Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Trailer - What to add??

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 10:59 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yea theyve never been known to mess with pickups but its startin to happen more. not 100 percent sure on the specifics of the laws on weight. but after bein stopped by dot a few times at work (in a tractor trailer tho, not a pickup), im 150 percent sure ya dont wanna have to deal with them haha. you ask them how theyre doin today, and they talk back to ya like u told them to **** off or somethin.
Old 03-22-2010, 09:16 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
Explain what you did/had happen... you have sparked my interest.
Nothing happened to me. I have taken the precaution to register the duallie for 15K and the trailer for another 5k. I don't need the problems for a few hundred bucks per year. You catch a cop on a bad day and who knows what could happen.
As for you guys pulling with trucks with small brakes, you are crazy. It is always better to have more than you need because you will need it some day. I'm not risking the truck, the trailer, the car, or my friends lives. If you are light on brakes and crank up on the trailer brakes to make up for it you may get unluckly some day and have the trailer come around you. There is a reason people are scared of guys pulling trailers because a large amount of them have no idea what they are doing. People are generally stupid and this is magnified when they are pulling a trailer. Watch the people driving U-Hauls. They scare me the most.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:24 PM
TECH Junkie

I just picked up the paperwork for the trailer today, it's rated to 9990lbs. I'm going to look at a Sierra 2500HD tomorrow or Wednesday, with 4:11 gears, so that'll move that trailer out just fine.

If I get this truck, I'll ask at the registration office about the weight deal. Don't know if Ohio has anything.

Plus the track brings in so much money, the cops don't hassle.
Old 03-23-2010, 04:49 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by STOCK1090
Nothing happened to me. I have taken the precaution to register the duallie for 15K and the trailer for another 5k. I don't need the problems for a few hundred bucks per year. You catch a cop on a bad day and who knows what could happen.
As for you guys pulling with trucks with small brakes, you are crazy. It is always better to have more than you need because you will need it some day. I'm not risking the truck, the trailer, the car, or my friends lives. If you are light on brakes and crank up on the trailer brakes to make up for it you may get unluckly some day and have the trailer come around you. There is a reason people are scared of guys pulling trailers because a large amount of them have no idea what they are doing. People are generally stupid and this is magnified when they are pulling a trailer. Watch the people driving U-Hauls. They scare me the most.
I don't have an issue with brakes.. my 2500 HD cummins powered ram has PLENTY of brakes, biggest ones offered in teh industry, and I can tell you after test driving all of the big 3's offerings, this stopped the best. Power was comparable to the duramax, and I think both the duramax and cummins had a TON more power then ford's offerings (this is for the 2008 model year, as that's when I bought the truck and that's what was out)

Trailer has good brakes too, and I do use them, but not as a supplement. The exhaust brake does WONDERS as well, and with the tow/haul mode on it downshifts on it's own like mad and really does help alot when slowing the trailer.

I agree, a 24 foot trailer on a V6 truck for both the truck's power and braking ability is nuts, hence why I was saying to leave the trailer with the car at the track.
Old 03-23-2010, 05:32 AM
TECH Junkie

Going to look at a Sierra 2500HD today. Just the 6.0L, not the diesel, but still plenty of ***** and brakes I think.
Old 03-23-2010, 06:49 AM
Race your car!

Yes that will do, should be fine to get what you're looking at to the track and back.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:24 AM
TECH Junkie

4:11 gears also

wonder how much that'll ding the gas mileage LOL
Old 03-23-2010, 01:15 PM
Race your car!

Around town about 14, highway about 17 that's my guess. With the trailer on, plan on about 9 to 10. 11 if you're lucky.
Old 03-23-2010, 07:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Proud new owner of a Sierra 2500HD
Old 03-23-2010, 08:06 PM
On The Tree

I don't have an issue with brakes.. my 2500 HD cummins powered ram has PLENTY of brakes, biggest ones offered in teh industry, and I can tell you after test driving all of the big 3's offerings, this stopped the best. Power was comparable to the duramax, and I think both the duramax and cummins had a TON more power then ford's offerings (this is for the 2008 model year, as that's when I bought the truck and that's what was out)

Trailer has good brakes too, and I do use them, but not as a supplement. The exhaust brake does WONDERS as well, and with the tow/haul mode on it downshifts on it's own like mad and really does help alot when slowing the trailer.

I agree, a 24 foot trailer on a V6 truck for both the truck's power and braking ability is nuts, hence why I was saying to leave the trailer with the car at the track.
Please don't take me wrong I was not commenting on the brakes in your truck. Many of the 2500 HDs have really good big brake options. The bigger the better. Get more than you need and you never have an issue.

I walked through the trailer and added up the weight of the water, spare wheels and tires(both trailer and car), fuel, generator, TOOLS and tool chest, oil, jacks and stands, sprays, extra weight for the car, air compressor, die grider, welder, portable generator, ATV, coffee maker and microwave, winches, and spare parts. The total will surprise you. Ours is almost the weight of the car. Don't forget to add this in when doing your calculations. You may not have all of this crap now but this is the junk you will be asking your wife for, for Christmas.

