Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anyone heard of the 4L60E "power gear" upgrade ?

Old 11-29-2010, 09:42 AM
I write checks with my mouth that my ass can't cash

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone heard of the 4L60E "power gear" upgrade ?

This is suposed to drop your time in the quarter by .2 roughly....does it make sence and if so has anyone heard of this or tried it ?

700R4 / 4L60E "Power Gear"

"The Next Big Thing". PATC has developed a new 6 pinion planet gear set for 700R4 / 4L60E transmissions. This will be the biggest thing in 700R4 advancements in years. These will have a 2.84 to 1 first gear, 1.56 to 1 second gear, 1 to 1 third gear and .70 to 1 overdrive ratio. This close ratio 700R4 gear set will have a 11.72% less RPM drop between 1st and 2nd than the wide (stock) ratio gear set. In other words the close ratio gear set will only have 88.28% as much RPM drop as the wide ratio gear set. This is what people have been asking for, for years. These will work on any 4L60E type transmission without a gear ratio error code, if the PCM is modified. The sun gear is made from 4340 billet steel and the pinion gears are 4130 steel. This gear set is used to reduce torque multiplication / rotating speed in the transmission in first gear. This improves track applications that overpower the rear tires upon launch. This is common with numerically high final drive ratios. Now you will have a choice between the wide ratio or the new close ratio gear sets. In first gear this close ratio gear set has a 7.2% numerically lower final drive ratio. It has been reported that the 2.84 gear set could lower your quarter mile time as much as 4/10 of a second over the 3.06 gear set. This gear set has been in research and development for over one year. You might ask why 6 pinion gears. The answer is because high horse power motors can eat the small needle bearings up in the pinion gears. The solution is to spread the load over 50% more needle bearings and at the same time building the planet gear set out of a higher grade steel. The first 50 are in production now and the approximate release date is May 2009. We have finished the testing in our test truck with the following findings. The gear noise in manual low is reduced by at least 50% compared to a stock OEM planet gear and at full throttle there was no noticeable power drop on the 1st to 2nd shift. Testing will begin later this week in an 1100 horse power C5 Corvette. The car runs 9.56 seconds now. Nothing will be changed but the front planet gear then tested to see the difference. Testing should be completed by 5-18-2009. Patent Pending

Here are the test results from the weekend of May 30-31, 2009. Both where run for the base time then nothing was changed but the front six pinion planet gear then retested to determine the time difference.

The first car is a C5 Corvette with an 1100 horse power blower motor. The best time with the factory planet gear was 9.56 and the time with the new 2.84 six pinion planet gear was 9.25. This is a whopping 3/10 of a second faster in the quarter mile. The time would have been even better if the 3-4 clutch wouldn't have been slipping. Perhaps as much as 1/2 second better then the factory gear ratio.

The second test was with a 460 horse power all-wheel-drive Chevy Cyclone. The best time with the factory planet gear was 13.10 and the time with the new 2.84 six pinion planet gear was 12.90. This is a whopping 2/10 of a second faster in the quarter mile. There was 300 to 400 less RPM drop on the 1-2 shift with the new gear ratio. This truck didn't have a problem with tire spin on take off because it has all -wheel-drive. The 2/10 of a second was picked up on gear ratio change only, not on take off.

Update 6-3-2009: Three more reports have come in with 3/10 of a second or more off of their E. T..
Old 11-29-2010, 11:46 AM

bump.
Old 11-29-2010, 11:48 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What they are essentially doing it changing internal trans ratios for 1st and 2nd gear to not allow as much of a drop off in RPM in which for a automatic car could spell doom for a max effort run.

What everyone who races the GM 4 speed auto had to basically change the rear gear ratio and adjusting tires and suspension accordingly. What this mod does is possibly make it where you do not need a sky high rear end ratio in order to get a positive result at the track. So basically for a non optinum race setup would yeild non optinum results.

