Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Glasstek hood fitment issue with Carb

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 11:23 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Glasstek hood fitment issue with Carb

Ive got the Glasstek 4" cowl hood for my '96. Trying to get everything buttoned up and finally get it out, Ive run into a problem with hood/carb clearance. Its nothing fancy, just a 6.0 w/a Vic Jr and a 750HP- no spacer or anything, so hopefully someone has come across this already. Did a quick search and didnt turn up anything. Question is: There is a fiberglass support that runs across the bottom of the hood, where it sits down on the rubber weatherstrip. What do you guys think will happen if I cut this out so I can get it to close, better yet enough to get an air cleaner on it???? I dont have any pics tonight, but here is a link:

http://www.glasstek.com/ Part number is H1170, pic 3 shows exactly what Im talking about.........

Biggest thing Im kinda worried about is how much of a role does it play in the structural integrity of the hood, Id like to just cut it all the way out. I can glass/make another support, but wanted to see what you guys think first.......
Old 05-01-2010, 08:13 AM
9 Second Club

You're obviously going to have to cut it to get the clearance you need.
If it were my hood, I would cut it and then bolt the 2 ends to like an aluminum rectangular bracket you could make or have cut on a water jet so that the bracket would come down over the carb when you close the hood. The bracket would have to be fairly thick to give it the support it needs.
Shouldn't be too bad, make the bracket out of cardboard, program for a water jet should be around $100 bucks or so, aluminum won't cost much.
That's what I would do.
Old 05-01-2010, 08:23 AM
Launching!

Great minds think alike!! I already made up a support exactly like what your saying, I just got "cold feet" when I went to cut it out of the hood.......... Hopefully I can get some time in on it today and will get some pics up. Thanks for the reply-
Old 05-01-2010, 09:04 AM
10 Second Club

I had to do it to my wide sunoco hood to clear my 4150 TB/carb hat setup. You can run a brace to add strength or you can trim the wings completly off and it will be like a pin on style hood,they have no inner skin to them.
Old 05-01-2010, 11:21 AM
Launching!

Does it flex in the center at all though???
Old 05-01-2010, 12:04 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by blk96406
Does it flex in the center at all though???
As hard as mine hits it will shake and flex no matter what i do to it. If your worried about it flexing you can brace it up around the base of the cowl or build a brace that traces the underneath of the cowl and tack it to either side of the cowl underneath.

All i have done so far is built up the base of the cowl with foam weather stripping.