into the provisions on the carseat.
Attached Thumbnails 6 point cage with an useable back seat?-gone39gq0.jpg  
Old 10-05-2009, 09:22 PM
TJ
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

here's a pic of the carseat at the G.O.N.E. carshow last year. Note how the harness threads right into the provisions on the carseat.
if you are going to do it, that looks like a more safe method than others.

im in with the guys about the air bags. older cars dont have them. dont discriminate.
has anyone ever seen a child in a front seat of an 80's car and thought. "oh, he needs to trade that car in and think of his kids."
doubt it.
no flaming, just a point.
Old 10-07-2009, 09:43 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Camaro396
Why don't you just put her in the front seat? If she's too young to ride in the front seat, then she's too young to give a **** what kind of car she's riding in anyways.

you obviously dont have kids (or kids into cars) my daughter is only 2 and when we take mommy's car she is like ''noooo... dadda's car brap brap brap) imitating my cam. its pretty cute and hard to say no to.
Old 10-07-2009, 10:25 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

hahaha brap brap brap thats awesome
Old 10-07-2009, 10:08 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by tribaltalon
you obviously dont have kids (or kids into cars) my daughter is only 2 and when we take mommy's car she is like ''noooo... dadda's car brap brap brap) imitating my cam. its pretty cute and hard to say no to.
You're right, I don't. I'm only 20 myself. But it is awesome that your guy's kids like your cars they way they do at such a young age, but that doesn't change the fact of being safe.

Pick one or the other. Cage a car fast enough to need one, and tell her she's going to have to sit the game out until shes a little bit older, or don't cage the car, leaving it unsafe at the track, and keep taking her for rides.

Whatever you do, DON'T put a kid in the back of a caged car.
Old 10-08-2009, 09:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

My car has a 6-pt in it and I've gotta agree with the fact that it's unsafe, especially for such a young child. I've had friends ride in the back, but they were fully aware of the consequences and would have been driving totally smashed if they didn't (I feel like that's a good enough compromise).

On the other hand, remember all the dumb stuff that we all survived when we were kids. I vividly remember the "good old days" (and I'm only 22) when me and my little brother would don sweatshirts and motorcycle helments to have bb gun wars, and dad would pull our sleds around town behind our Blazer when it snowed.

It kinda makes you wonder how far this safety stuff will go before people stop caring and want to live a little "wilder" instead of being so protected all the time.

Is there any way you can get something set up like tektrans so that you can both still enjoy the car together? That seems like a very safe alternative to me... Especially if you don't have a passenger air bag.
Old 10-09-2009, 06:36 AM
TJ
TECH Junkie

just because someone is aware of the danger, doesnt mean they should do it.
getting pulled behind the blazer is fun, ive done it too, but there is a less likely chance of serious head injury or death in anything you mention(and many other things) than riding in a caged car.
buddy of mine broke his neck and is very lucky to be walking again from riding in a caged car with just a lapbelt, no helmet, and no padding.
sideswiped a tree, and he hit the main hoop with his head.
full deal brace for 3 months.
it can happen.
Old 10-09-2009, 12:24 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TJ
just because someone is aware of the danger, doesnt mean they should do it.
getting pulled behind the blazer is fun, ive done it too, but there is a less likely chance of serious head injury or death in anything you mention(and many other things) than riding in a caged car.
buddy of mine broke his neck and is very lucky to be walking again from riding in a caged car with just a lapbelt, no helmet, and no padding.
sideswiped a tree, and he hit the main hoop with his head.
full deal brace for 3 months.
it can happen.

Per NHRA you are SUPPOSED to put padding any place on the cage/bar that your head might hit........ plenty of people that will tell you it still hurts bad but is better then nothing. Ill never drive a cage car again with a regular seat belt...... not safe for a driver even... to much movement with a factory belt.

My last car was monster and only had a 4 point in it and my mom sat back there once...... ONCE.... after I saw the dangers in that I said no more.... it did not even have the harness bar either....
Old 10-09-2009, 01:19 PM
TECH Resident

i know this guy who slipped in the shower. fell, broke his neck and died. it can happen. please people, do not EVER take a shower again. its not worth it....
Old 10-09-2009, 06:35 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by gold98Z28
i know this guy who slipped in the shower. fell, broke his neck and died. it can happen. please people, do not EVER take a shower again. its not worth it....
Some people are deffinitally getting bent out of shape over this topic.
Old 10-09-2009, 06:51 PM
TECH Addict

i dont have kids yet but as suggested multiple times in this thread its just too risky and id suggest not to do it. if its got a roll bar no one period adult or child should be allowed to ride back there. just because yeah nothing probably would happen BUT there is always a chance even if it's a mile or two from the house i just personally think id stay away from that idea
Old 10-09-2009, 11:35 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by airfix
Some people are deffinitally getting bent out of shape over this topic.
Nothing spurs passion like the thought of protecting a child;
execept maybe someone telling you how to protect your own.
Old 10-17-2009, 04:25 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by tribaltalon
Yeah my 3 year old son hates Mommies car if Dada's car is an option. He says mine is a race car and tries to imitate it too.......the wife asked him what her car sounded like,a Cobalt, and he goes "It doesn't make sounds Mommie"

If I ever cage it he's not riding in the back. Of course then again....I do let him ride with the wife Talk about picking the poison.
Old 03-21-2010, 03:49 PM
TECH Regular

Hahaha noxious.
Old 03-21-2010, 06:10 PM
11 Second Club

i see both sides to this dilema. but i have to say that some people are just over cautious im only 22 but if my dad wouldnt have let me ride in his cars with him because they were fast i dont think i would even have my t/a i would probally have some sort of practical car and be having no fun workin on or racing my car. im not saying weather or not its a good idea to put a child in a caged car but being an emt i have seen completely stock cars with kids in them that were in accidents and the kids didnt survive. so i guess no one should drive kids around just incase they are in an accident weather it be their fault or some idiot drunk driver.

Quick Reply: 6 point cage with an useable back seat?