The 2 cars listed for results looks to be Power adder cars which does make a diff as 1100 horse c5 running 9's is not all that impressive. The v6 AWD pick up has a different power curve as well. Most likely both cars NEED suspension work and possibly better tires and what this trans ratio does is hide the fact that the cars are not set up right.

I may be way off on this assesment but I see this "power gear" option for guys who have some extra cash, that want to be a little different but really are not that into their cars where they care about making it optimal for the track and if the option helps make it a little faster, they are happy.

I would say to speak to some sponsors here and get their opinion, they maybe a real benefit for cars that are set up correctly but I have not seen anyone posting race results with this trans.
Old 11-29-2010, 12:03 PM

its not the trans, this is just the front 6 pinion planatary that changes teh gear ratio of first from like 3.2 to 1.8....i talked to the guy and he says he has seen from 2-5 tenths dropped, i was just wondering becuase its a 1200 dollar part to put into ur transmission...
Old 11-29-2010, 12:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

honestly i'd put a th400 or th350 in it and build the whole trans for what that gearset costs
Old 11-29-2010, 01:06 PM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by 00blacka4
its not the trans, this is just the front 6 pinion planatary that changes teh gear ratio of first from like 3.2 to 1.8....i talked to the guy and he says he has seen from 2-5 tenths dropped, i was just wondering becuase its a 1200 dollar part to put into ur transmission...
It's something you do when rebuilding a transmission, the big issue is these transmissions are not the greatest and not all rebuilders are created equal and unless the guy doing the work has proven to have his transmission last beyond 12-24k miles then its a toss up.

I stand by my opinion that it helps cars with incorrect suspension set ups and helps calm them down.

Your running a dangerous game of making the 4L60e live and once the trans frags, its done, all that $$$ spent is gone. There are stonger options like the NON o/d TH350/400 or the O/D capable 4L80e which is not a cheap set up but gives you the strength to run real power through Fbody cars.

You just need to decide that you trust your tranmission enough that it won't eat itself.

I would HIGHLY recommend to speaking to some of good transmission sponsors via PM and get a honest opinion.
Old 11-29-2010, 01:26 PM
12 Second Club

I'm putting one in my 700 this spring hopefully, interested to hear some opinions from the trans people on the board.
Old 11-29-2010, 11:44 PM
TECH Regular

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I am putting one in.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:56 PM
Banned

RPM transmission has put the same thing in thier Transmissions and they picked up like 2 or 3 tenths on a mid 9sec N/A corvette. We just ordered a trans with the 6 pinion for a customer.
Old 12-02-2010, 03:19 AM
9 Second Club

Received 83 Likes on 59 Posts

[QUOTE.

I would say to speak to some sponsors here and get their opinion, they maybe a real benefit for cars that are set up correctly but I have not seen anyone posting race results with this trans.[/QUOTE]

Maybe there is a reason for nobody posting results about this mod?? You can take this comment either way.......
Old 12-02-2010, 06:40 AM

it seems like the faster the car is the more it picks up, they have 13 sec trucks picking up .2 and 8 sec cars pickin up .4 lol....im undecided but id spend the money on my high 11 car if i could get .2 out of it
Old 12-02-2010, 06:40 AM
Internet Mechanic

Anyways, like I said most need to look at budgets and thats a PRICEY mod for a questionable transmission.

I don't doubt in some situations that it will go faster but I question the OP desire to go faster for 2-3 for 1100$. Thats a lot of Nitrous, or even a solid cam upgrade that will make the car faster.

Btw I did find the site he was refering to.....

http://www.4l60-e.com/#Performance%20Parts Mega Raptor "Power Gear"

Just the parts are over 1100, dont forget the labor which you have to factor in. I find it hard to justify as with any car thats so built that they are looking at little tweaks to go faster, but at that point, why does it not have a TH-400 or even a Power Glide?

