Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to switch from keyed start to a switch?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 05:49 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MrElectric03
That should tell you all you need to know. The Pink, Red, and Yellow wires are the ones you need to tap into. If you dont want the key to work the cut them going up the column. There are so many ways to wire this, there isnt going to be a diagram for every setup.

Im personally going to use two toggles. One simple on off (For the IGN, on will turn the ignition and everything else on and when turned off it will cut the ignition and the motor). The other toggle will be an off/momentary on (meaning you need to hold it in the on position and when you let go it springs back to off, this will be for the starter only).
when you tackle that would you mind if i came over and watched/helped? i really want to do this to my car and since you are local and know what your talking about id love to learn lol
Old 12-27-2010, 07:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im personally going to use two toggles. One simple on off (For the IGN, on will turn the ignition and everything else on and when turned off it will cut the ignition and the motor). The other toggle will be an off/momentary on (meaning you need to hold it in the on position and when you let go it springs back to off, this will be for the starter only).
I am doing the same as described above, but using the Nissan push start button as the momentary switch
Old 12-27-2010, 05:46 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, after reading this, help me alot.
Old 12-27-2010, 09:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by SS4Luck
when you tackle that would you mind if i came over and watched/helped? i really want to do this to my car and since you are local and know what your talking about id love to learn lol
Maybe a little while before I get to it but ill try to take some pics and make a wiring diagram. Im going to get my car started with the column just because ive removed alot of wiring and I want to be sure it starts without issue first, then ill wire in the switches. How soon are you planning on doing it?
Old 12-28-2010, 02:33 AM
11 Second Club

Maybe a little while before I get to it but ill try to take some pics and make a wiring diagram. Im going to get my car started with the column just because ive removed alot of wiring and I want to be sure it starts without issue first, then ill wire in the switches. How soon are you planning on doing it?

not anytime soon, or as soon as there is a solid writeup lol
Old 12-28-2010, 09:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

It doesn't take much to make the engine start and run with switches, by-passing the column altogether.

I don't recall the exact colors of the wires and assuming you've by-passed VATS, you need to supply 12V to the PCM, IGN, injector circuit and fuel pump. The only one of those wires not on the passenger side fender well is the fuel pump.

It runs down the left side of the car in that big flat plastic loom. There is a puple and gray wire. One is for the pump and one is the fuel sender.

Then engage a common relay to fire the starter.
Old 02-01-2011, 01:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

so after i ripped out the wiring, i need to build the ignition system from scratch. I will use an on/off rocker switch for priming the ignition (turn off all electrical systems) and a momentary switch to crank the starter. Does anyone have a diagram on how this is exactly run? I know my electrical systems will run by the on/off rocker but how do you get a (+) signal when the car is in RUN only?
Old 02-02-2011, 10:27 AM
TECH Addict

You would use the rocker switch like the ignition switch being turned to run. Then you would use the output side of the switch to grab power in run. This could be from a fuse box, etc. The momentary switch for the starter would just need to be a 12 volt source that needs to be hot in run and this would go to the solenoid on the starter.
Old 02-03-2011, 05:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

One simple on off (For the IGN, on will turn the ignition and everything else on and when turned off it will cut the ignition and the motor).
Understand the "on" part, but how does the "off" work?

Building the ignition system from scratch, I have:

battery to 16a fuse to on/off rocker switch, (+12) to momentary switch, (+12) to P/N safety switch (A4)/clutch start switch (M6), (+12) to starter solenoid (momentary side)

+12 battery to starter (constant side)

Also studied the ignition and charging diagram from the stock system and still not sure how it shuts off?

Last edited by InsaneAuto86; 02-03-2011 at 06:33 PM.
Old 02-04-2011, 09:26 AM
TECH Veteran

I actually posted this in the wrong thread lol. Here ya go I think this will work for ya. Here is quick wiring diagram I did. Everything isn't added of course but I think this may work. If you cut the power to PCM the engine will not run. So that switch is the one that cuts power to everything. As it powers up the next switch. Which also powers up the fuse block.

Old 02-05-2011, 11:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Is that how the stock ignition shuts the car off, cutting pwr to the pink ign wires? The diagram needs explanation.

Last edited by InsaneAuto86; 02-05-2011 at 09:15 PM.
Old 02-07-2011, 07:33 AM
TECH Veteran

I'm not exactly sure how the car shuts off, but in a round about way it's the same. The ignition switch supplies power to the fuse boxes therefor just shutting power off to it anyways. This rocker switch will do the same thing.

You just want to make sure the 2 wires going back to the pcm from the 1st switch are fused. The 2nd switch is the one that actually powers up the fuse block. But the 2nd switch is not hot until the 1st switch is actually turned on. So if you made a pass and wanted to shut the car off quick, just hit that first switch and she's off.

A relay will probably work a little better to power up the fuse block so it takes the load off the switch.
Old 02-14-2011, 06:52 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by InsaneAuto86
I am doing the same as described above, but using the Nissan push start button as the momentary switch
I used the Nissan button as well, fully function and works great, no keys what so ever.
Old 02-14-2011, 06:59 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by InsaneAuto86
so after i ripped out the wiring, i need to build the ignition system from scratch. I will use an on/off rocker switch for priming the ignition (turn off all electrical systems) and a momentary switch to crank the starter. Does anyone have a diagram on how this is exactly run? I know my electrical systems will run by the on/off rocker but how do you get a (+) signal when the car is in RUN only?
With the nissan button properly integrated into your car, it will be the only button you need to perform all of the functions, ie turning on the ignition, starting the engine, and turning the engine off again.
Old 02-15-2011, 06:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Boosted3rdGen
With the nissan button properly integrated into your car, it will be the only button you need to perform all of the functions, ie turning on the ignition, starting the engine, and turning the engine off again.
you still need something (RFID, on/off switch...) to turn "on" the push start/stop switch.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:47 AM
TECH Addict

In the newer cars that incorporate a push button for the ignition switch, they use the brake switch or clutch switch for starter enable. The switch power itself is most likely excited or turned on when the car is unlocked or the key fob is in range. That technology is really cool.
Old 03-02-2011, 03:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

One last question, should I fuse the power to the main on/off ignition switch or run it directly off the battery? Factory diagrams look like its directly off the battery. My on/off switch is 20a rated.

OR should I just use the on/off switch to trigger a relay which would supply power.

Last edited by InsaneAuto86; 03-02-2011 at 03:58 PM.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:31 AM
TECH Addict

The only things that aren't fused on our cars would be the starter wire and the alternator wire. Everything else passes through the fusible links.

Quick Reply: How to switch from keyed start to a switch?