Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trans Temp Sending Unit Location

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 09:02 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

exactly... depends on the pan. most of the deep cast aluminum pans are thick enough to just drill and tap. if you have a steel pan either welding on a thread bung or a sealed fitting similar to a fuel cell port will work for a bolt-together setup.
Old 10-13-2010, 10:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tool vendor

Originally Posted by ssvert99
exactly... depends on the pan. most of the deep cast aluminum pans are thick enough to just drill and tap. if you have a steel pan either welding on a thread bung or a sealed fitting similar to a fuel cell port will work for a bolt-together setup.
I believe you can pick up a 3/8" NPT drill and tap from a tool vendor.
Old 10-13-2010, 05:11 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Firehawk441
The pan is where the sending unit belongs...
You need to know fluid temps before it goes back into the pump. This is will tell you the efficiency of the cooler.
Installing it elsewhere is like not having a gauge at all.
I agree 100% it needs to be in the pan...thats were the pump is picking up the fluid>>> The pan is only going to be as hot as the fluid in it anyway!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-13-2010, 07:37 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Firehawk441
Keep adding to your 12,000 post count with nonsense.
You seriously should stay out of technical dicussions...
ok rocket scientist, explain how an alum or steel transmission pan will not eventually heat soak from both the heat of the transmission case itself, and how the sending unit will not see any of this heat soak.

I want to hear exactly how the pan, is not going to see any of this heat when seperated by only a rubber or cork gasket, and how the transmission pan will see no heat soak whatsoever.

FYI I've been conducting thermal testing for YEARS on electronic components, using various types of heat sink technology and heat sink materials to keep various frequency drive components at a livable temp's...

If you have no actual useful data that will support your statement, have not run an actual test to show the different readings that can be had by installing a temp sender from various different locations, then you sir have no reason to add anything to the discussion either.
Old 10-13-2010, 08:33 PM
Race your car!

You still have not provided a single fact to support wether the sending unit readings will or will not be effected by the transmission pan becoming heat soaked by the case tempature.

Apparently you don't have any experience in thermal dynamics. But, coming from a life long mechanic I wouldn't expect you to understand that.
Old 10-14-2010, 04:39 AM
Race your car!

If you wanted an accurate coolant tempature the best thing to do would be to putthe sender in the return hose to the radiator. Unfortunately that is not the sole purpose of that temp. reading.

You still have not answered the question, how is the transmission pan temp not effected by the heat of the case itself. You've done a good job of avoiding the question and throwing stones, but have yet to explain this.
Old 10-14-2010, 07:54 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
You still have not answered the question, how is the transmission pan temp not effected by the heat of the case itself. You've done a good job of avoiding the question and throwing stones, but have yet to explain this.
ok... so where do you think the heat in the case comes from?... the fluid transferring it!!! the torque converter is the main source of the heat and the fluid goes through it and then into the cooler on almost every auto trans. why do they do it this way? it is because the rest of the parts in the trans(and the case) has no reason to run in fluid over 200 degrees when the converter creates this temp, the fluid flows through it doing its job as well as cooling it and being cooled itself before returning to the pan. therefore the entire rest of the trans gets it heat from the fluid, not the case! if anything the case will act as a cooler itself due to it being exposed to ambient air, not heating the fluid...
Old 10-14-2010, 07:58 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
I want to hear exactly how the pan, is not going to see any of this heat when seperated by only a rubber or cork gasket, and how the transmission pan will see no heat soak whatsoever.
I'm not a rocket scientist, nor a mechanic or even have any theories thermal dynamics or any crap like that but I would think that because the trans pan is finned and when moving has air passing under and around it that it would seek less heat soak than the case. Maybe I'm wrong, I don't know.
I do know that if I was going to ask someone where to put the sender I would ask someone with "experience" and not rely on thermal dynamic theories. Is this really a conversation that needs to be taking place here. Have we really stooped so low that we are considering thermal dynamic theories over members with EXPERIENCE??
Old 10-14-2010, 08:31 AM
8 Second Club

The pan and case is only going to be as hot as the fluid
I don't see were ur geting your heat soak **** from
Old 10-14-2010, 08:44 AM
Race your car!

The entire point, is that it is irrevelant where you are putting the temp. sending unit, unless you are trying to determine the effeciency of a cooler, say by putting a sending unit before and after it. You can put that sending unit in the case, in the pan, anywhere, at the end of the day it's being screwed into a piece of metal which, is going to heat soak and give a reading which is nothing more then a referance #.