I knew a guy who pulled almost 1000 miles with an open trailer and 3500 lb car with a small Blazer. He thought nothing of going 75MPH. I let him have a 1/2 hour head start. He can't hit me if he is ahead of me.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:19 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by MetallicaMatt
Going to look at a Sierra 2500HD today. Just the 6.0L, not the diesel, but still plenty of ***** and brakes I think.
i loved my 6.0. i pulled some heavy loads with it. liked it so much im puttin one in the 90 chevy i have now
Old 03-23-2010, 11:21 PM
9 Second Club

congrats on the truck. it will be a large step up from the old one for sure
Old 03-24-2010, 05:29 AM
TECH Junkie

Thanks guys!
Old 03-24-2010, 06:40 AM
Race your car!

Originally Posted by STOCK1090
Please don't take me wrong I was not commenting on the brakes in your truck. Many of the 2500 HDs have really good big brake options. The bigger the better. Get more than you need and you never have an issue.

I walked through the trailer and added up the weight of the water, spare wheels and tires(both trailer and car), fuel, generator, TOOLS and tool chest, oil, jacks and stands, sprays, extra weight for the car, air compressor, die grider, welder, portable generator, ATV, coffee maker and microwave, winches, and spare parts. The total will surprise you. Ours is almost the weight of the car. Don't forget to add this in when doing your calculations. You may not have all of this crap now but this is the junk you will be asking your wife for, for Christmas.

I knew a guy who pulled almost 1000 miles with an open trailer and 3500 lb car with a small Blazer. He thought nothing of going 75MPH. I let him have a 1/2 hour head start. He can't hit me if he is ahead of me.
No I hear ya. That's why I bought a trailer with 2 6000 lb axles. the trailer weigh's about 3000 (if I remember right), car will be about 3100 without me in it now that it's going FI, so that's 6100. I figure that the other stuff, will probably be around 2000 lbs, my pit bike isn't gonna weigh too much (it's a motorized bar stool LOL) and the tools won't be too bad, I'm not going as far as to bring a compressor, tracke usually have air and I have an airtank I bring with me. I will have a coffee pot LOL, spare tires I usually don't bring, trailer has a spare in the floor, with the 10 ply radials and the 16 inch rims, I don't think blowouts will be the concern they are with a little trailer rim/tire. These are BIG boys, like what a trailer truck has almost. All in all, I'm sure the trailer loaded will be about 8500 lbs, truck's rated to tow 9800, I'm 100% sure it can and probably do even more then that power wise, and the brakes I think are pretty good.

Matt, congrats on the truck. I don't know what you had for a daily driver, but I'm sure it's an upgrade. I'd still consider leaving the car/trailer at the track if you race alot though... believe me if the track was 5 to 10 miles from the track I'd leave mine there unless I break it and need to do more repairs then I can do there at the track.
Old 03-24-2010, 05:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Thanks!

I ended up doing a straight trade on the truck, traded in my 08 HHR SS...fun car, but I needed a truck.

I'll leave my trailer there when it's a points race weekend, you can do that. But if they don't have an event or something, you can't leave it out there during the week until the next T&T.

But if a points race is friday, I can go to T&T on Wed, leave it, race friday, and saturday
Old 03-24-2010, 05:57 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats!!! This thread makes me very very jealous!! **** all the threads in this section do!!
Old 03-24-2010, 09:51 PM
TECH Junkie

I'm jealous of myself! This all came about over the past 2 weeks.

My car has been torn apart for 4 years now, and I finally said "the hell with it" and just dove in! lol

I got lucky on the deal with the truck. Just a straight trade, and my payments went lower because it's a lower amount and I got a better rate.

The trailer, I had to take a loan for that. I spent more than I wanted, but I feel like I got twice as much trailer. I'll try and post pictures tomorrow night.

...Now I have to think about putting that car back together...hurm.... LOL
Old 03-24-2010, 11:18 PM
TECH Junkie

What are you guys using for flooring in your trailers? I have just a wooden floor, and figured I would just treat it with Thompsons weather stain.
Old 03-25-2010, 06:18 AM
Race your car!

I have the marble looking tile in mine. It's decent looking. I'm going to thompson's water seal the plywood that can be seen under my trailer this spring once I get some of the other projects I have going done, and probably will por-15 the entire underside, there's no rust on it yet, but I don't want it to start either.

Still need to find those trailer tire covers, ones that help stop the UV from ruining the tires. Anyone ever seen a place that sells those, like the ones for a camper or RV?
Old 03-25-2010, 06:45 AM
TECH Junkie

I have the marble looking tile in mine. It's decent looking. I'm going to thompson's water seal the plywood that can be seen under my trailer this spring once I get some of the other projects I have going done, and probably will por-15 the entire underside, there's no rust on it yet, but I don't want it to start either.

Still need to find those trailer tire covers, ones that help stop the UV from ruining the tires. Anyone ever seen a place that sells those, like the ones for a camper or RV?
without looking on their website, I'm sure this place has them

www.campingworld.com

When we had motorhomes and high/lows, we bought everything from them.