Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Instant center AS and IC ht. numbers

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 07:42 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tomcowle
I'd play with your front shock setting and slow it down on the compression side.

How does this work on the hose out of the hole?
too violent.

no a issue now tho.... I got it settled down
Old 10-19-2009, 07:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

ic , cog, all fine and dandy. also take into consideration how a small change in rotation of end of torque arm will change the rotation of the front end. So .... if tq arm rotates up on an arc of 1 inch, how much will the nose of the car rotate up on an arc? Well, I would say it depends on where the chassis side of the torque arm is attached to the chassis (from front to back). What you've got is levers acting upon levers. I would say the shorter the torque arm, the more lift you can get on the front end (change in nose travel is inversly related to the change in torque arm length). But you won't get any lift with a short arm unless center of gravity will allow (so you will need to move that back as well).

So... How do I get my 60' down. Isn't that the real question? Seems to me you want 2 things... Have enough traction (no 1 objective). Rob less of the motors power into the suspension (no 2 objective); in other words get the weight to the wheels, get the power to the wheels as quickly as possible and use it to get the car going forward instead of binding the suspension, putting the nose vertical, or raking the car up in the back.

Makes sense to me.

Last edited by tee-boy; 10-20-2009 at 06:32 AM.
Old 10-19-2009, 09:11 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by GIZMO
lol!!
i dont get what is so funny?
Old 10-20-2009, 08:24 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by styoung
i dont get what is so funny?
That is the thread where the experts are comparing a torque arm suspension to a four link. This is the thread where they are saying otherwise. Just strikes me funny that you are sending people back to the wrong information.
Old 10-20-2009, 11:10 AM
7 Second Club

Originally Posted by MADMAN
The adjustment holes in our arm isnt just a selling tool. We have been building this arm since early 95( we have made upgrades and revisions as we learned). I have found after 1000s of passes on t/a equipped cars that this suspension isnt like a 3/4 link or a ladder bar. 90% of the info about this suspension is for road racing cars so you throw that out the window.

If you move the front of the t/a up in the car then it will hit the tire quickly but it will unload the tire faster. Lowering the arm will pick up more weight and keep the tire planted longer. I dont get into all the math formulas for this style suspension because the theory isnt right.
is there anything you can tell us on setting up your TA... right now i have a BMR Xtreme but it plants the tire hard on the starting line and *usually spins about 5-10' out....

i like having lots of adjustment but to me its no good unless i know what the effects will be.... i've been looking at your TA for a while but as it is right now i have no idea as the effects of the TA and LCA angles... like i said i'd buy one if i knew i could make changes to the IC and know where it puts it.
Old 10-25-2009, 11:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Reboot
Me too.......This Spohn arm is killing me
WHy? Had 3250 lb cars in the mid 1.2s NA multiple times with that arm. On 275 radials.
Old 10-25-2009, 11:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ty_ty13
is there anything you can tell us on setting up your TA... right now i have a BMR Xtreme but it plants the tire hard on the starting line and *usually spins about 5-10' out....

i like having lots of adjustment but to me its no good unless i know what the effects will be.... i've been looking at your TA for a while but as it is right now i have no idea as the effects of the TA and LCA angles... like i said i'd buy one if i knew i could make changes to the IC and know where it puts it.
Is the tire bounding back off the track unloading it? We had the car knocking the tires off like that 20 ft out with the wheels 2 ft in the air, sketchy!
Old 10-26-2009, 09:48 AM
7 Second Club

a big block and small block car will 60' totally different.... ours is a big block on dope... and its a little heavy up front so i'm not looking for anything too crazy on these 275 radials... just an average of about 1.35
Old 10-26-2009, 11:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default Ls3

a big block and small block car will 60' totally different.... ours is a big block on dope... and its a little heavy up front so i'm not looking for anything too crazy on these 275 radials... just an average of about 1.35
How you think a stroked LS3 build would do for you?
Old 10-26-2009, 12:59 PM
7 Second Club

Originally Posted by tee-boy
How you think a stroked LS3 build would do for you?
what do you mean? BBC and sbc cars torque curve is rediculously different and bbc are much heavier... plays a big part in 60'... thats why you see all these rediculous 60' times out of small block cars and not big healthy BBC cars..... play a big role especially on a mediocre to **** hole track...
Old 10-26-2009, 07:32 PM
9 Second Club

what do you mean? BBC and sbc cars torque curve is rediculously different and bbc are much heavier... plays a big part in 60'... thats why you see all these rediculous 60' times out of small block cars and not big healthy BBC cars..... play a big role especially on a mediocre to **** hole track...
I know someone with a 3400# iron head 468 that cuts 1.27 on motor no tbrake either
Old 10-26-2009, 08:27 PM
7 Second Club

Originally Posted by mdacton
I know someone with a 3400# iron head 468 that cuts 1.27 on motor no tbrake either

on a good track thats not unreasonable... what tires and what suspension?
Old 10-26-2009, 09:58 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MADMAN
From seeing the video I would look more at shock settings.
tighter rebound in the front and less compression?
Old 10-27-2009, 04:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

exactly. that's why I would build (if i had the money) a stroked aluminum LS3 b4 a BBC. Seems to me, the LS3 should be the current platform of choice (not considering the dollar / hp ratio).
Old 10-27-2009, 08:29 AM
7 Second Club

Originally Posted by tee-boy
exactly. that's why I would build (if i had the money) a stroked aluminum LS3 b4 a BBC. Seems to me, the LS3 should be the current platform of choice (not considering the dollar / hp ratio).
big block is the way to go.... why do you think they add so much more weight to big blocks in racing series... more power and faster.
Old 10-27-2009, 09:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

big block is the way to go.... why do you think they add so much more weight to big blocks in racing series... more power and faster.
sure. for all out heads up power.
Old 10-27-2009, 09:38 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Mikey 97Z M6
I'll let you school me if you want? LOL...

If what you're saying is true, then why do several manufactures offer torque arms with adjustable vertical settings for the front? If what you're saying is true, then adjusting the front of the torque arm up, or down, wouldn't have any effect at all. Correct? Here's an example of what I'm talking about. BTW, I have no idea what to believe at this point and I'm just trying to learn like anyone else.

My car is lowered almost 2" and it has a Spohn tunnel mounted torque arm. I fabricated some new rotator plates for the front so that I could move the front of my t/a upward toward the tunnel. My thought process was that since the car is lowered, the front of the t/a needs to be raised back up. I did this because after reviewing my videos in slow motion, the tires were being hit really hard at first (driving them downward), then unloading almost immediately. After raising the t/a up about 1.5", and after reviewing more video, the tires weren't being hit nearly as hard and the launches were more controllable. Since then, I've installed Strange drag shocks in the front and now I've moved the t/a back down one hole (about .75"), and set the rear (comp engineering) shocks on full firm on compression (70/30). I'm hoping to get the tires to plant hard again (but not AS hard as previous) and that the added front drag shocks, and stiffer compression on the rear shocks will help keep the tires planted longer.

BTW, this is a 6sp car and I'm currently launching around 5k rpm and still spinning my way to 1.66 - 1.70 60' times. Would love to hit mid 1.5's.

Mike
With your brackets you just made the car do what it does in your videos in the other post. You need to bring your IC intersecting point down and back. I aim for the drivers elbow for that imaginary IC point to start my initial setting. This will kill some of that squat and unloading you are experiencing in the videos and help provide faster forward motion. The rear shocks need to be on 50/50 setting as well.

Quick Reply: Instant center AS and IC ht. numbers