Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Instant center AS and IC ht. numbers

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 02:03 PM
7 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mdacton
dont have the time to teach school, no offense dude....... but you guys are talking and im not hearing what I want to
i've always heard these 2 ways... and i've never had many people debate about it.... my car works how it is so i may not change much... but i do know when the *** of my car was low it couldnt get any lift... now raised back up a little it's much better
Old 10-07-2009, 02:06 PM
7 Second Club

i like the higher shorter bar.... 9" high would seem about right... how high is your crank center line off the ground?
Old 10-07-2009, 02:10 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by ty_ty13
i like the higher shorter bar.... 9" high would seem about right... how high is your crank center line off the ground?
I need to know why your asking first...... I cant give you all my secrets
Old 10-07-2009, 02:12 PM
7 Second Club

I need to know why your asking first...... I cant give you all my secrets
IC height depends on motor height as that is where most of you weight comes from.... we get close to it... seems ok..
Old 10-07-2009, 02:13 PM
9 Second Club

IC height depends on motor height as that is where most of you weight comes from.... we get close to it... seems ok..
no it does not
Old 10-07-2009, 02:16 PM
7 Second Club

no it does not
the higher you set a motor in a car the easier it is to tip the car up... and so on for a motor thats lower....

ic height will depend on motor height....
Old 10-07-2009, 02:22 PM
9 Second Club

the higher you set a motor in a car the easier it is to tip the car up... and so on for a motor thats lower....

ic height will depend on motor height....
no it will not sir, as I previously stated you are wrong and I do not have time to teach school to you. Go do some home work.....

IC ht. has nothing to do with the crank center line, I can set the engien on the roof...IC ht. has nothing to do with that, maybe your talking about center of gravity or something.... I dont know what you are talking about
Old 10-07-2009, 02:25 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

alot of misleading information here

Legth of instant center is not fixed with a T/A.

relo brackes make IC shorter, basic stuff...... I know all that

You claim you know it all and have secrets you don't want to share, but your on here asking for help? You don't have the time to teach school but you have enough time to come on here and try and get some answers?

Whats the false information? What i said? If so your also disagreeing with jerry bickel and Don Ness. Don is the smartest guy out there when it comes to drag car suspension and for you to say hes wrong I cant help but laugh.

Show us exactly how you calculate IC.
Old 10-07-2009, 02:27 PM
7 Second Club

your right it does not effect how the lines are drawn but it gives you a hint where the IC needs to be based on where the weight is in the car and how high and far back it is... geeeeez......
Old 10-07-2009, 02:27 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by promod1955
You claim you know it all and have secrets you don't want to share, but your on here asking for help?
Never claimed to know it all, I asked a question.
Old 10-07-2009, 02:34 PM
11 Second Club

Never claimed to know it all, I asked a question.
It's hard to help someone who doesn't want to listen.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
Old 10-07-2009, 02:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

your right it does not effect how the lines are drawn but it gives you a hint where the IC needs to be based on where the weight is in the car and how high and far back it is... geeeeez......
he's right. Motor height has nothing to do w/ instant center. but it does affect center of gravity, and hence where your ic needs to be located.

You can push up north, south, above, below or right at your center of gravity. shortening that torque arm makes it a lot easier to push to the south.
Old 10-07-2009, 02:43 PM
7 Second Club

Originally Posted by tee-boy
he's right. Motor height has nothing to do w/ instant center. but it does affect center of gravity, and hence where your ic needs to be located.

You can push up north, south, above, below or right at your center of gravity. shortening that torque arm makes it a lot easier to push to the south.
for a moment i thought i was in a different parallel universe...
Old 10-07-2009, 02:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default dfdfdf

Ah... Probably perpindicular to the milky way and 30 degrees south of the blackhole.
Old 10-07-2009, 07:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Length of instant center is not fixed with a T/A.
Mike, I believe that you are wrong about that one.

relo brackes make IC shorter
Relocation brackets are good for setting the lower control arm angle correctly. If they are pointing up it is very easy to put the IC so far back that it puts everything in a bind. Hence, so many broken torque arms on this site.
Old 10-07-2009, 07:47 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by GIZMO
Mike, I believe that you are wrong about that one.

Relocation brackets are good for setting the lower control arm angle correctly. If they are pointing up it is very easy to put the IC so far back that it puts everything in a bind. Hence, so many broken torque arms on this site.
Darren..... think about the 3rd link in these cars.....IC is not fixed.
3rd link is only an upper link. IC can be moved up or down forward or back just like anything else.

I do realize one thing, Madman def has the best TA I have seen and I plan to get one this winter, he has all the adjustability built into it where it takes me several hours to make an adjustment and plot this out making brackets/links etc.
Old 10-07-2009, 09:49 PM
11 Second Club

mdacton, the torque arm is not a third link. Think about a ladder bar. Its IC length is determined by the length of the ladder bar.

Think about this:

Put a rearend housing on jack stands and bolt on a set of ladder bars. Now stand behind the rear end and pull the top of the housing back towards you. What happens? The front of the ladder bar goes straight up and down. not backwards. the vertical motion shows the IC is the length of the ladder bar.

If you do the same for a 4link, the bottom link bars go forward, the top link bars go backwards.

If you do the same for a torque arm setup, the torque arm goes straight up and down just like the ladder bar. This is why its your IC length. The torque arm sees a vertical motion. not horizontal.

Gizmo is completely correct. Mdacton, again I would realy like to see your method on calculating a torque arm IC. Im VERY curious to see how you do it different then those that have proven the geometry in the picture i posted both on paper and in a pro stock car.
Old 10-07-2009, 10:46 PM
9 Second Club

mdacton, the torque arm is not a third link. Think about a ladder bar. Its IC length is determined by the length of the ladder bar.

Think about this:

Put a rearend housing on jack stands and bolt on a set of ladder bars. Now stand behind the rear end and pull the top of the housing back towards you. What happens? The front of the ladder bar goes straight up and down. not backwards. the vertical motion shows the IC is the length of the ladder bar.

If you do the same for a 4link, the bottom link bars go forward, the top link bars go backwards.

If you do the same for a torque arm setup, the torque arm goes straight up and down just like the ladder bar. This is why its your IC length. The torque arm sees a vertical motion. not horizontal.

Gizmo is completely correct. Mdacton, again I would realy like to see your method on calculating a torque arm IC. Im VERY curious to see how you do it different then those that have proven the geometry in the picture i posted both on paper and in a pro stock car.
your wrong, it is not like a ladder bar you have 2 independeny mounting point on the housing it can pivit from each one, hat means somewhere along the line they have an intersecting point.

tq arm does not go straight up and down, thats why they have links on them or a sliding joint. Ride ht front or rear would also change IC

Why do you need my method? You say its flawed.... Good day sir
Old 10-07-2009, 10:55 PM
11 Second Club

You say I'm wrong but you don't even know how to explain your method? I see your in VA. Where do you race at? I'de love to see how your car works at the track.
Old 10-07-2009, 11:04 PM
9 Second Club

You say I'm wrong but you don't even know how to explain your method? I see your in VA. Where do you race at? I'de love to see how your car works at the track.
richmond, VMP, MIR

Be at richmond sat. Maybe I am wrong about all of it, feel free to come show me where I am wrong, If you teach me something I will gladly pay you if I go faster

Car works like this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SxBSuVJHr4

http://s125.photobucket.com/albums/p...est7-18-09.flv

Quick Reply: Instant center AS and IC ht. numbers