Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

battery box location

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 04:43 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default battery box location

I'm stumped on where to put the sealed battery box in my T/A. The bars of the cage come down on either side of the t-top well. Then my chute mount comes in through the rear end connects to the two bars with a T.

Is it legal to have the battery box mounted to the cage? I'm thinking of using 3 u bolts and mounting it on the "T". I know its supposed to be bolted to the frame of the car but technically the cage is welded to the frame, so?
Old 10-29-2009, 09:26 PM
TECH Regular

Mine is in the the pass rear fender well. I used the studs that come through that hold the bumper cover on. I used some alluminum angle iron and fabricated the tray to mount the moroso sealed box. It worked pretty well. I can attach the factory interior panel that covers the spare tire.
Old 10-30-2009, 08:33 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

If you are not able to it to the cage we offer a battery mount that fits into the spare tire area. It is not a sealed box but you can seal the area off to make it legal. Here are some pics of it installed. If you have any questions or need me to send you one please give me a call.
Attached Thumbnails battery box location-bb-install1thumb.gif   battery box location-bb-install2thumb.gif   battery box location-batterybox-thumb.gif  
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 10-30-2009, 09:03 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I monted mine to a couple pcs of roundbar that we welded to the front and back of the t top area.

I don't have the pic's on my work computer, but there's one floating around on here somewhere.

If you are going to put a bulkhead in to seal off the trunk, the BMR bracket is simple and straitforward, it would allow a fuel cell to be mounted back there too instead of the stock tank setup should that ever become something you'd like to have.

You could, just bolt a moroso box down in the bottom of the t top well, just use some large washers on the box and it will be pretty secure, and should be legal I'd think.
Old 10-31-2009, 10:39 AM
9 Second Club

I need to get some pics to show my dilemma. The bars block the spare tire area and the other side. Also they completely block the t top well. My only options are mounting it to the bar or using a very small battery. I already have a sealed box and it's pretty big. Just can't figure out if I should use it or not.
Old 10-31-2009, 04:17 PM
Race your car!

Here, not the best but you can see the downbar I have in the back, and the position of the box and the cutoff switch.

The battery box was supported by 2 pieces of round bar, that are welded to the back wall and front of the t top well.

Simple, effective, leaves me enough room to cut the t top well out so the sissy bars won't hit, should be perfect.

Last edited by JL ws-6; 08-14-2012 at 09:46 PM.
Old 11-01-2009, 05:28 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
Here, not the best but you can see the downbar I have in the back, and the position of the box and the cutoff switch.

The battery box was supported by 2 pieces of round bar, that are welded to the back wall and front of the t top well.

Simple, effective, leaves me enough room to cut the t top well out so the sissy bars won't hit, should be perfect.
That is exactly what I will have to do! I have the chute mount coming in through the back then there is a tee that connects the two downbars. I guess that is pretty similar to yours.

How is the box mounted on the round bar?
Old 11-02-2009, 04:21 AM
Race your car!

2 small pieces that are welded @ a 90 degree, some threaded rod (3/8) that comes thru the box and holds the battery down, box is sandwiched in between. I siliconed up the couple holes we had to put in it for the wires, ran the vent tube thru the floor.

Tech always likes it, thing's solid as a rock, came out good IMO.
Old 11-02-2009, 04:17 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do optima batteries need a sealed box?
Old 11-02-2009, 05:05 PM
9 Second Club

From what I understand yes. It don't matter if you run a dry cell battery or not, it needs to be in a sealed box.
Old 11-02-2009, 06:59 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn I thought it didnt, or at least had some kind of exception.
Old 11-03-2009, 05:30 AM
Race your car!

All batteries must be in a sealed box unless you have a bulkhead that seals the trunk area off.

In that case, you don't have to put them in a box. I personally, still don't understand how a metal box is legal. The idea of a battery in a box it can short out on.. just seems like a hazard waiting to happen IMO