Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So I want to start another build next year..

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 07:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default So I want to start another build next year..

Like the title says, I want to start another build in 2011. I have a little 96 model s10 that I thought about using. If I don't use that, I want to get into another TA. My goals are to run at least mid 5s in the 1/8 and mid 8s in the 1/4. I will be shooting for the NMCA Xtreme street class in the long run so it will be a procharged motor.

My question is should I use the truck or go with the TA? I have never done anything with an S10 as far as having one built that I drive (we have put v8s in them before), so I don't know how it would work at those et's. I figure the s10 will be cheaper to build and lighter from the get go, but will it be the better or worse option in the long run? I have also started thinking about an LS based Mustang. Thanks

Last edited by TN94Z; 10-14-2010 at 10:55 AM.
Old 10-13-2010, 08:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

ive been lookin into gettin an s10 and puttin an 8 in it and ive read that they rnt that light. like around 3500lbs dependin wat motor is in it.
Old 10-13-2010, 08:27 PM
Ph.D. in HUBRIS

A truck is allot of work to make hook. For a TA there is lots of information and parts. The S-10 you will be fabbing and tweaking everything from a blank sheet almost. You are talking some serious times that aren't very easily attained. You would be ahead of the game starting with the TA but you would a car that many other people have(maybe a touch faster).

I would build the s-10 because it is way cooler and you won't be like everyone else at the track that doesn't have a mustang. It will be a bit more work, but much more worth it in the end.
Old 10-14-2010, 09:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Coming from my personal experience, s10s pretty much suck... lol. I just buillt mine and already want to sell it. There is no room in the engine bay, exhuast is tight no matter what you do... Suspension isnt anything great... and yea they weigh more than everyone thinks lol... Time to join the crowd for me and get a mustang lol. They're cheap, light, good suspension from the factory, plenty of room under the hood and are just all around good cars to make a race car out of, alot of people have them yea but there is a reason for that lol.
Old 10-14-2010, 10:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2XR95Z28
Coming from my personal experience, s10s pretty much suck... lol. I just buillt mine and already want to sell it. There is no room in the engine bay, exhuast is tight no matter what you do... Suspension isnt anything great... and yea they weigh more than everyone thinks lol... Time to join the crowd for me and get a mustang lol. They're cheap, light, good suspension from the factory, plenty of room under the hood and are just all around good cars to make a race car out of, alot of people have them yea but there is a reason for that lol.

I didn't realize they were that heavy really. The suspension and engine bay were my biggest concern.
Old 10-14-2010, 10:32 AM
Ph.D. in HUBRIS

Originally Posted by TN94Z
I didn't realize they were that heavy really. The suspension and engine bay were my biggest concern.
You 4 link the rear, and if someone can fit a northstar in a Fiero I don't know why you would be scared to fit a big block in an S10. Not that difficult at all.
Old 10-14-2010, 11:54 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

There's a guy that races in the same 275 class ATV racer runs in with an s10 that's running a bit faster then you are looking to run, maybe ATV has some contact info for him... best thing to do would be to talk to a guy that's got one that runs.

I've helped with one v8 swap s10 project, the headers had to be made for it, nothing that was available would work. We also sort of went outside the box and put the radiator in the bed... helped make alot more room in it. 2 spal fans ended up being enough to keep it cool.

There's also a guy on here with a twin turbo setup on an s10, turbo's are in the bed.. not sure of his screen name but he may be able to help ya out too.
Old 10-14-2010, 12:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by custm2500
You 4 link the rear, and if someone can fit a northstar in a Fiero I don't know why you would be scared to fit a big block in an S10. Not that difficult at all.
Not scared of the fit. I want to know what will work the best. The classes are pretty competitive and if there is an edge in the car over the truck, then that's what I will build. I don't care if I have the same car as everyone else....I just care about being the fastest

But with my idea of the truck being lighter from the start gone, then it looks like I will probably build the car.

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
There's a guy that races in the same 275 class ATV racer runs in with an s10 that's running a bit faster then you are looking to run, maybe ATV has some contact info for him... best thing to do would be to talk to a guy that's got one that runs.

I've helped with one v8 swap s10 project, the headers had to be made for it, nothing that was available would work. We also sort of went outside the box and put the radiator in the bed... helped make alot more room in it. 2 spal fans ended up being enough to keep it cool.

There's also a guy on here with a twin turbo setup on an s10, turbo's are in the bed.. not sure of his screen name but he may be able to help ya out too.
Thanks. I may shoot him a PM or something and ask him about it.