Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

disappointment strikes at track today..advice?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2010 | 11:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

My opinion is buy all the necessary suspension to make your car hook and then buy a set of 28" tall slicks or ET streets for the track on a 15" wheel so i guess that makes me a + 2 to what everyone else has been saying. I just bought all the same stuff you have and I plan on driving mine on the street but it doesnt bother me to drive a car with that set up on the street. The only happy medium that I can see for you is a car with only a little bit of spin. You cant have your cake and eat it too. Im gonna buy some 15" wheels with a 28"X9" tire to put on at the track. Thats the only way I can see it working.
Old 05-24-2010 | 12:18 PM
Launching!

i can deal with a little bit of spin. i know there are plenty of cars that spin a little but are still runnin quick. i think i'm gonna try some rear comp. engineering shocks, anti-roll bar, and sub frame connectors. and hopefully yeild some better results
Old 05-24-2010 | 11:19 PM
11 Second Club

I still say all you NEED is a good tire. You don't have to run your race tires on the street to be a street/strip car. Plus going to a stiff drag bar and drag shocks are not going to help your cornering ability.

Cars that spin are wasted potential, I don't know of any other way to put it. The most important part of a 1/4 mile pass is the 60ft. Plus you are not making the power to overcome a lousy sixty foot. You said it's capable of low 12's but really if all you can get is 12.8 with those tires, it's only capable of 12.8.

Plus your 12.5 pass was in January, so I wouldn't even bother comparing it to a pass on a 95* day with god knows what humidity. I am assuming you ran that on the pro stars as well? The swap from 15" welds to 18s would be a good chunk of your lost time.

I am running consistant 1.6x sixty foot times on just 275/50/15(26" tall) hoosier drs, and LCAs. There is no need to worry about putting good suspension on a car with tires that just won't hook. Start with tires and if you have problems go from there.

Just for the hell of it could you post up your full timeslip info? It would be nice to see what you were running with your 15s and compare that to your 18s. I'll bet you see a big drop in the mph.
Old 05-25-2010 | 06:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

A buddy of mine is running those comp. eng. 3 way drag shocks with the 28" tall tire, tunnel mount T/A and thats it. He has a cam only car and runs a 8.00 1/8 mile. His car dead hooks. He has the soft wall tire though. His car would just spin on his 17" radials. I am a firm believer that a GOOD tire with a tall wall and a good "foot print" on the ground makes all the difference. Just do what we do, we have every day street tires to ride around on and then a good set of slicks on a set of 15"s that we take to the track. It works great for us. We have the best of both worlds. Im tellin you if you go buy you a set of 15"s with a 28" tall tire then you will see all the difference in the world. We have I promise. That would def be my next purchase if I were you.
Old 05-25-2010 | 08:31 AM
10 Second Club

I agree with most of the above. Use 15's with a bias ply (et street) or a full slick for the track and put your other wheels on for the street.....the best of both worlds. No need to spend another 1K on suspension yet. Try the tires and go from there.
Old 05-27-2010 | 10:27 AM
Launching!

i'll have to dig out the timeslips for you guys. and yes my fastest mph with the prostars was 113..with the 18's the fastest was a 110. Like i said before though i just thought i could make it ten times easier to race by not having to do anything to the car before going to the track. but i guess i'll look for another set of 15's. would you guys recomend going with a 15x10"? When i can hook what im runnin now and get down to low 12's (on a decent night with some cool air and a little !weight) then it'll see a 100 shot so i'd like to have a tire that will work for both. recommendations?
Old 05-31-2010 | 05:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

My buddy runs a 15X8 wheel on his. It looks good and no clearance issues.
Old 06-01-2010 | 09:40 AM
Launching!

i'd rather do some 15x10's for more contact surface with the tire. i want to get the right tire though and that's a giant world. radials to bias ply and all that good stuff..i don't really know what to get. Looking for something with a lot of life preferably
Old 06-27-2010 | 02:29 AM
Staging Lane

10 in would suit you fine on a 15 for what you are running. unless you plan on going all out for time id stick w that size. its all on what you want to acheive in the car.