Sponsored by:

Going from 8 point roll bar to 10 point roll cage

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 06:17 PM
TJ
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 383lt1impala
Go with chromoly not just for weight savings but for added safety. I will be doing a custom made cm 10 point for my impala.
how is the moly more safe?
Old 12-13-2009, 07:23 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by black01_WS6
so is the wolf 6 point and ther 10 point different diameters of tubing?

I was told to buy a 10 point but put in the 6 point of it now, as the track really doesn't check thickness- and when I get fast enough put the rest of it in and be certified to run the #.

Is there any truth to this? If so I will be buying a 10 point after christmas.
You could but you would need different door bars since the door bars in a 10 point attach to the front bars not the floor like a 6 point
Old 12-13-2009, 08:32 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by black01_WS6
so is the wolf 6 point and ther 10 point different diameters of tubing?

I was told to buy a 10 point but put in the 6 point of it now, as the track really doesn't check thickness- and when I get fast enough put the rest of it in and be certified to run the #.

Is there any truth to this? If so I will be buying a 10 point after christmas.
6points must be 1.75" OD, 10 points must 1.626" od, except for the harness bar.
Old 12-15-2009, 04:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dschmittie1
You could but you would need different door bars since the door bars in a 10 point attach to the front bars not the floor like a 6 point
Ya I forgot about that. Christmas can't come soon enough. haha.
Old 12-16-2009, 08:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TJ
how is the moly more safe?
its more stronger.
Old 12-17-2009, 08:50 PM
TJ
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 383lt1impala
its more stronger.
it has a higher tensile strength than steel, but thats why people use moly in the 1st place. to save weight with the different wall thickness.
im not a guru on metallurgy, but there are many aspects and advantages/disadvantages to either metal.
you just cant say its stronger unless you are comparing apples to apples.
Old 02-15-2010, 10:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Normalized it's not significantly stronger, typically less than 3% difference and their accepted strength ranges overlap, so comparing identical pieces of 1018 and 4130 it is possible for either to test stronger.

Secondly, 4130 self quenches when welding resulting a brittle HAZ around the welds which will tend to crack on impact. It's a stupid rule that I've never heard anyone give a good reason for (if someone knows of one I'd love to hear it). Other sanctioning bodies (for example NASCAR) completely outlaw the use of chromemoly in safety cages/anywhere in the vicinity of the driver. Typcally they're mild steel and MIG welded, another thing I don't get, why do they require TIG welds for "faster" cages? Done correctly, the MIG can be done 3-5x faster, putting less total heat into the metal and still getting complete penetration. Yes, TIG can be more precise, but we're talking about relatively heavy pipe joints, if you can't get precise enough MIG joints on the stuff you shouldn't be doing any kind of welding on anything safety related, period. OTOH, I wouldn't be surprised if someone took a random sample of the TIG welds in roll cages and found that >75% of them either overheated the metal or were just superficially good looking but not structurally sound.
Old 02-15-2010, 10:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Reboot
I just did the upgrade from Spohn S&W 8 point to 10 point. I bought the before dash bars and upper hoop from SW and they fit like crap and gave me no headroom or legal place to mount the window net. I ended up having a chassis guy custom bending bars and upper hoop so I had head clearance and could get in the car (i'm 6'2). Turned out pretty nice and only added 21lbs to the weight of the car. He left the door bars 1 3/4 and made the front bars and upper hoop 1 5/8.

I'll see if I can snap some pictures tonight.
What are some of you bigger guys doing to deal with the cage/t-top thing? I'm 6'4" and 300# and I'm considering converting my t-top car to hard top just to get a little extra head room when I put a cage in it.
Old 02-16-2010, 02:36 PM
7 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Silverback
Normalized it's not significantly stronger, typically less than 3% difference and their accepted strength ranges overlap, so comparing identical pieces of 1018 and 4130 it is possible for either to test stronger.

