Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1994 Camaro - Suspension help please!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 04:40 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1994 Camaro - Suspension help please!!!

Looking for some guidance..... Just put single adj Strange shocks on my car and it seems that the entire chassis is lower??? I've adjusted the ride height and it's still lower. That's not the real issues: - Car now seems to be leaning!!
I disconnected the anti roll bar and it seemed to help as it had the car in a bind? Why the change? In order to hook it back up and not be in a bind, I have to have the driver side length at 7.5 inches (recommended from spohn) and the pass 8.25 inches??? Pls help!!!! I'm trying to get my ride to hook on my 275/60/15 drag radial. I've been 6.97 / 10.97 w/ my best 60' at 1.49 on horsepower and I'm wanting to spray it. Thanks!!!!!!!

I have a BMR TA, LCA & relo brackets, T350 TA Relo and p angle is at -3.

Please help.....
Old 08-30-2010, 07:08 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You need more info, or at least a better explaination, pics are useful too.

Looking for some guidance..... Just put single adj Strange shocks on my car and it seems that the entire chassis is lower???

What size/poundage spring are you using?? Brand?? Stock??

Rear sway bars can have some preload in then, you would see it driving but the car should not be leaning.

I installed recently QA1's R series Fronts and F Series in the back, Single Adj, and a UMI Dragbar and the R series had a 315# spring in it and the ride height needed to be cranked up a little as the tires were rubbing but that was the worst I have seen.

I've adjusted the ride height and it's still lower. That's not the real issues: - Car now seems to be leaning!!
I disconnected the anti roll bar and it seemed to help as it had the car in a bind
?

Front or Back Sway Bar, I know it sounds stupid but you never know.... What were the before and after measurements, and is this on dead level ground??
Old 08-30-2010, 09:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JREX

Looking for some guidance..... Just put single adj Strange shocks on my car and it seems that the entire chassis is lower??? I've adjusted the ride height and it's still lower. That's not the real issues: - Car now seems to be leaning!!
I disconnected the anti roll bar and it seemed to help as it had the car in a bind? Why the change? In order to hook it back up and not be in a bind, I have to have the driver side length at 7.5 inches (recommended from spohn) and the pass 8.25 inches??? Pls help!!!! I'm trying to get my ride to hook on my 275/60/15 drag radial. I've been 6.97 / 10.97 w/ my best 60' at 1.49 on horsepower and I'm wanting to spray it. Thanks!!!!!!!

I have a BMR TA, LCA & relo brackets, T350 TA Relo and p angle is at -3.

Please help.....

Good talking to you this morning.....

Let me know how it works out for you
Old 08-30-2010, 11:16 AM
Teching In

Thanks Lee. I'm going to mess with the car some more this afternoon.
Old 08-30-2010, 11:20 AM
Teching In

Thanks for your reply.

What size/poundage spring are you using?? Brand?? Stock??
** Strange Single Adj with 300lbs springs

Rear sway bars can have some preload in then, you would see it driving but the car should not be leaning.
* I talked with Shohn and they said to adj the rod length to what it needs to be, but I disagree. In talking with Lee from BMR, i need to figure out why that that adj is needed... I'd rather fix the problem, not band-aid the problem by lengthening the connecting rod.

Front or Back Sway Bar, I know it sounds stupid but you never know.... What were the before and after measurements, and is this on dead level ground??
** Front sway bar is gone.... back is a spohn drag anti roll..... Rear is Strange 12bolt w/ spool 3:90 gear and comp eng 50/50 shocks. Spring is ebiach lowering stiff spring. Car is not squatting, which I'm reading to be a good thing.

Thanks again....

Last edited by JREX; 08-30-2010 at 11:48 AM. Reason: corrections....
Old 08-30-2010, 11:26 AM
Internet Mechanic

If BMR got you all set, then thats good.

As far as what is needed. I made mine neutral so no preload but then followed my proceedures from UMI as they made the most sense. Having a driver in the car to account for their weight is ideal for preloading.

