Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing excess wiring

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 10:09 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, would it work to just not cut ANY of the grounding wires out then? Play it safe?
Old 01-22-2010, 10:22 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

There's ground wires you can remove, there commonly hooked to a single ground ring that's attached to the crossbar that goes across the bottom of the dash.

Remove them, because if one gets near a live wire it can cause a short. Remove every wire that you can.
Old 01-23-2010, 06:53 AM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Does anyone have a rough estimate on actual weight savings? I am just wondering if I want to waste time to save only X amount of weight.
Old 01-23-2010, 11:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your not going to save alot, I wouldnt do this mod and expect quicker ETs. However if you save a little here and do a couple other mods that only save a little it will add up in the end. Im going to start this on my 98 Z28 once I get it running. That way I can be sure that any problems are not caused by something else.
Old 01-23-2010, 12:27 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by MUSTANGBRKR02
Does anyone have a rough estimate on actual weight savings? I am just wondering if I want to waste time to save only X amount of weight.
I only saved a couple pounds, but every pound counts. This definately isn't something I'd tear your car apart to do. I just did it because I have the seats, carpet, and all interior panels outta the car right now while I'm working on other weight reduction plans.
Old 01-23-2010, 12:59 PM
TECH Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

subscribing........i am in the process of doing mine right now and have a couple of questions pertaining to the thread. is the bcm the box under the dash just above the steering colum? also, i have read that eliminating the cigarette lighter will cause problems with the diagnostic port under the dash. is this true? can i safely remove the wires wrapped in yellow tape labeled sir circut? i mainly just want to avoid any problems with the little anti theft chip in the key causing my car not to start. thank for any help. great thread
Old 01-24-2010, 01:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by nickp
subscribing........i am in the process of doing mine right now and have a couple of questions pertaining to the thread. is the bcm the box under the dash just above the steering colum? also, i have read that eliminating the cigarette lighter will cause problems with the diagnostic port under the dash. is this true? can i safely remove the wires wrapped in yellow tape labeled sir circut? i mainly just want to avoid any problems with the little anti theft chip in the key causing my car not to start. thank for any help. great thread
we'd need a wiring diagram to be sure, but i'd think they're just protected by the same fuse.

doing stuff like this isnt easy, but it makes things cleaner, simpler, easier to work on.

im compleatly redoing my entire harness from scratch. it actually makes things easier to do it this way, but only if you're willing to significantly simplify the car.

Quick Reply: Removing excess wiring