Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motor plates and mid plates question

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 09:42 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cool, I haven't ordered my convertor yet, so I guess I need to figure out now if im going to set the car up for plates instead of factory mounts with poly inserts.

Let me ask you, this car is a strip car, maybe driven 4-5 days a month to the local spot on the street. Would you plate the car since I have it all apart race prepping it? Im sure you can achieve a weight savings over the heavy factory mounts and make the car more consistant and predictable by eliminating motor movement.
Old 01-07-2010, 10:32 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

913 I'd plate it and call it a day.

Ray, you don't have to put a mid plate in if you don't want to. If you're on a glide with an aftermarket case, I'd put it on with a solid tranny mount and it will be fine. I'm just running the motor plate, no mid plate with a stock Th400 case, poly tranny mount, but I ran a torsional support off the ac mounting points to the frame rail.

You might not be able to put it there due to the turbo piping, but if you can put a lateral support you can run the front plate only with no problems. Once you have a plate on, ditch the stock motor mounts. You'll gain so much clearance in the car with them gone that you'll wonder why you didn't do it in the first place. I can drop the 1. 7/8 stepped to 2 inch headers in and out easier then the stock manafolds go in and out on a stock car.

Quick Reply: Motor plates and mid plates question