Secondly, 4130 self quenches when welding resulting a brittle HAZ around the welds which will tend to crack on impact. It's a stupid rule that I've never heard anyone give a good reason for (if someone knows of one I'd love to hear it). Other sanctioning bodies (for example NASCAR) completely outlaw the use of chromemoly in safety cages/anywhere in the vicinity of the driver. Typcally they're mild steel and MIG welded, another thing I don't get, why do they require TIG welds for "faster" cages? Done correctly, the MIG can be done 3-5x faster, putting less total heat into the metal and still getting complete penetration. Yes, TIG can be more precise, but we're talking about relatively heavy pipe joints, if you can't get precise enough MIG joints on the stuff you shouldn't be doing any kind of welding on anything safety related, period. OTOH, I wouldn't be surprised if someone took a random sample of the TIG welds in roll cages and found that >75% of them either overheated the metal or were just superficially good looking but not structurally sound.
the problem is you make too much sense and we want to pay $15k+ for our chassis... lol.. me and my friends have discussed this many times.... its not the welding process thats the problem... its the weldor. some people would be real dissapointed to find that many of the cages that were suposed to be tig'd were in fact mig'd and didnt even know it... a skilled weldor > process
Old 02-16-2010, 06:26 PM
TJ
TECH Junkie

my exhaust guy can throw a mig weld down that looks like a row of nickels.
there are too many damn rules is what it is.
moly can crack at the weld.
some chassis guys wont weld until they heat the pipe up within a given percentage between the pipe and the heat of the torch.
Old 06-02-2010, 12:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ty_ty13
the problem is you make too much sense and we want to pay $15k+ for our chassis... lol.. me and my friends have discussed this many times.... its not the welding process thats the problem... its the weldor. some people would be real dissapointed to find that many of the cages that were suposed to be tig'd were in fact mig'd and didnt even know it... a skilled weldor > process
That raises another question that I've considered... I've seriously considered MIGing a cage and trying to pass it off as TIG before (long story for the reason, I do own a TIG so it's not that I couldn't do it), but have wondered if the average tech inspector would figure it out.

I've put down some pretty MIG welds before, but this is one of the few close ups that I have and it's the worst possible combination of conditions, flux core (not cleaned off yet) welding cast to mild steel (in other words, roll cage tubing welds would be much easier to make much better looking, even wire brushing/polishing that up a little bit would make it look better):
Attached Thumbnails Going from 8 point roll bar to 10 point roll cage-exhaustmanifolds_04-06-26_11s.jpg  
Old 06-02-2010, 05:55 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Silverback
That raises another question that I've considered... I've seriously considered MIGing a cage and trying to pass it off as TIG before (long story for the reason, I do own a TIG so it's not that I couldn't do it), but have wondered if the average tech inspector would figure it out.

I've put down some pretty MIG welds before, but this is one of the few close ups that I have and it's the worst possible combination of conditions, flux core (not cleaned off yet) welding cast to mild steel (in other words, roll cage tubing welds would be much easier to make much better looking, even wire brushing/polishing that up a little bit would make it look better):
Although that looks nice, especially for the conditions you mentioned, it looks nothing like a TIG weld to me. It looks more like it was stitched with a MIG.... If a rollcage certifier couldn't figure that one out, he has no business certing cages IMO.

Mike
Old 06-02-2010, 11:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well, it's not really stitched mig... it's a continuous weld (well, 3 of them to prevent cracking with the cast, you can see where the individual weld beads overlapped in 2 places). (the only reason that is important to me because I can't stand the deal that some "fabrication" shops are doing with stacking spot welds done with a mig to make them look neat, really only creating a stress riser/inclusion at every single spot)

Although I agree with what you said about it's appearance otherwise, I'm not sure that would be the case steel on steel, shielded MIG and a little bit of clean up with a wire wheel/scotchbright wheel (get rid of any signs of unevenness or spattering) and then painted, I'm not sure that it would look that different.

Oh, and before you say it, I know that it would look wrong to me and I would spot it from a mile away, but a lot of people that act like they know can't seem to tell even if I'm not trying, and I've seen a lot of total junk that doesn't meet the rules get certified/pass tech, which is what makes me wonder about it.

Quick Reply: Going from 8 point roll bar to 10 point roll cage