Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Building a race car? Document it here!

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 02:57 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Dennis...... man it was a big day!! Started out at 7 got home at 8 last night, at the end of the day all went well. We came up short of what they hoped at 678hp at 6200rpm! It was still making power but we thought that we would call it a day, it good fortune as nothing was hurt. It supprisingly made 14 pounds of boost on an expected 12 just off idle, The torque curve was very flat and the torque was unreal. Man did that blower scream at full noise!!
It supprisingly made 630 on the first real pull, so there is more left. The plan was to gilmer pully it once I was happy with the power, but im just not sure of how much more I want out of it. Everything is good for 800, but I 'll put it in and see what I think. After all it is a street car.... the Camero is the race car!! Just glad it is out of the way, I can put it in the car and move on!!
Anyway, catch ya.
Old 12-24-2011, 02:54 PM
TECH Regular

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!!! Stay safe and enjoy the day. Not much happening here, got my engine sitting at home with me, and will enjoy eating christmas dinner looking at her. I will make a start to put it in the car tomorrow!!
Catch ya.
Old 12-24-2011, 03:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

u2.....
Old 12-24-2011, 07:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Hey Robb!! Merry Christmas to you!! And everyone else!!! My favorite holiday!!! I bet your happy to have your engine home!! Not much here either just getting ready for santa!! Later
Old 12-25-2011, 04:01 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks Fuel, Dennis, It isnt my favourite time of the year for the lead up to christmas...... but it is the only time of the year that I take holidays, so I do enjoy it!! It is good to have my engine home, im going to put it in the car today!!
I hope that santa bought you guys some nice things..... I got my engine, so im content!! But would love a Burkhart rear end, have to see what I can organise.
Anyway catch ya.
Old 12-25-2011, 08:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

ive been real busy paninting my car......to much f*****g work,to try to do, in three weeks.
Old 12-26-2011, 05:04 PM
TECH Regular

Hey fuel, yeah man..... i'm with you!!! It takes alot of work and preperation to paint a car. Does leave you with more money to spend on mechanical though! I have painted cars over the years, man i'm done with it..... I enjoy the mechanical and engeneering side of things alot more now!!!
Good Luck with it!!

I had a busy day yesterday, me and a buddy pulled the hood so I could fit the engine. Once the hood was off my buddy left me with it, as I had to concentrate on the job. I spent along time checking things as I lowered it into the car. It was more difficult as there was so many new veriables with the car. It has all been redone, and I dont want to damage things. I could rest easy at the end of the day, with the engine nestled between the rails oncemore. Damn it looked good!!

Today i'll put the wiring loom back on, there is still abit to do.... just small jobs but all over the place. I need to pull my axles again and order some new ones. The guys who built the engine are worried that with 650nm of torque across the board that I will tear the diff out of the car!! Because it still runs stock configuration mounting points.

Anyway, my new hood and hatch must be here in Australia somewhere, just havent been told I can pick them up yet. But I have plenty to keep me busy. I will get up some picks later today, catch ya.
Old 12-27-2011, 09:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

here is a teaser
Old 12-27-2011, 09:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

here is this weeks work
Old 12-27-2011, 10:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

look what burkhart sent me

Old 12-28-2011, 05:52 PM
TECH Regular

Happy Holidays Guys/ Fuel!! Owh lah lah, Fuel my man I diggin the paint work!!! It looks asthough you have been busy!! On the other hand I havent touched my junk!! Just trying to sort out my Aussie car.

The Burkhart bumper support is a nice piece....... man you will be happy with the fitment!! Looks like you shot to birds with the same bullet with running Burkharts BS combo deal with the fuel tank! Thanks for sharing I knew that it was available but had yet to see one in the flesh! Very Nice!! I was looking at hanging my fuel cell off my rad support, same idea..... just a different location!!

I noticed that you didn't radius your guards for 30's.... did you decide not to?? So you just have the hanging stuff to go... Damn I wish I was ready for paint!!

This is what I have been working on....... Plumbing it up for the dyno

The engine safely back in the car....

Todays job.... to make the intake pipe from the throttle body to the 5 inch hole in the innner guard!!

The fuel system in the hatch!!

Thanks for looking!! Catch ya.

