Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

8" vs 10" wide drag wheel

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2010 | 06:48 AM
Internet Mechanic

My busted Tru Trac acts like a spool now. I'm not skeeerd.
Old 02-05-2010 | 06:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well **** I might run a spool. I was told by a buddy that works with me that a good drag radial would be better than bias ply tires since I have an auto, not to sure how true that is. But would a spool be a bad idea with a m/t drag radial? Will that tear up your tires running a spool on the street?
Old 02-05-2010 | 07:49 AM
Race your car!
20 Year Member

Spool is going to cause more wear absolutely. That's why I'd suggest something like a nitto for street use, and the slick for the track.

Slick at the track, if the track prep is iffy, will let ya still make sucessful runs, whereas a radial won't be so forgiving.

If your track preps like mad then yes the radial with an auto will work, suspension setup is still going to be critical, moreso then it would be with the slick.
Old 02-05-2010 | 09:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
Spool is going to cause more wear absolutely. That's why I'd suggest something like a nitto for street use, and the slick for the track.

Slick at the track, if the track prep is iffy, will let ya still make sucessful runs, whereas a radial won't be so forgiving.

If your track preps like mad then yes the radial with an auto will work, suspension setup is still going to be critical, moreso then it would be with the slick.
so what would you recommend for a tire, m/t street or m/t drag?
Old 02-05-2010 | 10:13 AM
11 Second Club

You will be fine with mt drag radials..I've had a set before I put my hoosiers on and they are alot better. I also run a spool in my 12 bolt I got from RPM...I am running nittos on my ZR1's have not noticed them wearing any faster than they did before the spool.
Old 02-05-2010 | 11:16 AM
Race your car!
20 Year Member

M/t ET drag, and be done with it. You can "try" the radials, and they may work, they may not, but the et drag, will almost ALWAYS work, making the % of successful runs a whole bunch higher.
Old 02-05-2010 | 11:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

I'd put the 10 inch wheel on the car... this will give you more room to grow a little bit, and the wider wheel helps increase the contact patch.
Nope, tire width does not affect contact patch size, air pressure and weight on the tire affect it. one of the most common myths about tires is a wider one has more traction, when in reality tire height helps more. imagine two balloons one wide and one narrow, both balloons have the same PSI in them and the same weight pressing down on them, if you was able to look up at them threw a glass table you would see that they both have the exact same "surface area or contact patch" however the shape of the patch would be different. In the end the tires compound and PSI in the tire and weight on the tire are all that affect traction.
Old 02-05-2010 | 11:49 AM
Race your car!
20 Year Member

you sir, are wrong.

You take the same amount of weight and psi in 2 tires one is on a wider rim then the other and you will increase the contact patch. Increasing the height will increase the cntact patch as well, by making the patch longer.

Going to a 10 inch rim with the same tire vs a 8 inch rim will help flatten the contact patch out, if the section width is wide enough to put that same tire (let's say a 28x10.5x15S et drag for example) on a 12 inch rim, you will further flatten the contact patch out

That's why the outlaw 10.5 cars are running a 16 inch wide rim now, the tire carcass is about 15 inches wide, tread is 10, and the wider rim helps keep the tire's actual tread surface as flat on the track as possible.
Old 02-05-2010 | 02:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by outtacontrolz28
You will be fine with mt drag radials..I've had a set before I put my hoosiers on and they are alot better. I also run a spool in my 12 bolt I got from RPM...I am running nittos on my ZR1's have not noticed them wearing any faster than they did before the spool.
so do you drive your car much on the street? how do you like/dislike the spool on the street?

M/t ET drag, and be done with it. You can "try" the radials, and they may work, they may not, but the et drag, will almost ALWAYS work, making the % of successful runs a whole bunch higher.
Cool, 28x9 m/t et drags then! Thanks for all the help and advise!
Old 02-05-2010 | 07:49 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by second_2_none
so do you drive your car much on the street? how do you like/dislike the spool on the street?

