Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So I need a drag wheel that is street friendly...

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 01:55 PM
7 Second Club

Received 283 Likes on 187 Posts

I am really liking the price on the billet specialties wheels and honestly I think they look as good if not a little bit better than the welds. Convo's won't work for the aforementioned reason.
Old 10-14-2009, 01:57 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
If they're light... something's up. Either the material is porous, or they're thin somewhere... alum. is alum, to be strong there has to be some mass somewhere.
Trust me, they are fine for street driving. They are a street wheel..that's what they were built for. Weld has been building wheels for almost 43 years now, I think they have it figured out.
Old 10-14-2009, 02:06 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Weld isn't in business any longer are they? I thought there was a thread that dlove started on here about the prostar design being made by a new wheel company that bought weld out after Greg Weld passed away.

Weld makes a very good wheel, one of the few companies I would even put on my car.

As for convo's not being available in the right backspacing.. that's why you can have axles narrowed
Old 10-14-2009, 02:20 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
Weld isn't in business any longer are they? I thought there was a thread that dlove started on here about the prostar design being made by a new wheel company that bought weld out after Greg Weld passed away.

Weld makes a very good wheel, one of the few companies I would even put on my car.

As for convo's not being available in the right backspacing.. that's why you can have axles narrowed
The OP currently has a stock length rear end. I doubt he would go through the trouble of narrowing it just to put ugly wheels on his car

Weld Racing is very much in business. They have been since 1967. If they wern't in business, how could they have just released 12 new R/T series wheels for late model F-Bodies!

The wheels that dlove posted about were Greg Welds. Completely different company. Their "dragstar" wheel was a copy of Weld racings Prostar wheel. After Greg Weld passed away, the company was bought out by this Race Star Industries place, and they have made some changes to the wheel, and are going to release them shortly. The thing I don't like about those wheels is their egg shaped uni-pattern bolt design. Their one wheel fits anything from 5x4.5 to 5x4.75 to 5x5 with the only thing changing is the shape of the washer. I can't see it being very safe at higher speeds.
Old 10-14-2009, 02:27 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I didn't mention anything about wanting the new ones.. those IMO aren't something that I would use either.
Old 10-14-2009, 02:35 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recall a thread with the bogart guy(SMJ) saying just because they say don't drive them on the street doesn't mean they aren't strong. Thn went on saying he believes his wheels are strong then most street wheels on the market. I also believe the bogarts are repairible if you bend one...
Old 10-14-2009, 03:30 PM
7 Second Club

Originally Posted by 4bangermustang
I recall a thread with the bogart guy(SMJ) saying just because they say don't drive them on the street doesn't mean they aren't strong. Thn went on saying he believes his wheels are strong then most street wheels on the market. I also believe the bogarts are repairible if you bend one...
I have driven mine on the street many times and mine have not broken but that's not the point. I personally know of one that has and there have been a few on here as well and I am not interested in having the lightest drag wheel out there at the sacrifice of strength at this point in the game.
Old 10-14-2009, 03:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

I love the R/T's but at $400 a wheel they're a little to rich for my blood. It would take me about 4 months of saving to be comfortable buying those. The street lites you can almost get all 4 for the same price. I also might wait for the the new RSI wheels to see what those are about since they have a similar price with the street lites.
Old 10-14-2009, 10:31 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We can build street/strip wheels in our Bogart Bolted configurations.

Both front and rear wheels are still a direct fit. They are NOT a drag wheel; they are designed as a street/strip wheel...just as other similar styles are intended.

They are the still the lightest of the street/strip combo' on the market and they have the largest front wheel backspace of them all (up to 1/2" more for 4th gen Camaro's)which tucks the wheel inward under the fender well better than others.

They are slightly more expensive than billet specialties, but less expensive than welds new street/strip wheel.

We carry a 3 year warranty. We have not updated the website fully yet, but we can build you ANY bolted style wheel from the P1 section. Don't see a bolted wheel you like and yet like a non-bolted style...we can turn the non-bolted wheel style you prefer into a bolted wheel.

4bangermustang, you may have misread or misunderstood a previous discussion. My statement of our most durable wheels that you're referring to would be our road race wheels...which are a completely different animal vs. a street/strip or drag wheel.

Our wheels are not for everyone. If you're interested in a budget cast wheel, we and others cannot compete with Chinese designs...but you get what you pay for.

I'd be happy to discuss our products further for anyone interested. Feel free to call me during normal business hours of which I can address each person’s concerns personally.

BTW, NicD we can try to accommodate you with a setup that can be used for the stock configuration and Strange brakes. We can also offer you a solution when you're ready for the Strange brakes. We offer exclusive Strange Engineering specials for our Bogart wheel customers.

Last edited by SJM Manufacturing Inc; 10-14-2009 at 10:37 PM.
Old 10-14-2009, 11:01 PM
TECH Addict

ive been looking into the CCW drag packs... i do like the billet specialties too though
Old 10-14-2009, 11:24 PM
11 Second Club

i dd with my prostars and have never had a problem. 15x3.5 and 15x10's
Old 10-15-2009, 10:31 PM
11 Second Club

The billet specialties wheels are a very nice wheel for the street. The price Isn't bad either and its a very nice looking wheel.
Old 10-18-2009, 04:29 PM
On The Tree

So the Centerline Convo Pros will clear LS1 brakes without modification?

Does anybody know if the Convo ETs (draglite style) will clear as well?

Also, anybody know what the pricing is on either of those? They don't list it on the website.
Old 10-18-2009, 04:43 PM
7 Second Club

Talked to Steve at SJM on friday afternoon and talked about a set of bolted D10s made for a street/strip app and I will probably be ordering some on Monday or Tuesday. I like tucking the front tires in more and maybe changing up my rear offset a minor amount to suite my combo. Might try and squeek in the strange front brakes as well if it's in my budget but I might have to wait on that.
Old 10-18-2009, 05:20 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by NicD
Talked to Steve at SJM on friday afternoon and talked about a set of bolted D10s made for a street/strip app and I will probably be ordering some on Monday or Tuesday. I like tucking the front tires in more and maybe changing up my rear offset a minor amount to suite my combo. Might try and squeek in the strange front brakes as well if it's in my budget but I might have to wait on that.
NICE.

so will the other D10's get sold off?

Chad
Old 10-18-2009, 05:45 PM
7 Second Club

Originally Posted by Nimitz87
NICE.

so will the other D10's get sold off?

Chad
Yes I will be selling my drag Bogarts and my Fikse wheels to just get one set of wheels for street and strip. The Fikse wheels are already spoken for but I will be posting up my drag Bogarts in a few weeks.
Old 10-18-2009, 06:51 PM
Teching In

I am sure someone has mentioned......The Weld RT serie's wheel's look amazing and are very streetable.....
Old 10-19-2009, 03:18 PM
On The Tree

So does anybody know if Convo ETs clear LS1 brakes or is it just the Convo Pros?

Quick Reply: So I need a drag wheel that is street friendly...