Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cage in a street car

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 08:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Cage in a street car

I want to put a cage in my new car. If I have a 10point cage how safe is that? What are the odds of my head hitting the upper bars? I'm more concerned with my wife. Side bars will be out, main hoop will be moved back a little or tipped back.

What will insurance say if I was to get into a wreck? LOL a 10 point might be a little odd.

WIth a 10 point is it legal to have side bar removiable? I know a 6 its okay. Do the side bars have to be bent to close the doors with door panels still on? Look at the Jegs 10 point cages.

If I convert from a 6 to a 10 do the side bars and front bars have to welded together? If you get a 6 they go to the floor plate rather than the front bars how do you connect them latter mount the 10 to the plate?
Old 12-20-2009, 12:40 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Door bars with a 10 pt can be removable, and they have to be bent to fit around the door panels. The door bars get cut off and redone if you convert from a 6 to a 10, or if the guy does it right, he can weld on top of the meeting point on the plate, depends on how the guy does it.

The main hoop can not be leaned back, it must be strait up and down, you will hit your head on the upper halo/bars, padding all of this area is a must.

You can drive on the street with it, but make sure you're buckeled in tight at all times, 5 pt belts aren't legal on the street so don't hook in with those you have to leave the stock belts and the 5 pt's in place.

Your backseat, is 100% unusable once the 6 or 10 pt goes in as well.

Insurance, will most likly not like it should you end up in a crash, and if you hit your head and get hurt due to the cage, you may, or may not find them wanting to pay at that point.

It's a risk you take when caging a street car, but I'd much rather see people take this risk then go to the track and get kicked out, or worse wreck at the track without the safety stuff in place.

Not sure what part of NY you're in, but I can get you in touch with a good fab guy in CT if you need one.
Old 12-20-2009, 05:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I do all my own work, but thanks for the offer. Near rochester/buffalo.

I think im going to do a 6 and remove the sides when its on the street. If I go 10 its trailer time.

What are the rules for the hieght of the side bar and the middle bar on the main hoop? Shoulder high or lower saw it some place but didnt notice it in the sticky.

Thanks for the help.
Old 12-20-2009, 06:37 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,099 Likes on 721 Posts

Yeah for a 6 pt you can do a removable side bar for the passenger side. I think a 10 pt is a little rough for a passenger unless they are into the race aspect of the car.

I've never bumped my head on the 10 pt except when I was wearing a helmet.
Old 12-20-2009, 07:25 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If your insurance company finds out they will more than likely cancel your policy. They look at it as a race car at that point (no matter how many mounting points you have) and see a drastic increase in the possibility of a accident. A friend had a 6 point bar in his Mustang and wrecked due to a deer collision. His insurance company paid for the damage then dropped him because the adjuster noted the roll bar. Just don't mention it to them and you should be fine. I have street driven my car for 4 years with the roll bar and they have never asked to look at the car.
Old 12-20-2009, 08:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

With a 6 can I slide the hoop back to keep my head away? Im about 6ft tall, with stock seats. Just want to be safe would hate to crack my head or my wifes in a fenderbender.
Jay
Old 12-20-2009, 08:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

get some better seats with tall headrest. thats what I did.
Old 12-20-2009, 09:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

I forget how far, but your head can only be so many inches away from your rollbar. Just look at it like this, yes it could be a big problem in an accident. You have to figure out if you want to risk yours or anothers safety.
Old 12-21-2009, 05:20 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

go with a 6 with removal side bars.. 10 point is not really beneficial unless you have a full on track machine
Old 12-21-2009, 08:31 AM
Internet Mechanic

I am with JL on this.

IMO a good fab guy can mold the cage around you and to be honest, if your spending time in the car, i.e. Street use, you better like driving in the car. So if something is a big pain point, get it fixed before it become a major issues. Removeable bars is a MUST IMO.
Old 12-21-2009, 08:59 AM
Race your car!

See I don't like the removable bars, especially on a 6 pt. You open the door and open the door bar, and lean on that thing you'll rip the floor right around the plate I guarintee it. Now on a 10 pt, the door bar will be attached to the front down bar, which is attached to the plate. This you won't have to worry about as much... still could bend the piece the doorbar attaches to, not likly though.
Old 12-21-2009, 09:45 AM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
See I don't like the removable bars, especially on a 6 pt. You open the door and open the door bar, and lean on that thing you'll rip the floor right around the plate I guarintee it. Now on a 10 pt, the door bar will be attached to the front down bar, which is attached to the plate. This you won't have to worry about as much... still could bend the piece the doorbar attaches to, not likly though.
Yea, we have had that conversation before but I think if your putting real street time into it, the bars are out until you hit the track and if worse comes to worse, can we just do some sorta Zip tie deal where the bar sticks to the door and when the pin comes out the follows the door.

I wonder if in a 10 point, would they allow a swivel at the front point of the cage just like it has it near the main hoop past the driver's shoulder so when its not a track day, will it make it not unbearable.
Old 12-21-2009, 10:55 AM
Race your car!

Yes the swivel is allowed on a 10 pt, how else would you be able to put a swingout in a 10 pt car?

You need a wolfe door panel and put the bar right up on the door, if you're gonna put a cage in your car, just so you have the room.
Old 12-21-2009, 11:02 AM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
Yes the swivel is allowed on a 10 pt, how else would you be able to put a swingout in a 10 pt car?

You need a wolfe door panel and put the bar right up on the door, if you're gonna put a cage in your car, just so you have the room.
When it comes to 10 pts I did not know if removeable bars are still allows for that ET and the majority of 10 points I have seen were non removeable.

I think your right about the door bar/panel issue, unfortunately I do like the interior of the car.
Old 12-21-2009, 11:09 AM
Race your car!

Put a wolfe panel in and have an upholestry guy just cover them. That would get you a good bit more room.

10 pt with swingouts is fine, you can do that with any 8.50 cert. Try to get to a 7.50 cert, and now it's not legal anymore.
Old 12-21-2009, 11:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Im a big guy, 6ft and about 260 im not fat though. So room is some what of an issue, the bars will be removed when not at the track, if its a little tight I can deal with it when racing. The bend would be below my shoulder and arm, rib area so not so noticable. Wish I could sit in one localy.

In all seriousness if Im buckled in tight how would I hit the bars that are tight to the body any way? The hoop is out of reach and the one above my shoulder should be to. Seems like it would have to be one hard as crash to hit them, they may have to bend to contact me or am I talking out my ***?

Its a 6 speed that will have a built 41X in it so 9's maybe there.
Old 12-22-2009, 09:46 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,099 Likes on 721 Posts

OP, the issue is the bar on the left side of your head. That one could end up 4-5 inches from your noggin. The front bar is not an issue.

Now I like driving around with a 10 pt because it makes me feel like a badass. But I would not have my wife drive around in the car with me unless we were going to a car show. I don't want her to bump her head y'see.
Old 12-22-2009, 05:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So what your saying is I should get rid of my wife. Got it
Old 12-22-2009, 05:26 PM
11 Second Club

i have state farm and asked them about my 6 point i already had and they said it was no problem with them.
Old 12-23-2009, 08:17 PM
7 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you need further clarification on bar locations, check out the "What do I need, NHRA tech/rules" thread in the sticky section.

My Nova got an upgrade from a 5-point bar to a 10-point cage, and it is definately a different driving experience. But I still pilot the car on the street a couple times a week, and wear my 5-point most of the time.

As I've said before, if you plan on hitting the single digits just do the cage work now instead of in sections. Makes it easier IMHO.

Derek

Quick Reply: Cage in a street car