Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

twistin problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 12:19 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

That car has had frame connectors on it from day one... but they are bolt on ones, not welded ones.

That being said... I wouldn't bolt them in and trust that to stop all the flex.
Old 01-15-2010, 01:23 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I recall, if the car had siginifgant force applied , bolt holes can round out.
Old 01-15-2010, 02:48 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
I have personally seen a car when put on jackstands, being it a level floor, actually teetering where we thought it was unsafe. We had to shim it before working on it.

Permanent Chassis Flex FTL!!

I put on SFC's (finally) and a UMI Drag Bar and the car responded very well. I hope to get a good picture of a hit off the line and see the diff!
Thanks for choosing UMI Performance I am sure you will not be disappointed in the performance outcome of the product. Keep us posted......
Thanks
Brad
Old 01-15-2010, 06:18 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Old Geezer
Installing connectors, etc, on a bent chassis = connectors installed incorrectly....
I'd suggest you have the chassis straightened on a frame machine, then install your parts.
Locking a twist in a chassis, then trying to tune it, is like a "monkey phuckin a football". Nothing good will come of it.
Furthermore, if you are making enuf power to twist it, it needs a 6 pt rollbar, at minimum. Frame connectors will help, as will an antiroll bar. The 6 pt will really tighten things up, and make the car much easier to drive/tune.

BTDT...The Buick in the sig had bags, stock rear sway, 6 pt. Still was a "handful" @140. I added the HR PARTS antiroll, ditched the bags, and the stock rear sway.. Whole new car!
But then, it is "only" a 6 banger...
thanks for the advice. I will get the frame checked before the sfc are installed. The car also does not have a roll bar. I am installing one in the nest couple of months tho. Currently the car is apart for a new build. So i want to address all the problems and roll cage while its apar.
Old 01-15-2010, 06:20 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
OP: is the car actually twisting, or is it just rolling over? Old Geezer brings up a good point, you need to make sure the chassis is strait too, before welding anything in.

I'm hoping you have frame connectors and whatnot on the car already so that there's no issues there, and I'm hoping that there's already the needed safety stuff in the car, and that you problem is just suspension related.
What do you mean by rolling. No i do not have the sfc on or a roll cage. But i am working on all that now
Old 01-15-2010, 09:17 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by KCFormula
Sorry if this is off topic but what tire is on the back of your car?!?

JL ws-6 is correct.

It's a Hoosier 315/35/17.
Old 01-15-2010, 09:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I installed sfcs when my car was completely stock. Even then I noticed a huge difference. The car would pick the whole front up slightly and not jump to the passenger side when I shifted it.

Also, I bought the bolt on ones, installed them, didn't think it made any difference, so then I had them welded in and HUGE difference. Get the welded sfcs, don't make my mistake!