Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help With Stock Suspension

Old 09-20-2010, 08:17 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help With Stock Suspension

I have 2000 Formula Hardtop NHRA Edition, A4 trans, 3.23 gear. Just installed MT Et Streets, only mod SLP lid. Last Thursday nite at T & T the best run was 9.72 @ 73 mph, made five runs and all were in this range. I noticed the tach was bumping the rev limiter and the speedometer floating as if on ice until it finally changed to 2nd ( left in 3). Will changing to adjustable TA help the most to eliminate tire spin?

Also posted in Drag Results; T & T At Dunn-Benson
Old 09-21-2010, 07:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dlee
I have 2000 Formula Hardtop NHRA Edition, A4 trans, 3.23 gear. Just installed MT Et Streets, only mod SLP lid. Last Thursday nite at T & T the best run was 9.72 @ 73 mph, made five runs and all were in this range. I noticed the tach was bumping the rev limiter and the speedometer floating as if on ice until it finally changed to 2nd ( left in 3). Will changing to adjustable TA help the most to eliminate tire spin?

There are a few options for you car that will help with tire spin. Give me a call at the shop when you get a chance. I can get you set up with the correct parts. 225-673-3533
Old 09-21-2010, 09:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

and make sure your headlights are down when you make a pass. It's more aerodynamic.
Old 09-21-2010, 09:34 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tee-boy
and make sure your headlights are down when you make a pass. It's more aerodynamic.
As long as they allow fog lights for night racing and that the driver can actually see, that matters a great deal. I remember one of my first track trips not having the lights on and having a incident of knowing where the traps where, not good lighting down the track either.
Old 09-21-2010, 09:40 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dlee

To be VERY honest, what you describe is a blown transmission. Banging the rev limiter means the trans is having trouble with the up shift. You should NEVER be hitting the limiter in a 4L60e. Unless you have a severly modified PCM tune for trans values and something screwy is in there you have a slippage issue.

You never listed if it was 1/4 or 1/8th but based on mods and calc conversion, your running 15.11 and your waaay down on MPH from what I have seen stock.

IF you put some white tape on the tire, 3 x 1" wide strips from rim to the outside, and have someone tape the run, I bet you do not see it speed up and slow down. I am willing to wager you see the stripe accellerate normally.

Edit:

To add, I speak from exp. My one event winning car, a 94 z28 with a 383 LT1 one our local street night becuase at the time I thought I was spinning like crazy, no. It turns out the car was slipping at the exact same spot, consistantly enough for me to est. my ET and I won my first trophy. About 2 weeks later, the 1-2 was hanging, hitting the limiter and it was off for a 1,600$ rebuild.

Last edited by BlackScreaminMachine; 09-21-2010 at 09:49 AM.
Old 09-22-2010, 07:19 PM
Teching In

This was on 1/8th mile track, is there another way to check for trans. slipping other than filming the run?, I don't have a camera and the guardrails down the sides are high enough to prevent getting good shots of the tires.

Search this Thread