Sponsored by:

How effective is a drag bar???

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 09:28 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TravisA
chrs1313 Nice launch on the second vid!

You running a Radial or slick? I would really like to run a slick but that means no trips to town on my drag setup.
that was like a 1.36-7 60ft, it is a 275/60/15 M/T drag radial...

My buddy runs a slick everywhere and has been pulled over 3 times and they never say anything...they are more worried about how loud the car is...
Old 09-06-2010, 09:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats the one thing I need to adjust. When I put in the comp eng. rear shocks I did the heater hose mod and didnt think to change the angle of the control arms when I lowered the rear. So as of right now they are parallel with the ground. But before I changed the rear shocks and lowered it, I couldnt hook for crap either. I'm pretty sure they need to have a slight angle right? I have one more hole to go down. I dont think that adjustment will get it to dead hook but will deff help.[/QUOTE]

Yes they need to pitched towards the rear at least 2 degrees.
Old 09-06-2010, 05:27 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Carter01
No personal experiences but it will be the last item I purchase as well. I cut pretty consistent mid 1.4s on the juice and I have to compensate for the right rear twist with extra clicks on my shocks on right rear which the DB would correct. I thin when you start getting in the low 1.4s and 1.3s it becomes a safety piece as well to get from jumping left or right on the hit. Worth the money yes, at what point is it needed well that's another story. I too can't afford to go out and buy it all at once either and it is on my list, just last for me.
Hey man - nice pass!! I sprayed my car this past Saturday night and I did get it to pretty much hook dead-up one pass on a DR... 60 foot was a 1.45, but my question is - what is your pinion angle and if your car a 6 speed? I ran a 6.77 @ almost 101, but I'd like to pull the front tires up like your car does. Can you do that consistently? I like making the car work on a DR, I'm wondering if a slick will make it pull the front tires???

Also - I do have a Drag Bar. I purchased the one from Spohn. It's heavy, but I like the fact you can pretty bolt it on and then weld it to the factory frame.

Any thoughts or advise????
Old 09-06-2010, 06:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JREX
Hey man - nice pass!! I sprayed my car this past Saturday night and I did get it to pretty much hook dead-up one pass on a DR... 60 foot was a 1.45, but my question is - what is your pinion angle and if your car a 6 speed? I ran a 6.77 @ almost 101, but I'd like to pull the front tires up like your car does. Can you do that consistently? I like making the car work on a DR, I'm wondering if a slick will make it pull the front tires???

Also - I do have a Drag Bar. I purchased the one from Spohn. It's heavy, but I like the fact you can pretty bolt it on and then weld it to the factory frame.

A 6.77 with a 1.45 60ft is getting it done. Thats right about where I want mine to be. I have the same mph and real close to your time, just loosing it in the 60ft cause I cant get it to dead hook on the spray. Do you have adjustable shocks in the front? Try to set them really loose or full loose and real stiff on the compression side to get the nose to come up easier and stay up longer. Like I said, sometimes I pull the tires, sometimes just one, and sometimes I dont pull them at all. Its different every time I go to the track lol.
Old 09-06-2010, 06:49 PM
9 Second Club

Thanks! I have double adjustable Strange shocks on all 4 corners. My pinion angle is set a neg 2 degrees and the car is an auto. It has been lifting the left front on motor since the shocks. The pic in my sig is on motor, about an 11.8 or so. It actually has picked up both on motor before but not very high. On the gas it torques pretty hard to the right (hence it's time for a drag bar) and wired enough it picks them up about the same. I have actually loosened up the car a little since the 10.60s to try and get it to hit a little harder. Oh, the TB sure helps as well on my car to lift the fronts.
Old 09-06-2010, 07:15 PM
10 Second Club

Great thread! I have made a drag bar the only mod for my car this summer besides scaling it. Im hoping for great results. My mph has alot of room for more e.t.
Old 09-07-2010, 07:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

We use the Wolfe adjustable anti-roll. It's a stout piece that won't give you any problems down the road. Main thing, is you'll have to do a bit of welding, but that's not too big of a deal. Give me a call if you're interested. 225-673-3533
Old 09-07-2010, 09:14 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by second_2_none
A 6.77 with a 1.45 60ft is getting it done. Thats right about where I want mine to be. I have the same mph and real close to your time, just loosing it in the 60ft cause I cant get it to dead hook on the spray. Do you have adjustable shocks in the front? Try to set them really loose or full loose and real stiff on the compression side to get the nose to come up easier and stay up longer. Like I said, sometimes I pull the tires, sometimes just one, and sometimes I dont pull them at all. Its different every time I go to the track lol.
Thanks!! And yes, I'm happy with the cars performance and my new Strange Single adj shocks. I had them set up loose (1 & then 3 clicks) and the car jumped up very hard, but my 60' was 1 to 2 tenths off I guess b/c the upward movement and then forward. The 1.45 was with 6 clicks.

Back to this thread.... I'm also considering a slick just b/c the consistency. I can hook on my DR, but only if the track is really there. My second NOS pass I spun. Have you tried to tighten your front shocks?

And I like my Sphon Pro series drag bar (no clearance issues)....however, I'm not that impressed with there CS. You have to play question relay with them via the operator.

Originally Posted by Carter01
Thanks! I have double adjustable Strange shocks on all 4 corners. My pinion angle is set a neg 2 degrees and the car is an auto. It has been lifting the left front on motor since the shocks. The pic in my sig is on motor, about an 11.8 or so. It actually has picked up both on motor before but not very high. On the gas it torques pretty hard to the right (hence it's time for a drag bar) and wired enough it picks them up about the same. I have actually loosened up the car a little since the 10.60s to try and get it to hit a little harder. Oh, the TB sure helps as well on my car to lift the fronts.
Double are high, but I'm sure very nice and maybe confusing sometimes. My pinion angle is at neg 3 and mine is also an auto T350. What are your shock settings? And it TB - Turbo?

