Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Q: should i change up my suspension? (street car turning into track car)

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 12:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Q: should i change up my suspension? (street car turning into track car)

Ok, let me give you a run down on the car really quick.
Im thinking about changing things up just b/c the car is heading into more of a dedicated strip car, but will definitly still be a weekend warrior and go out on the weekends on cruises and what not.

the suspension currently consists of Koni 4/3s on all 4 corners, stock springs, UMI *non adj* LCAs/ PHB/ UMI Torque arm, SFCs, and Strano Front/Rear Sway bars..

now im planning on ordering a rear end w/ a spool (Still thinking about this one) come May. Still contemplating on the setup at the moment. Leaning towards MWC fab' 9 or an S60 really..

the car has a th400 so i really think its pointless to have a handling oriented suspension since the car is really a straight line car now.

now my question is: should i get rid of the Koni 4/3, strano sways set up for something more drag dedicated? i'd like the car to still remain somewhat streetable, but i also want it to hook like a MF'er on the street/strip.

whats your guys' take? thanks in advance
Old 04-23-2010, 12:51 PM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

I was in the same boat as you not too long ago and I've started the transformation...

I ditched my Strano springs and stock shocks upfront and replaced them with some Strange adj. drag shocks with a 300# street/strip spring. Out back I kept the Strano springs since they are stiff and stiff is good for drag racing. I went ahead and swapped the shocks out for some adjustable drag shocks and I also did the hose mod as well. I then ditched my non-adj. poly bushing Panhard for a rod ended adj. Panhard. I still have the stock rear swaybar but I plan to pick up a rear anti-sway bar next as that is key in having the car leave straight. With that said I would replace your rear bar with an anti-sway and get rid of the front bar all together.

The subframes you have will be fine, the LCA's will be fine assuming your running 26" tall tires, if you plan to 28" tall tires then I would then get the adjustable LCA's preferably with a rod end but that is up to you. As for the torque arm I currently have the UMI non-adj. full length arm with their relocation kit. If you have the full length arm then definetly relocate it off the transmission tailhousing because at some point it will break. You could always go with an adj. short arm but they are noisy and typically have bad ground clearance. If you want to get an adj. full length arm you could, benefits of that are you will be able to set the pinion angle. The pinion angle is not related to traction like most people think.

With all of that said, I street drive the car with no front sway bar, skinnies, and drag shocks all the way around. Since the shocks are adjustable the car rides fine and handles fine. Some people are against running no front sway on the street but I have done so with no ill effects, I'll leave that up to you. It's definetly nice being able to dead hook on the street when needed Just my .02
Old 04-23-2010, 01:18 PM
TECH Junkie

thank you for the insight, i appreciate it. i've actually been reading a few of your threads regarding your set up

the UMI torque arm is adjustable and has been relocated off the trans and is mounted to the tranny mount. reason i dont EXACTLY want to get a MWC 9" is so i can keep my current T/A set up. i will have 2 sets of wheels (Drag/street).
can i reuse my non adj. LCAs with a 15x8 wheel running 275/60/15s? I was thinking no once the new rearend is in..

im thinking about just ditching the front koni/stock shot set up for something like a strange/QA1 coil over (or w.e.)?

will the Koni 4/3/stock springs on the rear be OK? or should i swap those out as well?
im planning on definitly ditching the strano front sway bar for drag use, but keeping it for street use when im running my street wheels in the fronts. so will i need both adjustable LCAs/PHB?

im def. going to swap out the rear sway bar for an anti-roll bar or even a drag bar if i can?
Old 04-23-2010, 02:12 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Look at a set of AFCO shocks plus front springs. Start looking at rod ended adjustable parts. As you grow with the car you will be glad you did. As for the ARB, if you drive a lot on the street go with a BMR Drag bar. If a little on the street a true ARB will work.
Old 04-23-2010, 03:23 PM
TECH Junkie

yeah the car will see a good amount of street, probably more than the track. and it will be driven to the track.

whats your take on shocks? You'd go with AFCO over Strange or QA1s?
Old 04-23-2010, 03:57 PM
10 Second Club

I like strange for the price. They are probably the best bang for the buck...
Old 04-23-2010, 10:17 PM
12 Second Club

Do it once, get the AFCO's
Old 04-24-2010, 11:50 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

AFCO had a price drop to 199.00 for SA and 299.00 for DA. A little more than Strange or QA1 but worth every penny and then some.
Old 04-24-2010, 12:19 PM
11 Second Club

I wouldn't shy away from the fabbed 9" because of the torque arm you already have. The chromoly 9" specific arm will be MUCH lighter than the one you have now. Plus you can get a good bit of $$ out of your current one.
Old 04-24-2010, 12:59 PM
TECH Junkie

nice this is all great info. Thanks guys. Should I get all 4 or just the fronts ? And what kind of spring weight? I'd definitely get the DAs.
Old 04-24-2010, 03:38 PM
11 Second Club

I just replaced all of my Non Adjustable BMR parts with on car adjustable poly ended pieces from UMI. I went with poly ends to keep my car class legal for the LTXshootout but also because i drive it on the street. I also use the UMI Drag bar and so far it rides great on the street but I havent been to the track yet this yr. As far as Shocks go. I temporarily have comp eng 3 way drag shocks and Hotchkis 1" lower springs(will swap to Strange DAs soon) and I have Strange DAs upfront with 300# springs.
Old 04-24-2010, 05:19 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Go all 4 if it's in the budget. Spring weight depends on the car weight and other factors like trans and what not.

Our fabricated rear will take any TA including stock for that matter.
Old 04-24-2010, 08:02 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

pretty much he same story here... sell off the components you have and put the returns into parts that are a little more specific to what you want to do with your car. your out of pocket expense won't be that bad to get the right parts this way in the end.
The Strange shocks are probably the best bang for the buck no doubt, but the AFCO shocks are not that much more and are some of the best on the market. the QA1 shocks are ok, but the Strange are actually a bit less purchased from the right place, and a much better shock(usa made as well).
The front Strano springs won't work with the new shocks so you will need to sell those off anyway, the rears will get you by but the stock springs seem to be pretty good for the average street/strip car. we can always do coil-over in the rear if you may be interested in that.
We have a bolt-on drag arb that will work good for street and strip. as far as a front bar it is kinda up to the driver as what handling is like with out the front one on the car. I have driven a few cars without the front bar and its just something you get used to. as long as there is a good rear bar on the car you will usually be fine, just don't expect to do things like hit a interstate ramp at higher speeds.
you can always sell off your existing suspension components and upgrade as very many people have done to get our parts and rearends. our components are of the highest quality and priced very affordable.

PM or call us for a quote... you'll be surprised just how affordable the best parts really are!

Last edited by ssvert99; 04-24-2010 at 08:11 PM.
Old 05-10-2010, 11:53 PM
TECH Junkie

welp. today i lit my wallet on fire..
on the way:
-S60, 35 spline axles, spool, 3.73s, !ABS
-Chromemoly drive shaft + driveshaft loop
-Strange SA front shocks/springs
-MWC anti-sway bar
-Billet Specialties 15x10 & 15x3.5 Street Lites

hopefully i can rip off some good times when i make it to the drag strip

Last edited by sidewayz28; 05-11-2010 at 12:04 PM.