Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Racecraft Inc. complete front suspension ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 01:40 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Racecraft Inc. complete front suspension ?

For those of you with the Racecraft Inc. complete front suspension, what are your opinions? I have it installed now and seems to be a really nice setup my only quark would be there are zero instructions with this kit and no torque specs. I got it all together but if anyone has any recomended starting adjustments to anything like the lower A-arm spacers, bump steer spacers, upper and lower A-arm adjusments just to get it close until I get the car professionally aligned that would be great ...I know I can figure it all out on my own but thought I would save some time if anyone out there has it now.

Edit: Well, I put it all together and made a few adjustments to get it close on my own, here is a few pics of the kit and the front after it's done. It pulls the front end in 1.5" per side as well.

Last edited by DanZ28; 08-08-2010 at 04:31 PM.
Old 07-31-2010, 02:09 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can I have it??? thanks
Old 07-31-2010, 02:37 PM
10 Second Club

No, no you cant! . But you can come down and put my erector set Racecraft wing together for me ...
Old 07-31-2010, 03:45 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by DanZ28
No, no you cant! . But you can come down and put my erector set Racecraft wing together for me ...
As much as I love playing with erector sets, I've got too much to do to my own heap to be ready for sept.
Old 08-01-2010, 12:53 PM
10 Second Club

Bump. Nobody has this front end?
Old 08-01-2010, 06:39 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like a badass setup. I think you should *****-up some installed pics....

Does that kit use different front spindles and lightweight brakes?

Mike
Old 08-01-2010, 07:41 PM
10 Second Club

Yes, it uses 2" drop spindles and third gen Strange 4 piston brakes. I can get some pics but not at the moment.
Old 08-01-2010, 08:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

i do believe 1 of the cars at stenod has all there stuff on it might wanna give them a call
Old 08-01-2010, 09:01 PM
12 Second Club

You COULD always call Racecraft and ask
Old 08-01-2010, 09:54 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by fenton06
You COULD always call Racecraft and ask
Yes, thanks for the obvious, but nobody answers on the weekend . It's no big deal, just thought folks out there went through this already and I would have it easy but I think the cost of this puts it on a limited amount of cars. Keenan's is the one I'd really like to see pics of since Racecraft sponsors him...
Old 08-01-2010, 09:54 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by trans2000am
i do believe 1 of the cars at stenod has all there stuff on it might wanna give them a call
Thanks for the info...
Old 08-02-2010, 10:58 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I went with the burkhart setup, similar.... it took FOREVER for me to get the thing 1/2 aligned... it's still gonna have to go to the alignment shop for sure. Having no slots and just a hole makes the initial alignment a serious pita, but the fact that there's no slots for anything to shift in is fantastic, I'm 100% sure that once it's set, it will stay good for a LONG time that way.

As for where you want it set, I don't know, depends on the car, setup, speed, etc. I'm sure.

I put as much caster into mine as I could, tried to get the camber 0 with the front end in the air and the tires just touching, and got the toe as strait as I could in the same position. I was able to get the toe pretty good there and about 1/2 way thru the travel, and it never toes out at all, only a little bit in at the top. This was done by shimming down the tie rods from the spindle with the supplied spacers from burkhart.

Again.. it needs to get done by a pro, I did the best I could with a tape measure, a couple clamps, straitedge and an angle finder.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:48 PM
10 Second Club

String and a bubble guage is all you need. Oh, and some slip plates.
Old 08-04-2010, 01:17 PM
10 Second Club

As long as ir goes straight at 180 mph, I don't care to much .

Thanks JL.
Old 08-04-2010, 03:45 PM
7 Second Club

first get the arms of the rack in line with the lower control arms. take a piece of string from the bolt on the k-member and string it to the bolt at the spindle. put spacers on the rack's arm till its as close as possible to the angle of the control arm. this will get you started and if you get it dead on will make bumpsteer less than 3/16.

if your k-member is slotted for adjustment afte you get everything set i advise you to put a small tack weld on the washers and k-member to prevent movement after a wheelie or just regular use. use nyloc nuts every where and get them tight.
Old 08-04-2010, 03:46 PM
Race your car!

No problem. I probably spent 6 to 8 hours trying to get mine as close to where I wanted it. It's still not perfect... but it's at least in the right ballpark for the guy that will have to align it. No way did I want to have to pay someone the time it would take to do it all from scratch, that would be big time $$

Now, they only have a little work to do, probably an hour, maybe 2 I'd guess at most.
Old 08-04-2010, 08:40 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by ty_ty13
first get the arms of the rack in line with the lower control arms. take a piece of string from the bolt on the k-member and string it to the bolt at the spindle. put spacers on the rack's arm till its as close as possible to the angle of the control arm. this will get you started and if you get it dead on will make bumpsteer less than 3/16.

if your k-member is slotted for adjustment afte you get everything set i advise you to put a small tack weld on the washers and k-member to prevent movement after a wheelie or just regular use. use nyloc nuts every where and get them tight.
That's good info, thanks. Luckly I don't have any slots for adjustment, everything is rod ended which makes it a PITA to keep pulling bolts out to make adjustments, but its better then slotted. The racecraft stuff all comes with grade 8 hardware with nyloc nuts as well, so thats good. The wheels are pulled in 1.5 inches as well so it looks a little different now, im not used to it..

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
No problem. I probably spent 6 to 8 hours trying to get mine as close to where I wanted it. It's still not perfect... but it's at least in the right ballpark for the guy that will have to align it. No way did I want to have to pay someone the time it would take to do it all from scratch, that would be big time $$

Now, they only have a little work to do, probably an hour, maybe 2 I'd guess at most.
Thats what I'm trying to do, just get it close.

I called racecraft today, they gave me the spacing to put the lower a-arm in the stock location which is where I actually have it now, but I know it won't stay like that. Now I need to make a new steering shaft as well, I think I will mount a bushing on the frame to pull it out of the way and use 3 joints on it. You know anyone that has completely cut their stock cowling out and made a new one ? I'm thinking I will get this done, it would be nice and clean and shave some weight too.
Old 08-05-2010, 04:39 AM
Race your car!

Madman did it on a car... I'm going to do it on mine. Well, leave the corners, but in the middle, it's gonna go strait up from the main firewall. motor/tranny in and out as one assembly, that is my goal. Along with no upper radiator support... well there will be, but the radiator will be stuffed in the bumper cover so where the factory one is, there won't be anything in the way, first thing in the way will be the bumper cover.

That's what I'm doing.... I'll get pic's up once it's done, and some from the in process, should be this winter.
Old 08-05-2010, 01:41 PM
10 Second Club

I'm cutting my whole cowl completely off then making a new one to support the windshield. The radiator support will be removeable, but there will be some form of one there. I have changed my mind on the radiator, I'm not doing one now, I'm putting a tank in the back and pump it just like you do for an A2W intercooler. I would also like to do a removable front end, that would be pimp...With a mid plate, I dont think motor and tranny can come out together for me...
Old 08-05-2010, 04:41 PM
Race your car!

It can with a mid plate, just have to have the plate done right.

I was thinking about the tank in the back and a pump, but I can't find alot of people that have taken that route.

a 8 gallon tank might be lighter then the radiator, plus it would be in the back, and you could easily drain/fill between rounds, etc. That's a good idea, I should explore that some