Last edited by BlackScreaminMachine; 12-02-2010 at 07:01 AM.
Old 12-02-2010, 06:43 AM
Internet Mechanic

it seems like the faster the car is the more it picks up, they have 13 sec trucks picking up .2 and 8 sec cars pickin up .4 lol....im undecided but id spend the money on my high 11 car if i could get .2 out of it
I could go on for days explaining but what I will tell you that ET gains have no direct correlation to speed in which that particular car is running.
Old 12-02-2010, 09:22 AM

well maybe if the car has a ton of power it likes the longer first gear...idk...the parts are all i would have to pay the labor would be free and i would pull the transmission myself, so if 1100 dollars got me 3 tenths it would deffinetly be worth it. Yes a cam would be a huge upgrade for 1100 but i have a grudge race vs. a heads/cam car that i need to beat stock internal...so im looking to get every ounce out of my car before i add a cam
Old 12-02-2010, 03:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

the big thing this does is correct the huge RPM drop between 1st and 2nd. it brings the gear ratios a lot closer to say a th350 or th400.

for what it costs to upgrade, AND put all the other good parts in it, you can get a much better trans into the car.

now IF you already have a ton of money sunken into the 4L60E and a good converter, it may be worth it. but by the time you've spent all the money to make one of these transmissions live, you could have a budget build 4L80E, a th400, th350, or a glide
Old 12-03-2010, 08:11 AM
Internet Mechanic

1100 dollars got me 3 tenths it would deffinetly be worth it. Yes a cam would be a huge upgrade for 1100 but i have a grudge race vs. a heads/cam car that i need to beat stock internal...so im looking to get every ounce out of my car before i add a cam
You can dump 300 pounds out of the car easily if there has not been much weight reduction and for the most part it cost nothing. Just depends on how bad you want that record.

The main thing I see with this post is there not a lot of info about the car which I can understand but when your trying to do stuff like this, knowing more about the car is very important.
Old 12-03-2010, 08:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

yeah I agree with Screamin', It does seem like a reasonable piece and possibly justified for someone, but the target market is small because the price is so high. If it were cheaper, more people would opt for this piece over OEM because it would then be worth it for sure. It would just seem silly if you dont have a built 4L60 already, why bother taking it all apart just to install this one piece or even better, to rebuild the whole trans? (which now, is adding a lot more $$$) A new trans or built used could be purchased and installed hassle free.
Old 12-04-2010, 01:33 AM
9 Second Club

Received 83 Likes on 59 Posts

I've talked to Chris who is the actual manufacture of this planet for Pact and he said that he will not make these anymore and whats out there will be it. He will service the ones out there but will not make these again. He said there is just no profit margin in the things even at the $1100 not to mention not many want to spend this kinda money for .02!

You have to look at it in a different way though. To ad a tenth or two to an already 10 second car it would take about the same amount of money or more to get your engine to produce what a .01-.03 tenth gain would do. So you have to ask yourself if it's worth it or not?? Remember boys, you have to "pay to play" as the old saying goes........
Old 12-13-2010, 10:22 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by ramairws6
I've talked to Chris who is the actual manufacture of this planet for Pact and he said that he will not make these anymore and whats out there will be it. He will service the ones out there but will not make these again. He said there is just no profit margin in the things even at the $1100 not to mention not many want to spend this kinda money for .02!

You have to look at it in a different way though. To ad a tenth or two to an already 10 second car it would take about the same amount of money or more to get your engine to produce what a .01-.03 tenth gain would do. So you have to ask yourself if it's worth it or not?? Remember boys, you have to "pay to play" as the old saying goes........
Chris who?

Side note: made a post on the bullet about this. Bullet Thread
Old 12-14-2010, 11:53 PM
12 Second Club

Not that anyone really cares apparently, but Chris himself posted in my thread on the bullet and said they're still manufacturing them and they're worth 2-3 tenths. Carry on!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: anyone heard of the 4L60E "power gear" upgrade ?