Cool, 28x9 m/t et drags then! Thanks for all the help and advise!
I drive it quite abit..I drive it to the track 45 min one way, then back afterwards. Its not my DD so it usually sees 3-4 days a week. Spool will take some getting used to, but its well worth it when you go to the track. I'm overall really satisfied with my rear and spool.
Old 02-06-2010 | 06:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I drive it quite abit..I drive it to the track 45 min one way, then back afterwards. Its not my DD so it usually sees 3-4 days a week. Spool will take some getting used to, but its well worth it when you go to the track. I'm overall really satisfied with my rear and spool.
Yeah thats about how much I'm going to be driving my car if I can ever get off this deployment lol. Did you get your new rear end without abs/tcs?
Old 02-06-2010 | 11:00 AM
11 Second Club

Yeah thats about how much I'm going to be driving my car if I can ever get off this deployment lol. Did you get your new rear end without abs/tcs?
I hear you..I'm going to deploy again here before long again...Yea, I got it without abs/tcs since I am doing a manual brake setup. RPM will get you one hell of a deal on one.
Old 02-06-2010 | 07:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I hear you..I'm going to deploy again here before long again...Yea, I got it without abs/tcs since I am doing a manual brake setup. RPM will get you one hell of a deal on one.
I didnt know you were in the service, what branch are you? Yeah I'll have to shoot Jason an email just to see how much I can get one for. I am pretty much set on ordering a midwest chassis fab 9" and suspion, I'm just debating on a 3:70 or 3:89 gear and how tall of a tire to run.
Old 02-06-2010 | 07:47 PM
11 Second Club

I didnt know you were in the service, what branch are you? Yeah I'll have to shoot Jason an email just to see how much I can get one for. I am pretty much set on ordering a midwest chassis fab 9" and suspion, I'm just debating on a 3:70 or 3:89 gear and how tall of a tire to run.

Yea, I'm in the Marines. I would look into running 3.73s with a 28" tall tire if you plan on spraying. I'm ordering the MT 275-60/15 drag radials http://www.jegs.com/i/Mickey-Thompso...oductId=753925
Old 02-06-2010 | 09:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yea, I'm in the Marines. I would look into running 3.73s with a 28" tall tire if you plan on spraying. I'm ordering the MT 275-60/15 drag radials http://www.jegs.com/i/Mickey-Thompso...oductId=753925
Nice, we are working w/the marines right now, probably the same place you will be going to. Yeah I think I'm going to do a 28x9 m/t et drag like JL ws-6 suggested just cause I am going to be spraying off the line. How hard was it for you to fit a 28" tire on your car, or did it go right in? I hear with some it will go in no problem and others have to beat in there fender well.
Old 02-06-2010 | 09:58 PM
11 Second Club

Nice, we are working w/the marines right now, probably the same place you will be going to. Yeah I think I'm going to do a 28x9 m/t et drag like JL ws-6 suggested just cause I am going to be spraying off the line. How hard was it for you to fit a 28" tire on your car, or did it go right in? I hear with some it will go in no problem and others have to beat in there fender well.

They will go right on..my car is at stock height, so I dont have much clearence issues. I plan on spraying a small shot out of the hole then another hit a lil further out.

Where are you at out there?
Old 02-06-2010 | 10:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

They will go right on..my car is at stock height, so I dont have much clearence issues. I plan on spraying a small shot out of the hole then another hit a lil further out.

Where are you at out there?
Im in southern afghan.
I'm going to do something similar with my set up. I ordered a single stage plate kit, but I also ordered a progressive controller. I have to experiement with it and try to get my adj suspension all dialed in but i was going to start out with 60% for
.5 sec then go to the full 150-200, then adjust it from there.

Last edited by second_2_none; 02-07-2010 at 05:48 AM.
Old 02-06-2010 | 10:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

I am the minority... I am running on a 26" as long as I possibly can. Reason being is I LOVE my 60'. With a 28" tire I doubt I could hit a 1.4X on motor. I run 1/8 mile only so I'm not worried about going any faster than 110mph or so right now.

I have a 26X10 right now and I am going to dead hook, even on the 175 hit. That will be a solid 1.3X short time. I was cutting 1.50-1.52s in the heat without a tune (16" chrome stockers up front). With the skinnies and tune in bit better weather I think 1.47s are very attainable. I doubt I could do it with a 28".

A 26" will take me VERY far... Suspension is a must of course, which I have, but a full slick in that size is going to take me a long way. I run the smallest tire possible while still being able to dead hook.

Any of you tire gurus disagree? I probably have the least knowledge in playing with tire size to help ET/60' times... Any input/advice appreciated.
Old 02-07-2010 | 04:51 PM
Race your car!
20 Year Member

That is completely irrevelant with a bias ply tire that gets distorted like mad at the hit, try again.
Old 02-08-2010 | 11:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Interesting...

Quick Reply: 8" vs 10" wide drag wheel