Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front inner fender pics?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 08:01 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Front inner fender pics?

Does anyone have pics of the front inner fenders with the plastic splash guards removed? And does anyone drive their car on the street with them removed? My car never gets driven in rain or snow but I was just wondering if people got a lot of debris build up with the guards removed.
Old 09-04-2010, 08:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i hear you can cut them so just the back block the door jam.
Old 09-04-2010, 08:36 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I'd highly reccommend doing that (cutting them so just the back portion is there)

This will keep rocks and whatnot out of the door jamb's and stop the bottom corner of the doors from getting cracked from a rock getting in there, you not knowing it and then you open the door, and whamo, bottom corner of the door is broken off.

The inner liners are easy to cut with a dremel or cutoff wheel, and you really just need the back portion of them, probably a lb total worth of plastic if that. I am goin to cut mine and reinstall in this fashon, I'll try to get some pic's when I do it and post them up.
Old 09-04-2010, 09:14 AM
10 Second Club

Cool, thanks guys.
Old 09-04-2010, 10:28 PM
12 Second Club

I cut mine recently. I removed all the splash gaurd plastic crap underneath along with the front bumper support and fog lights. So I trimmed the front bumper cover where it ussually mounts to the bumper support, and the inner fenders because there was about 12" hanging down. I'll take some pic's tomorrow for you, Mines an LT1 car but it's all the same. I also removed the airdamn. Took it out for its first drive today in a year, the car stays super cool with no signs of even being close to getting HOT let alone over heating.
Old 09-05-2010, 06:28 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by airfix
I cut mine recently. I removed all the splash gaurd plastic crap underneath along with the front bumper support and fog lights. So I trimmed the front bumper cover where it ussually mounts to the bumper support, and the inner fenders because there was about 12" hanging down. I'll take some pic's tomorrow for you, Mines an LT1 car but it's all the same. I also removed the airdamn. Took it out for its first drive today in a year, the car stays super cool with no signs of even being close to getting HOT let alone over heating.
i wanted to cut mine too, but im worried about the CAI air filter element which is positioned right in front of the left front fender cover.
Old 09-05-2010, 11:16 AM
9 Second Club

Mine are completely removed on my black car and I have no problems. But I have skinnies so they don't kick up many rocks and do not drive it every day. I've even driven in a pretty good rain on my skinnies and DR's with no problems or many rocks up there in the door jam.
Old 09-05-2010, 11:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

any problems with the front bumper,.

dosnt this let more air under the hood.
Old 09-05-2010, 12:10 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by studderin
any problems with the front bumper,.

dosnt this let more air under the hood.
The front bumper was reinfornced with aluminum flat stock as you see in the pics. As far as more air, not from what I can tell and I have a lift off ws9 hood. Or atleast not enough to slow me down. Lol..
Here are some pics I tried to take.

Door hinges

Strut tower

Old 09-05-2010, 02:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

whats thw weight saved on going to the 3/4 cut wheel well

and dosnt it block water for the alt. i think i remeber i took them out, but noticed it looked like it would get the alt soaked and put them back in. i drive all the time in the rain
Old 09-05-2010, 08:05 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by studderin
whats thw weight saved on going to the 3/4 cut wheel well

and dosnt it block water for the alt. i think i remeber i took them out, but noticed it looked like it would get the alt soaked and put them back in. i drive all the time in the rain
This is the second time, I just drove mine 45 miles each way to the track and back today in the rain and have not had any alt problems. Now it wasn't a trenchal down pour but a good rain. Yes if your splashing through puddles the alt will get wet but it's never 100% sealed off from the elements from the factory. If you ever sprayed your engine off with water. It gets alot of water there. So I don't worry about it. But my cars are mostly sunny day cars, and rarely see rain.
Old 09-05-2010, 08:35 PM
9 Second Club

I was curious. So here are some pics of the stock ones in place om my 01.
Here is the alt water deflector.

And as you can see there is only a splash deflector to direct water away from the alt, but not 100% effective as you can see by how dirty it is.

Old 09-05-2010, 08:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

whats the benefit of doing this? 1-2 lbs of plastic rempoved? doesnt seem worth it on anything that gets driven
Old 09-06-2010, 08:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

ya i forgot about the alt. splash sheild, i remebd when i pulled the front sway, i took it off. then realized what it dose looking at it, and put it back on just for that. but your running without it and thouse pics are with the wheel wells gone. i remember there is thouse other plastics with the flat bottem in there too. i thought most guys would remove thosue too with the wheel wells. i know ive seen some /light/ cars and when they turn the front wheels you could see light thu the front grills, and the forglight holes, and the gound thu the front side of the wheel wells.
Old 09-06-2010, 11:06 PM
9 Second Club

Yeah my blackbird all the plastic is gone. You can see everything through the bumper vents. (the first pics I posted).
The red bird (the second pics I posted) is all stock in that department.

Yeah I'm lucky enough to have 2 cars.

Quick Reply: Front inner fender pics?