Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lightweight Camaro Hatch ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 03:24 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lightweight Camaro Hatch ?

I have a question maybe someone can answer. Does anyone make a lightweight Carbon or Fiberglass Hatch that bolts-on and uses the OE hinges like a stock one. I'm looking to just take weight out where I can. I will be doing the Percy's glass and was not sure if their is anything out their. I have seen the Hatch that Chasers makes but they can't tell me if it is less then stock. I would even be happy with 5+ lbs lighter.

What does the stock hatch without glass in it?
Also What does the OE Z28 wing weigh?

I had someone I know quote me on doing it in Prepreg Carbon fiber and it would cost $1800 and weigh about 6 lbs with no glass or wing. It would be $800 for the OE style wing and would be about 2 1/2 lbs .The whole set up with wing and no glass should be well under 10lbs. So I'm just looking into options. Thanks Ed
Old 02-28-2010, 06:51 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Eddie Krawiec
I have a question maybe someone can answer. Does anyone make a lightweight Carbon or Fiberglass Hatch that bolts-on and uses the OE hinges like a stock one. I'm looking to just take weight out where I can. I will be doing the Percy's glass and was not sure if their is anything out their. I have seen the Hatch that Chasers makes but they can't tell me if it is less then stock. I would even be happy with 5+ lbs lighter.

What does the stock hatch without glass in it?
Also What does the OE Z28 wing weigh?

I had someone I know quote me on doing it in Prepreg Carbon fiber and it would cost $1800 and weigh about 6 lbs with no glass or wing. It would be $800 for the OE style wing and would be about 2 1/2 lbs .The whole set up with wing and no glass should be well under 10lbs. So I'm just looking into options. Thanks Ed
I know you drop about 30# with the speed glass in a stock hatch. If you want to keep it a bolt on hatch 5 pounds would probably be all you save. I don't know what a stock hatch weighs but it is made from SMC (fiberglass) and most of your hatch weight is in the glass. The small weight reduction wouldn't be worth having a hatch that doesn't fit as well as the factory one.
Old 02-28-2010, 07:30 PM
TECH Resident

We use a stock hatch and spoiler with aftermarket lexan and it isnt too bad, weight wise. I think its VFN that also makes a 1-piece hatch but i couldn't imagine there being much more than 5-8lbs of savings considering the work that goes into making an aftermarket hatch "fit." We choose to keep it simple.
Old 03-01-2010, 08:09 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

The VFN hatch is the only one I have seen, and that one does not use the factory hinges, it gets attached with Dzus fastners. They do fit decent and look pretty good, I've seen several cars, including one I've gone to the track with and been around a good bit.

The speedglass in the stock hatch will save you a good bit of weight, about 30 lbs... if you want to keep the hatch mounted with the hinges I'd go this route, that's about as light as I think you will get and still have good access to the trunk without spending a fortune to get someone to make one out of carbon.

Weight savings vs $, although I assume that the $ isn't as huge a deal in this case, I still look as what you're getting for your $ and if the gain is enough to justify the $ spent.
Old 03-01-2010, 11:40 AM
Launching!

Thanks Guys

Money is always a issue. You can never have enough!! I only wish that was my case.

Your right it has to be worth whatever you spend and I just don't think 5-8 lbs is worth $2500+ at this point. When it is needed and that is the last option then I will look at it as a good investment.
Old 03-01-2010, 11:46 AM
Man-Crush Warning

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd go with a speedglass rear window, I plan on ordering one today. $400 for a 30lb reduction in weight sounds good to me.
Old 03-01-2010, 12:01 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Thanks Guys

Money is always a issue. You can never have enough!! I only wish that was my case.

Your right it has to be worth whatever you spend and I just don't think 5-8 lbs is worth $2500+ at this point. When it is needed and that is the last option then I will look at it as a good investment.

Right. Honestly, with what you're doing I think you can get the car light enough without having to go that route.

Depending on wether the block is iron or alum, you probably can get into the 3000 lb range with everything said and done. That's lighter then most of the classes I can think of will allow with a turbo setup, so I think you'll be good.

Just have to get inventive with the tubing, and what gets cut out. Way things are looking I should have my nitrous combo at abotu 2800 when I'm done with my 250 lbs in it. That's with a factoy hatch, speedglass front and rear, and alot of creative cutting and restructuring with small round bar
Old 03-06-2010, 07:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

u could call madman he's got those
Old 03-08-2010, 03:15 PM
10 Second Club

theres a company on e-bay that has carbon fiber hatches.. not sure on the weight but im sure its lighter than stock..
Old 03-09-2010, 07:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks Guys

Give me a call at the shop. I can get you a drop-in rear lexan window that is already blacked out around the edges. Our number is 225-673-3533.
Old 03-11-2010, 11:48 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have bolt-on fiberglass hatches from Glasstek that are real nice. obvious not the weight of carbon, but the package with a Percy's lexan will be good weight savings for the cost.
Old 03-11-2010, 11:54 AM
11 Second Club

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by mad_steve
Give me a call at the shop. I can get you a drop-in rear lexan window that is already blacked out around the edges. Our number is 225-673-3533.
got any pics? installed pics are even better.
Old 03-12-2010, 07:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by fucter
got any pics? installed pics are even better.
here is a picture of our rear lexan installed. I can also get the front lexan drop-ins.
Attached Thumbnails Lightweight Camaro Hatch ?-lexan1.jpg  
Old 03-12-2010, 11:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

I know the speedglass is not a good idea to DD with for the front windshield but how about for the back hatch? What about the lexan stuff? Just wondering if any of these weight savers are usable for the street and not just a track only car?
Old 03-15-2010, 07:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

You'll loose 30# with the lexan rear, (around the same for the front windshield) and the rear hatch that i'm getting now is only 7#. It's not a full sized hatch, meaning it doesn't reach all the way to the roof.
Old 03-15-2010, 11:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mad_steve
You'll loose 30# with the lexan rear, (around the same for the front windshield) and the rear hatch that i'm getting now is only 7#. It's not a full sized hatch, meaning it doesn't reach all the way to the roof.
Get some pics when you have the chance. Thanks
Old 03-15-2010, 03:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fb0dy0nly
Get some pics when you have the chance. Thanks
I just sold one to a customer in Florida. I'll get him to snap some pics of the installed product, then post them here.
Old 03-15-2010, 03:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Fb0dy0nly
I know the speedglass is not a good idea to DD with for the front windshield but how about for the back hatch? What about the lexan stuff? Just wondering if any of these weight savers are usable for the street and not just a track only car?
I second this. What about tinting the speedglass? Does it tint just like regular glass.
Old 03-15-2010, 05:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 87silverbullet
I second this. What about tinting the speedglass? Does it tint just like regular glass.
You can tint the speedglass, but I believe you need a special kind of tint. I'll check with Percy's and get back with you on that.
Old 03-15-2010, 08:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

heres mine, thats not glass. go to the dealer get a new gasket. looks great. glass doctor and 75bucks thats the deal
Attached Thumbnails Lightweight Camaro Hatch ?-98-trans-am-diet-109-1600x1200-.jpg  

Quick Reply: Lightweight Camaro Hatch ?