Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY - Anti-Sway Bar, Drag Race Sway Bar

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 02:09 PM
11 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

With your mph and a decent 60ft time your car should run in the tens easily!
Old 10-31-2009, 03:33 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well I made it to the track last night with the new LCA mounts on the rearend. Made 4 passes, and on the 5th pass this happened.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TgzhLSBsm4

I think it chucked a rod or spit a valve. Either way it's not good..... Looks like it's time for an upgrade. I just hope the Darton sleeved block is still salvagable.

Mike
Old 10-31-2009, 04:01 PM
11 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikey 97Z M6
Well I made it to the track last night with the new LCA mounts on the rearend. Made 4 passes, and on the 5th pass this happened.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TgzhLSBsm4

I think it chucked a rod or spit a valve. Either way it's not good..... Looks like it's time for an upgrade. I just hope the Darton sleeved block is still salvagable.

Mike
Sounds like it was possibly hurt at the line.

That sucks.
Old 10-31-2009, 04:37 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ouch .... hope it's not too much damage
Old 10-31-2009, 05:20 PM
11 Second Club

looks like money

oh well...thats why we dont drive hondas
Old 10-31-2009, 05:42 PM
11 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

What did you run? The car look like it came out the hole pretty decent and isn't hitting the tire as hard!
Old 10-31-2009, 07:39 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Instant center and shock adjustment. Looks like it spun pretty good on the last pass that took out the motor. GL with getting it back on the road. Looks like it trapped 118.6, motor was hurt pretty good if you were trapping 125 before.
Old 10-31-2009, 08:59 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by nocooler
Sounds like it was possibly hurt at the line.

That sucks.
Yes it was hurt at the line. I have one injector that's missing the metal retainer and it pops off every once in awhile so I thought that was what happened. Little did I realize the engine was hurtin'.

Originally Posted by transam69230
What did you run? The car look like it came out the hole pretty decent and isn't hitting the tire as hard!
I'm not sure, I didn't even pick up the slip. The four previous runs were low 1.7x's, so the suspension changes were working. You're correct, I've reviewed the good runs in slowmo, and it wasn't shocking the tires as bad. Could have dropped the lca's another hole or two. These runs were with the LCA at 4.5 degrees without me in the car.

Originally Posted by 02 BLK WS6
Instant center and shock adjustment. Looks like it spun pretty good on the last pass that took out the motor. GL with getting it back on the road. Looks like it trapped 118.6, motor was hurt pretty good if you were trapping 125 before.
Didn't get the chance to change the rear shock settings, so they were still at 70/30.

I won't have a chance to really dig into the engine until later this week. I did pull a valvecover and all the spark plugs from the driver side where all the oil came from. All the plugs looked good, and no broken valves or springs.

Mike
Old 11-01-2009, 01:58 AM
TECH Addict

Id bet those sleeves have moved around. That sucks.
Old 11-02-2009, 04:35 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by xfactor_pitbulls
Id bet those sleeves have moved around. That sucks.
I don't think the sleeves had anything to do with this. Pushing close to 600 flywheel hp on a stock connecting rod is most likely the cause. I'm pulling the engine out of the car now. Looks like it chucked a connecting rod through the block located just under the driver side motor mount. From what I've seen, it didn't hit a water jacket. Even if the sleeve is messed up, the block could still possibly be salvagable. That's one of the benefits of of the Darton MID system, individual replaceable sleeves.

I should know more by tomorrow (keeping fingers crossed that the inside of the block isn't fubar'd).

Mike
Old 11-04-2009, 03:22 AM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Stock rods.... There is no way in hell I would put a stock rod in an expensive block like that. The price difference between a stock rod with a good bolt in it and a cheap aftermarket rod is about $210.

I hope for you that it didn't take out your block.
Old 11-04-2009, 09:11 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Mikey 97Z M6
Even if the sleeve is messed up, the block could still possibly be salvagable. That's one of the benefits of of the Darton MID system, individual replaceable sleeves.
Yea because it will buff out right? You've got to be kidding me if you really think a hole in the side of the block is salvageable.
Old 11-04-2009, 12:31 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by xfactor_pitbulls
Yea because it will buff out right? You've got to be kidding me if you really think a hole in the side of the block is salvageable.
LOL,,, yeah I'm kidding.... Like I said, it didn't hit the water jacket and it's between the pan mounting surface and the bottom part of the sleeve. The individual MID sleeves were designed for somewhat easy replacement. The block is aluminum, so it's not that difficult to weld by someone who knows what they're doing. As long as the block is stress relieved afterward it will be fine. The only foreseeable problem I see, is that the labor to repair it might outweigh the worth of the block when it's done. I'll be making some calls this week to get an idea how much I'm looking for repair work. If I had a TIG machine, I'd weld it myself.

Originally Posted by Beaflag VonRathburg
Stock rods.... There is no way in hell I would put a stock rod in an expensive block like that. The price difference between a stock rod with a good bolt in it and a cheap aftermarket rod is about $210.

I hope for you that it didn't take out your block.
I got a good deal on this used shortblock so if it's salvagable great, if not, no biggie. You are correct, and I personally would not have built it this way, but I was on a tight budget when I put it in the car. That means I couldn't afford to buy the aftermarket rod, then have it re-balanced. Sometimes we have to make compromises to get where we want. Unfortunately this was my compromise and I'm dealing with the consequences now.

Mike

Quick Reply: DIY - Anti-Sway Bar, Drag Race Sway Bar