You can put the thing in 10 different spots, and depending on the amount of airflow over that particular surface, will determine to an extent the reading. And, the reading, is just that, a reading that you can compare against another reading that you have, from a different day, effect of hot lapping, or whatever.

There's no right OR wrong place to put the temp sender. You can pick it up anywhere you want, as long as you're not trying to compare a # to someone else that has a sending unit in a different location, your particular reading can be useful for comparing different results, say one run with a x amount of cooldown, another with a different amount, different fluid, etc.

And my thermal dynamic testing that I've done, is well documented in a controlled enviornment lab, I can tell you the effects of different materials, differnt cooling methods, and cooler design. When you are trying to design a cooling system for a variable frequency drive that is passing 500 amps of current, the cooling of the main components is very critical, if you want to have the equipment last. Hell I ran tests with different liquid coolants with the water cooling system to see what that did, tried the water wetters, all that stuff. I have damn near a 5 subject notebook of results with 6 months if data collected on it. That being said, I have a very good understanding of the subject.

That, is the point I have been trying to get across......
Old 10-14-2010, 09:22 AM
Gingervitis Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The fluid in the pan will be cooler than the fluid in the rest of the trans, since in 95% of the transmissions this is where the fluid dumps when it comes back from the cooler. Also in the pan, the sending unit will be more surrounded by fluid than in the pressure test port.....its just the tip vs. much more surrounded.

I've compared my in pan temp to the pcm scanner (which is a plastic sensor hanging below the valvebody) and it has ALWAYS been within 5 degrees F. People who put the sensor in the test port have report temps with a much higher difference than what the PCM reported (compared to mine).
Old 10-14-2010, 10:25 AM
Race your car!

If the readings are withing 5 degrees, then that tells me that you are seeing a consistant difference bewteen the 2. Meaning, the only thing you would see different, is the base/standard temp reading.

That being the case, you can put that temp sender anywhere, and get the result that essentially you would be after by installing a temp ga. for the tranny, you want to know when it's up to normal operating temp's, and you want to know when it starts running hot.
Old 10-14-2010, 10:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

put the sender whereever you want it. I look for consistency moreso than absolute temp. As long as my junk is consistent, i know everything is working like it should.

To me, putting a tranny sensor on a vehicle is equivalent to putting a Speedo sensor on a boat.
Old 10-14-2010, 10:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

put my sending unit on the drivers side middle of the alum deep pan so it reads the fluid not case
Old 10-14-2010, 11:02 AM
Race your car!

Originally Posted by tee-boy
put the sender whereever you want it. I look for consistency moreso than absolute temp. As long as my junk is consistent, i know everything is working like it should.

To me, putting a tranny sensor on a vehicle is equivalent to putting a Speedo sensor on a boat.
Essentially that is also true.

I tried moving mine around on the last setup to see if I could get any better of a reading.. I got different readings, but in the end they all would vary about the same amount regardless of location, I knew where it was after letting the car warm up, and I always saw about the same amount of rise after 1 run regardless the location.. so essentially, once the base operating temp is determined, you then have a # to go off of.

Another issue is accuracy. I don't feel that these sending units, or the ga. itself from one to another are dead on either, try putting 3 different brand ga., or even 3 of the same manufacturer in and I'd bet on a variance of at least 5 degrees from high to low, at a minimum.
Old 10-14-2010, 12:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Based on your observations... How much temp rise do you get from the beam to the traps? I want to say I usually have about 60-70 degree rise in temp. My sender is on the pressure line (so it'll be converter temp).

To me, converter temp determines how consistent my transmission is going to be. Which is almost as important as how consistent my motor is going to run.
Old 10-14-2010, 01:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What drain plug kit would I need to install the sending unit on a stock pan for a 4L60E or what other suggestions are there for mounting the sending unit in the side of the pan?
Old 10-14-2010, 01:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

i would think most regulars in this forum could answer that.
Old 10-14-2010, 02:49 PM
9 Second Club

I think I'd rather overheat my tranny than read all this thermodynamic theory stuff.
Give me a break already.
Old 10-14-2010, 03:06 PM
8 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by tektrans
I think I'd rather overheat my tranny.
Give me a break already.
Thanks for the kick in the pants buddy. I'll erase my previous posts and I appologize to the OP.

Quick Reply: Trans Temp Sending Unit Location