Last edited by 98 grmrpr; 12-28-2011 at 05:59 PM.
Old 12-29-2011, 07:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

man your engine and engine bay looks awsome.and yes i did cut the wheel well.
Old 12-29-2011, 09:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

Your car looks Great Fuel!!! Its really going to turn out nice!! Man Robb you have been busy. Motor looks killer!!! I know your happy to get it back together!!! You guys are getting a lot of task finished... I need to get busy!!! Later
Old 12-29-2011, 03:31 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks Guys, Damn it would want to look good...... that engine owes me nearly half a house!!! I could have built to small blocks for the cost of this!! It is great to see it back in the car, It has been 14 months in the build.

Im glad that you cut your wheel wells did you do both sides?? I still have got to do the bumper side. If you get a chance could you post a pick of your radius work..... would love to see what you did and get a better idea of what mine is going to look like.

Keep at it man..... your on the home straight now, it is looking very nice!!!
Dennis..... yeah im slackin on my junker 2, I havent touched it yet. Just got to get my Aussie car out of the way, and then full steam ahead!!
Anyway, catch ya.
Old 01-03-2012, 12:25 AM
TECH Regular

Default Driveshaft Questions

I have a 93 Trans Am LT1 engined car that came with a T56 Transmission that I had to give back to the PO who gave me the car (for taking the tranny out for his other car)!

Anyway, I gave him back the Tranny, Crossmember, Driveshaft, Flywheel, Clutch etc. I also have to give him the pedal assy as well.

I already had a rebuilt Turbo 400 with Trans-Brake, RMVB and Continental Converter. My question revolves around which Driveshaft (Type, Material etc) should I get or have built.

My engine will stay relatively stock for now but will have headers and some other Bolt On stuff as time permits. I am mainly just building the car for fun right now but eventually plan on putting in a Rear End (S60 or 9") so I want to do the driveshaft so I can easily adapt it to the new rear end when it is affordable for me to do that.

Do you have any suggestions and what yoke comes with the stock 10" rear end?

If you guys can make some suggestions for me on the driveshaft along with what I can expect to pay.

Thanks,

Joe
Old 01-22-2012, 02:57 PM
TECH Regular

Hey guys, nothig much happening with my racecar..... but progress is slow and steady on my wagon!! So time consuming doing all the finer points, and it's starting to get hard to find room to mount things in the tight space. I made a custom intercooler filler bottle, to go where the original overflow bottle went and had a buddy finish welding it entirely, he uses a different technique.... big blob and a long drag. Looks killer to me see what you think.....

Now the car as it sits today.....

Still quite a few little things to do, exhaust is back on the steering rack is plumbed although my custom powersteering bracket is not in line, it will need a shim or two.
Anyway that is what I have been doing.

Fuel how is your progress??

Thanks for looking, catch ya.
Old 02-25-2012, 03:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Hey Robb!! Any updates on your rides?? Hope to get some done on mine soon. The wife had surgery thursday so been busy with her since. Gonna try to work on it tomorrow.Later
Old 02-25-2012, 09:30 PM
TECH Regular

Hey Dennis, good to catch up man!! Sorry to here about your wife.... I know she is in good hands!!
Things are slow with the cars, I now have a whole bunch of stuff out being polished like the radiator now it has a new overflow tank added to it, the intercooler filler and my air intake is getting hp coated. Then I think I just about have crossed all the T's and dotted the i's.
So im back onto the camaro now, with the commodores parts being out. Man it feels good to get back into it!! Trying to get pics of how others have mounted the hatches has been a pain in the ****!! I have plenty to do, im just going to clean and prime the cage try and tidy things up.

Man, your car is looking real nice!! Keep it up.
catch ya.
Old 02-26-2012, 08:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks Robb! Im glad your making progress on your stuff!! Got a few things done today not much. The wife had a hysterectomy so been pretty busy with her but she getting better. Going to work on my hood tomorrow and try to finish getting it mounted. Later
Old 02-26-2012, 11:51 PM
TECH Regular

Progress is slow, but things are happening!! It has taken along time but I think Jean at VFN finally has my mounting kit and is sending it or has it sent by now I hope!! I found a good example of how to mount the top portion of the hatch on the forumn finally so I will begin my assult on the car this week!!
I hope you get some stuff done, catch ya.

Quick Reply: Building a race car? Document it here!