When everything is welded its going to be stiff. The car will certainly react differently. Have you welded in Sub Frame Connectors by chance.
Old 08-30-2010, 11:51 AM
Teching In

I think I'm on the way.... I'm going to adj some more this afternoon and then run the car this weekend if weather permits. Any yes, I do have sub frame connectors.

What's your car 60' footing?
Old 08-30-2010, 12:01 PM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by JREX
I think I'm on the way.... I'm going to adj some more this afternoon and then run the car this weekend if weather permits. Any yes, I do have sub frame connectors.

What's your car 60' footing?
I have not gotten to the track yet, (financial issues for many reasons) but I gathered all my parts and going to head out with JL-ws6 (Drag Race Moderator) and dial her in.

This is what it did 2 years ago and based on the weight, twisting, and bouncing off the rear we needed to commit to some changes before I ruined the car.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/eastern-m...ay-new-pb.html

At the time, no matter what RPM, the car would just not 60 any more then in the 1.7's but we saw clear evidence of the body bump stops hitting the rear and we needed to get that and the twisting under control. After a few test hits was can adj accordingly.
Old 08-30-2010, 02:19 PM
Teching In

Angry

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
I have not gotten to the track yet, (financial issues for many reasons) but I gathered all my parts and going to head out with JL-ws6 (Drag Race Moderator) and dial her in.

This is what it did 2 years ago and based on the weight, twisting, and bouncing off the rear we needed to commit to some changes before I ruined the car.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/eastern-m...ay-new-pb.html

At the time, no matter what RPM, the car would just not 60 any more then in the 1.7's but we saw clear evidence of the body bump stops hitting the rear and we needed to get that and the twisting under control. After a few test hits was can adj accordingly.
I know what you mean.... everything seems to be a 'work in progress'!! And the funds just aren't available like they were before kids!!

So you had a slick on the car? Pulled the front tire up nicely! I'm hoping mine will, even thought with the drag/anti roll bar the car HAS to pick up both of them, which is pretty difficult. I've 60'd a 1.47 is my best, but no lift on the front tire
Old 09-06-2010, 04:56 PM
Teching In

Hey guys... just wanted to let you know my results. Car ran awesome!! At first I had the front end too loose. They car jumped up nice, but I lost a couple tenths on my 60' foot b/c I guess it take time to go up vs. forward???

After a couple passes, I ended up at 6 on my Strange single Adjustable hooking dead up on horsepower. Then I decided to go ahead and spray it!!! I just have a 100 shot on the car (NOS Top Shot - blow-thru system) and it hooked pretty much dead up again - 1.45 60' Ran 6.77 at 100.87 which should be about a 10.62 in the quarter. I'm super happy with that!!
Attached Thumbnails 1994 Camaro - Suspension help please!!!-232323232-7ffp432-9-nu-3249-448-274-wsnrcg-335-4-655324nu0mrj.jpg  
Old 09-06-2010, 08:43 PM
Internet Mechanic

Sweeeet! Congratz on the great results!
Old 09-07-2010, 08:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Sounds like the car is working
Old 09-07-2010, 09:27 AM
Teching In

It is working.... but I want my damn front tires in the air at least a little bit!! My bro was at the line with me, but he didn't get any vid and said he was focused more on the back tire vs. the front, so it might have pulled them a little bit. Anyway, I hate to change whats working, but what do you guys think going to neg 2 deg on the p angle would do for me??

Also - what exactly does the panhard bar do - just center the wheels left to right - right?? I have BMR everything except the Drag bar is Sphon b/c the reasons we discussed (bolt in & then weld) w/ no clearance issues on my Strange 12 bold and my tires are even on both sides in the wheel well.

Thanks!! - Jim
Old 09-07-2010, 04:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

pan keeps the rear centerd in the car..
Old 09-07-2010, 07:56 PM
Teching In

so basically worthless if the rear is alreay centered?
Old 09-07-2010, 08:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

no it stops it from moving side to side..only worthless if you have a wish bone setup in the car

Quick Reply: 1994 Camaro - Suspension help please!!!