Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radial rear with bias ply front tires?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 09:38 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radial rear with bias ply front tires?

First of all I should say that is a street/strip car. It's not a daily driver by any means, but it'll still be cruised on weekends. It'll probably see the track once a month, and it'll be street raced maybe weekly in addition to cruising.

It's a small cam car with some good suspension on it so I'm shooting for low 12s N/A and low 11s with a 150 shot of nitrous.

Now here's my question. I bought a set of Mickey Thompson drag radials for the rear and a set of MT Sportsmans for the front. The fronts are bias ply and the rears are radial.

I picked the MT fronts because of the 8 ply rating, just about everyone I talked to said they were some of the most heavy duty front tires for a drag car you can get, however it wasn't until after I already bought them that somebody said it's not a good idea to mix bias ply and radial tires.

After hearing that I did some research and it seems most people say bias ply rear with radial front is much more dangerous than bias front radial rear.

So should I run the bias fronts and the radial rear or sell the fronts and pick up some radials from a tire shop in town? I've already got somebody ready to buy the MT fronts I'm just not sure what I should do. I'm leaning towards selling the fronts and getting some radials just because I'm OCD and having two different tire types is messing with my chi lol, even if it's not a big danger.
Old 04-12-2010, 10:19 AM
10 Second Club

I was just having a conversation with a friend about this yesterday. I have Sportsman fonts and drag radials. I thought the Sporstman fronts were a radial. I was planning on getting some ET Drags and he said not to mix the 2 kinds. I have not had any problems with Sportmans/drag radials. So, is the Sportsman really a bias-ply tire?
Old 04-12-2010, 10:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

I run ET fronts with M/T radials in the rear....car was very stable...even at 180mph
Old 04-12-2010, 10:43 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by n2ocamaro
I was just having a conversation with a friend about this yesterday. I have Sportsman fonts and drag radials. I thought the Sporstman fronts were a radial. I was planning on getting some ET Drags and he said not to mix the 2 kinds. I have not had any problems with Sportmans/drag radials. So, is the Sportsman really a bias-ply tire?
Yep, they're bias ply.

here they are on summit, exact ones I bought

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MTT-1573/
Old 04-12-2010, 10:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

yes the sportsman is..

heres jason from m/t saying dont mix them
http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/sh...s+with+radials
Old 04-12-2010, 11:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Fireball
I run ET fronts with M/T radials in the rear....car was very stable...even at 180mph
your car is a strip only car though right?alot of people run them on the strip cars no problem but put them on there reg street cars and there ill handling pos..lol
Old 04-12-2010, 11:28 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I ran mine at the track with radials on one end and bias ply on the other, it's fine.
Old 04-12-2010, 01:11 PM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

I run the Sportmans upfront and radials out back on the street with zero issues. Now, when I ran radials upfront and bias ply slicks out back the car would sway back and forth going down the road.
Old 04-12-2010, 03:56 PM
On The Tree

Well I already got a buyer for the mickeys, I'm getting some radial 165/80/15s instead.

Quick Reply: Radial rear with bias ply front tires?