Thanks!!! - Jim
Old 09-07-2010, 04:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks!! And yes, I'm happy with the cars performance and my new Strange Single adj shocks. I had them set up loose (1 & then 3 clicks) and the car jumped up very hard, but my 60' was 1 to 2 tenths off I guess b/c the upward movement and then forward. The 1.45 was with 6 clicks.

Back to this thread.... I'm also considering a slick just b/c the consistency. I can hook on my DR, but only if the track is really there. My second NOS pass I spun. Have you tried to tighten your front shocks?

And I like my Sphon Pro series drag bar (no clearance issues)....however, I'm not that impressed with there CS. You have to play question relay with them via the operator.

Double are high, but I'm sure very nice and maybe confusing sometimes. My pinion angle is at neg 3 and mine is also an auto T350. What are your shock settings? And it TB - Turbo?

Thanks!!! - Jim
No I haven't tried to tighten the shocks up, I have been keeping them loose on the rebound and stiff on the compression side. But its just a turn of a **** so I will try that. I am thinking of a slick for the same reason, consistency. But I would like it to work on the radial so I'm going to try the dragbar first I think. I guess the dragbars work well because you can preload the suspension or something, not to sure. I just thought they kept you strait, but a lot of people have improved their 60' and et. By the way, TB=transbrake. Transbrake=awesome!
Old 09-07-2010, 07:54 PM
Teching In

No I haven't tried to tighten the shocks up, I have been keeping them loose on the rebound and stiff on the compression side. But its just a turn of a **** so I will try that. I am thinking of a slick for the same reason, consistency. But I would like it to work on the radial so I'm going to try the dragbar first I think. I guess the dragbars work well because you can preload the suspension or something, not to sure. I just thought they kept you strait, but a lot of people have improved their 60' and et. By the way, TB=transbrake. Transbrake=awesome!
Oh yeah, I could absolutely see where the TB would help you hit the tires really hard and pull the front end up to ****** the tires. But yeah, I'd grab a couple clicks and see if you 60' picks up. I would guess that it would as long as the car still hooks. Do you always use the TB? I'm just wondering how you car 60's off the foot brake. And like you, I like running the fairly impressive # on a DR!!

As for the dragbar, I think most peps are making huge improvements when they are coming from 1.8/1.9 60's down to 1.6. My car leaves strait now, but not a huge improvement so speak up. But then again, I didn't have mine on my old rear, so I swapped to a 12 bold and got the dragbar at the same time. You do set the pre-load, but that's more to make the car track strait during the launch. The directions are pretty clear on how to do that both from Spohn and UMI from another thread I saw.

Wish I would have added a TB upfront... too much cake and a lot of work to add it after the fact!!
Old 09-07-2010, 08:06 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My car is cam/150 shot. I have slicks and stock suspension. Best I can do is 1.52, even with slicks it doesnt fully hook consistantly but its way better than et streets were. IMO I think slicks would be better than a drag bar.
Old 09-07-2010, 09:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Oh yeah, I could absolutely see where the TB would help you hit the tires really hard and pull the front end up to ****** the tires. But yeah, I'd grab a couple clicks and see if you 60' picks up. I would guess that it would as long as the car still hooks. Do you always use the TB? I'm just wondering how you car 60's off the foot brake. And like you, I like running the fairly impressive # on a DR!!

As for the dragbar, I think most peps are making huge improvements when they are coming from 1.8/1.9 60's down to 1.6. My car leaves strait now, but not a huge improvement so speak up. But then again, I didn't have mine on my old rear, so I swapped to a 12 bold and got the dragbar at the same time. You do set the pre-load, but that's more to make the car track strait during the launch. The directions are pretty clear on how to do that both from Spohn and UMI from another thread I saw.

Wish I would have added a TB upfront... too much cake and a lot of work to add it after the fact!!
Oh I dont have a transbrake, I was just letting you know what TB stood for. They are awesome and get people off the line with a quickness though! I want one really bad and was about to buy one, I just dont know how my 4L60E would do. Its built but still worried that would be to much. Yeah I dont expect I would see a huge drop in my 60', but I would love to get down to a 1.45.
Old 09-08-2010, 04:33 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by TA1364
My car is cam/150 shot. I have slicks and stock suspension. Best I can do is 1.52, even with slicks it doesnt fully hook consistantly but its way better than et streets were. IMO I think slicks would be better than a drag bar.
Problem is, all that would do is make the OP's unloading after the launch worse. It's hooking...pulling tires, then spins when it comes back down. Drag bar will do more for that than a set of slicks. Your car would be consistant, and faster with suspension.
Old 09-08-2010, 06:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah I am going to go with the drag bar. I have a general idea with the suspension and can get it adjusted pretty close, but I will probably let RPM scale it and work their magic on it. Would an airbag help as well with the drag bar or is it not necessary?
Old 09-08-2010, 07:46 PM
Teching In

Thumbs up

Yeah I am going to go with the drag bar. I have a general idea with the suspension and can get it adjusted pretty close, but I will probably let RPM scale it and work their magic on it. Would an airbag help as well with the drag bar or is it not necessary?
IMO the bag would not be necessary.... you did say you already have anti-squat or LCA relo brackets correct? You'll like the drag bar!!

Quick Reply: How effective is a drag bar???