Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

has anyone removed this stuff to save weight see pic

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 08:20 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check out the very first item listed in the below thread. I did verify it as well just over 7lbs per side. Dont get me wrong i'd like the 12 pound figure better LOL.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/6719167-post1.html
Old 01-31-2010, 10:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I weighed mine, they are 7lbs each.
Old 01-31-2010, 10:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

you guys street drive your cars without the door bars? I havn't had my door panels off to look at how the doors are, but with the low wolfe door bars I don't think there gona help that much for my armtaking a T bone, and the other car getting right to me.
the doors are fiberglass right?
Old 01-31-2010, 10:42 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by studderin
you guys street drive your cars without the door bars? I havn't had my door panels off to look at how the doors are, but with the low wolfe door bars I don't think there gona help that much for my armtaking a T bone, and the other car getting right to me.
yes, i streetdrive my car, ill admit. but maybe once a month before it was apart for winter season. it hasnt seen any driving since October

i wouldnt think the wolfe door bars would help all that much either considering they are lower and closer to the middle of the car

the doors are fiberglass
Old 02-01-2010, 01:05 PM
Banned Village Idiot LS1BLKSS

how are you guys removing those bars, i was checking out this weekend and it looks like a bitch, i can cut the bar very carfully then stick my hand in there and try to remove the bolts... how do you guys do it?
Old 02-01-2010, 02:09 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

You need a special tool that alot of guys make to get to the bolts, camaro door is alot worse then the firebird doors are. You can, pop the wire gormmit out and get it out thru the wheel well if you want, but that's a pita. I'd get it unbolted, then pull it out towards you, move it around whatever you have to do, then just cut it CAREFULLY and take it out in 2 pieces. Use something like a really small cutoff wheel, or a dremel... use a sawzall and I guarintee that you pop a nice hole thru the door from the blade.
Old 02-01-2010, 04:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ya theres a good write up, The camaro door is smaller. I see guys buying a low head socket or just grinding one down some its shorter, and welding it to some thin x 1 1 1/4 wide steel bar to fit in the door. I have a pic saved of the tool on my home computer I can post later.
Old 02-01-2010, 06:22 PM
12 Second Club

i just grinded the backside of the bolts (where the nuts are welded to the brackets) and used a holesaw to the lowest corner of the door and slid the bar out one piece
Old 02-01-2010, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by nemss1
i just grinded the backside of the bolts (where the nuts are welded to the brackets) and used a holesaw to the lowest corner of the door and slid the bar out one piece
how big of a hole and do you have a pic of where you did it
Old 02-01-2010, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
You need a special tool that alot of guys make to get to the bolts, camaro door is alot worse then the firebird doors are. You can, pop the wire gormmit out and get it out thru the wheel well if you want, but that's a pita. I'd get it unbolted, then pull it out towards you, move it around whatever you have to do, then just cut it CAREFULLY and take it out in 2 pieces. Use something like a really small cutoff wheel, or a dremel... use a sawzall and I guarintee that you pop a nice hole thru the door from the blade.
sounds like a bitch!!! i'll get it out tho thanx man!
Old 02-01-2010, 07:09 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by BLK:UFO
how big of a hole and do you have a pic of where you did it
ill get a pic tomorrow when its light out. i used a 1.5" diameter holesaw bit or whatever those things are called

also, removing the door speakers give more room for your hand and a grinder to grind the backsides of the bolt/nut. there was a small hole i used to look thru as i grinded them.

ill get pics of that too since my door panels are still off
Old 02-01-2010, 07:37 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by studderin
stock f-body doors are smc not glass.mine are carbon fiber.
Old 02-01-2010, 09:26 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^ SMC is correct.

The easiest way to get the door bars out is to cut the brackets that hold them in and then cut the bar in half to get it out of the door. You will lose around an extra 4 lbs and not have to cut a visible hole in your door.
Old 02-01-2010, 09:49 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Beaflag VonRathburg
^ SMC is correct.

The easiest way to get the door bars out is to cut the brackets that hold them in and then cut the bar in half to get it out of the door. You will lose around an extra 4 lbs and not have to cut a visible hole in your door.
ya thats right, they are SMC. i wasnt so much worried about the hole. its on the lowest corner and not visible and is clean cut. my brackets are still in the doors but will be cut out when the weather is warmer here
Old 02-02-2010, 01:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

I used a set from harbor freight the uses a 17mm rathet on the backside of the bolt to make it thinner, I ground down the socket a bit, broke the bolts loose, the used a cheap cut off 17mm wrench to turn the bolts the rest of the way. To get it out I moved the grommet, didnt remove the wiring, and slid the bar out the front of the door. It was rediculously easy,and cleaner and quicker that either cutting the bar or cutting a hole in the door.

Heres a pic of the drivers side door bar being slid out of the wiring harness hole. Just remove the inner front fender, close the door, climb in the other side and slide the bar out, then climb out and pull it the rest of the way.

Last edited by MrElectric03; 02-02-2010 at 08:13 PM.
Old 02-02-2010, 06:10 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I hate the hole in the door. That to me is just 1/2 *** and looks like ****.
Old 02-02-2010, 08:45 AM
12 Second Club

here are some pics of the door. i had no prob cutting the hole and was careful doing it so i wouldnt mess anything doing it. i even did measurements to get my holes on both doors in the exact spot. save a few ounces cutting the holes

the factory holes you see are the ones i looked thru while ginding the backside of the bolt/nut. was a PITA to see what i was doing but i took my time and was cautious and everything came out perfect
Old 02-02-2010, 01:33 PM
10 Second Club

I didn't have to use any special tools. It was a little bit of a pain in the butt, you should be able to get them both out in less then hour.
Old 02-03-2010, 06:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nemss1
here are some pics of the door. i had no prob cutting the hole and was careful doing it so i wouldnt mess anything doing it. i even did measurements to get my holes on both doors in the exact spot. save a few ounces cutting the holes

the factory holes you see are the ones i looked thru while ginding the backside of the bolt/nut. was a PITA to see what i was doing but i took my time and was cautious and everything came out perfect
Lol i did the same and then got some of the red reflector tape and put over it.

Quick Reply: has anyone removed this stuff to save weight see pic