Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Home-Made Ram Air System. Detailed pics-check it out!

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 10:08 AM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy WS6
What size is the tubing that you are using ? I like that .
The aluminum is 4", the abs is 4" ID and 5" OD I believe.
The silicon bends are 4" as are the flanges.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:15 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by SlickVert
I believe that the air pressure at the bumper fog lights is higher then the pressure at the Ram Air opening. If you try to use both, the pressure will equalize to the lower pressure of the two and lose the benefit of using the fog lights opening. If not sealed, you will only see the pressure of the lowest area/leak.

I believe to see a real gain you would want to use both Fog Light opening and run it to a sealed box(not foam but a true seal).
I remember years back that Patrick G. did a test and found that the WS6 sealed BG Ramiar mod actually made a pressure gain to the intake track, and also found that the pressure coming in at the Fog Light opening was close to double that of a sealed WS6 hood.
Bob
No ****?!
Definately makes sense that you would lose pressure if there is an outlet for it.
I'll put that on my to do list for sure, I'll make up a seal for it, already have something in mind of how to make it!
Thanks!!

Last edited by tektrans; 05-11-2010 at 10:17 AM. Reason: aaaa
Old 05-11-2010, 12:15 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wholeheartedly approve this mod.

I need to get out to the race track and test mine FRA versus homemade ram air.
Old 05-11-2010, 02:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

that looks great
Old 05-13-2010, 03:26 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by tektrans
Little dirty right now-I'll get it cleaned up when I get her running. I did this about 3 years ago.

Nothing we havent seen before on here. Holy dirt dobbers batman!
Old 05-13-2010, 07:07 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by HuMi
Nothing we havent seen before on here. Holy dirt dobbers batman!
Sorry to have wasted your time.
Old 05-13-2010, 07:19 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to have wasted your time.

Not wasting my time, LOL.... Im trying to get every thing together to install it on my car. To me, its the top ram air intake mod for the TA's ive seen yet.
Old 05-13-2010, 09:52 AM
9 Second Club

Not wasting my time, LOL.... Im trying to get every thing together to install it on my car. To me, its the top ram air intake mod for the TA's ive seen yet.
Thanks man! I'm tellin' ya, guy just joins a couple months ago, less than 20 posts and he says (nothing "we" haven't seen b4) whatever........

Hey Randy, you probably know this already but to fit it on your car you'll have to cut/notch the front support under the lower airbox. If you decide to cut out the area completely and make up a support for it, like I did keep in mind that the 2 fenders will creep in a little when you cut that piece out so you'll want to work them back out before you weld in your new support. Take measurements before you cut so you'll know how far to push the fenders out later.
Old 05-13-2010, 12:51 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks man! I'm tellin' ya, guy just joins a couple months ago, less than 20 posts and he says (nothing "we" haven't seen b4) whatever........

Hey Randy, you probably know this already but to fit it on your car you'll have to cut/notch the front support under the lower airbox. If you decide to cut out the area completely and make up a support for it, like I did keep in mind that the 2 fenders will creep in a little when you cut that piece out so you'll want to work them back out before you weld in your new support. Take measurements before you cut so you'll know how far to push the fenders out later.
Yes, I was looking at it and noticed that, That should not be a big deal tho. I believe ill seal off my upper ram air box also. To bad a man cant wire up a map sensor in the air box to see if there is positive or negative pressure. The parts stores around here don't have the 4"X 45* elbows and silicon couplings. But ill find them.
Old 05-13-2010, 01:01 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What IATs have you guys seen with this mod?
Old 05-13-2010, 01:29 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 3fingas
What IATs have you guys seen with this mod?
Good question, I've never checked but at my next dyno session I'll ask Julio what it's reading.

I'm just thinking, I didn't get the 45degree bends from Spectre, got the silicon elbow only from them. I got the bends from Cartek a few years back, they had some stuff in a box and I went thru it. I guess check places that have turbo plumbing supplies.
Old 05-13-2010, 02:39 PM
TECH Addict

I would think that the temp. would be a little higher, because the incoming air is closer to the pavement, were the heat is radiated from. Ive always been told the reason the WS6 RamAir make more power over the standard TA, is because of the cool air coming in the top of the hood and not from under the car were all the heat is accumulated from the road and engine.
Old 05-18-2010, 09:54 AM
9 Second Club

I would think that the temp. would be a little higher, because the incoming air is closer to the pavement, were the heat is radiated from. Ive always been told the reason the WS6 RamAir make more power over the standard TA, is because of the cool air coming in the top of the hood and not from under the car were all the heat is accumulated from the road and engine.
The reason the WS6 makes more power is because it's taking in fresh outside air and not just air circulating under the hood.
You could argue that air coming into the foglight holes is warmer than air coming in thru the top but how much warmer could it be?
Old 05-18-2010, 10:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Maybe I am missing something, but are you really getting a "sealed" effect by leaving it open at the nostrils? the front of the airbox really isn't sealed to the hood.
Old 05-18-2010, 12:06 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

How are yall sealing these crappy air lids?
Old 05-18-2010, 04:32 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Fireball
Maybe I am missing something, but are you really getting a "sealed" effect by leaving it open at the nostrils? the front of the airbox really isn't sealed to the hood.
Good point!
The only way to get the GM Ramair hood to really make a different is to get the BGR Ramair kit that removes all the baffles and has a seal that actually seals the hood to the airbox.
Bob
Old 05-18-2010, 04:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by stoverz28
How are yall sealing these crappy air lids?
I put some frost king (lowes, H D) thin strip stick on foam around the under side of my SLP lid were the flat for the filter edge it. Its like 1/2 wide 1/8 thick. 1st lid fit was tight, I had the stock bellow still so that helped. Now its worn in, and fits snugg with the 22* 4inch elbow bellow now.
Old 05-18-2010, 05:00 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Fireball
Yeah during this thread I was reading all the replies pertaining to just that, few people mentioned it.
I'm gonna go ahead and seal up the front of that airbox as suggested and just take in the air thru the foglight holes. I'd like to run it back to back and see if there's a difference.
I've been running it this way for years but it seems there is room for improvement.
Old 05-18-2010, 06:08 PM
11 Second Club

I am getting ready to do something very similar but I had an idea on the core support issue. I am going to try and make sleeves for the 4in tubing to go through. The way I figured if I could get some 4 1/2", or similar, exhaust pipe I could cut holes in the core weld in the pipe and be able to easily slide flexible piep through there and not compromise the core support.

Of course that would only work if I actually had the room to weld in something that big. Just a thought.
Old 05-18-2010, 06:12 PM
11 Second Club

It's nice to see I'm not the only one that has to tape notes to what I am working on!

Quick Reply: My Home-Made Ram Air System. Detailed pics-check it out!